Could this happen for Iowa State?

cybear52

Dec 5, 2008
Ames
Ok so the Big 11 picks up Nebby, "forcing" the south schools to go to the pac ten, then Notre Dame Denies the Big 10's offer. Colorado fees to the MWC leaving ISU KSU KU and Mizzou could the big 10 pcik up these four schools? Mizzou for the market they offer the kansas schools for their basketball prestige and then just throw in ISU cause we are close.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
Ok so the Big 11 picks up Nebby, "forcing" the south schools to go to the pac ten, then Notre Dame Denies the Big 10's offer. Colorado fees to the MWC leaving ISU KSU KU and Mizzou could the big 10 pcik up these four schools? Mizzou for the market they offer the kansas schools for their basketball prestige and then just throw in ISU cause we are close.

KState for their basketball prestige? What?

when%20pigs%20fly.jpg

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Yeah, this could actually be a good sign since if ND comes to the Big 10 they will then need 3 more schools...at least one more for sure to get to 14.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
We've discussed endlessly that KSU has no shot in HELL to make it in because they are Tier III. KU/Mizzou/ISU/ND? Now that's a maybe. Sounds like the KS BoR is backing down.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Big 10's next couple moves are East before they look west again.

Bingo!

We have next to nothing chance in going to the Big 10. Missouri does MUCH more for the Big 10 than we do. So does KU for that matter. So does Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, you name it.

We are VERY far down the ladder folks. Just accept that fact now and you'll be a lot better off.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Yeah, this could actually be a good sign since if ND comes to the Big 10 they will then need 3 more schools...at least one more for sure to get to 14.

They will go after Big East teams to get the east market, most notably the New York schools like Syracuse and Rutgers. They will not go after ISU, KU, or KSU.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Bingo!

We have next to nothing chance in going to the Big 10. Missouri does MUCH more for the Big 10 than we do. So does KU for that matter. So does Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, you name it.

We are VERY far down the ladder folks. Just accept that fact now and you'll be a lot better off.

I disagree. If you look at athletics, ISU has strong wrestling already and KU and KSU don't. Iowa being in the Big Ten helps based on ISU in the same state. ISU would add a research component (ag) that would help. ISU academics in general are much better than both KS schools.

I agree that ISU is down the ladder, but I also believe ISU's chance at the Big Ten is greater than either KS school.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think we are better off if ND accepts. They then need another team for sure and they likely go to 16 so then they need three teams. I still don't think we are one but I could be wrong.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I disagree. If you look at athletics, ISU has strong wrestling already and KU and KSU don't. Iowa being in the Big Ten helps based on ISU in the same state. ISU would add a research component (ag) that would help. ISU academics in general are much better than both KS schools.

I agree that ISU is down the ladder, but I also believe ISU's chance at the Big Ten is greater than either KS school.

Wrong. ISU's chances are not better because ISU has a 0% chance of joining the Big 10. They want Nebraska, Notre Dame, and the East coast. They want to get Syracuse and Rutgers to get the New York T.V markets, making their conference that much more money. They have no interest in ISU because they already have the Iowa market, and ISU has no prestige in any sport except basketball. Wrestling makes conferences very little money, if any, so no one cares how good you are in wrestling. It's all about football and ISU is a historic doormat for football.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Only if this is only about TV sets. I know, it probably is only about TV sets.

It's ALL about TV sets. And ISU adds virtually none. Game over.

Why do you think the Big 10 wants ND so badly? The entire country watches ND.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
It's ALL about TV sets. And ISU adds virtually none. Game over.

Why do you think the Big 10 wants ND so badly? The entire country watches ND.

If the Big Ten gets both ND and Nebbie, they are golden. And if the Pac 10 goes to 16, you can bet that not only the Big Ten will match them at 16, but also the SEC and ACC/Big East. Big East teams the Big Ten has been flirting with may not be so interested if their current conference starts to up the ante and may hold off on the Big Ten. IF that happens (just playing devil's advocate), the Big Ten would still need three teams to get 16. Missouri likely one. Who else?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
ISU has no prestige in any sport except basketball.
With all due respect, you are an idiot.

You're right in that nobody seems to be thinking about anything but football, so having all of our OTHER sports teams doing really well doesn't help us much, but your statement is still so, so wrong.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
With all due respect, you are an idiot.

You're right in that nobody seems to be thinking about anything but football, so having all of our OTHER sports teams doing really well doesn't help us much, but your statement is still so, so wrong.

Exactly how am I an idiot? Because what I said was true? Because you, as well as most of this site is clueless about ISU athletics? Because you probably think ISU brings anything to the table for any conference? You need to get a reality check and accept the fact that ISU is likely headed to Conference USA to be a mid-major school.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Exactly how am I an idiot? Because what I said was true? Because you, as well as most of this site is clueless about ISU athletics? Because you probably think ISU brings anything to the table for any conference? You need to get a reality check and accept the fact that ISU is likely headed to Conference USA to be a mid-major school.

Oh good. I was looling for someone not clueless on ISU athletics and I finally found that person.

cybear52

Dec 5, 2008
Ames

Why wouldnt we go to the MWC or start a new conference with the remaining Big 12 schools and w virginia cincy and maybe pitt if they dont go big 10

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Why wouldnt we go to the MWC or start a new conference with the remaining Big 12 schools and w virginia cincy and maybe pitt if they dont go big 10

You have to realize outside of the our fanbase, people think of us as we think of Baylor. MWC at this point has little to no interest in us. Kansas obviously brings basketball, and wherever KU goes KSU is going also. Baylor is only in the Big 12 because they cried and moaned and got Texas to include them when the Big 12 was formed. You can't just start a new conference, theirs all kinds of things that would have to fall in place. You have to get other schools to leave their conference and offer them something better. Right now it is looking like KU, KSU, and ISU are heading to C-USA or the MWC. Best case scenario is luring good schools out of their conferences and starting a new conference (not likely) or getting an invite to join the Big East. Most likely situation is C-USA if everything we fear happens.

If Colorado is not invited to the Pac-10 and Missouri is not headed to the Big 10, that could mean great things for ISU.

Last edited: