Could we be looking for a new Non-Conf opponent in '17-'18?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I think so long as we have an FCS team on the schedule, it will always be UNI.
Just too much money to be made in ticket sales alone to swap them out for any other FCS game.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Don't they realize that with us on the schedule in a few years they are due for a sudden rise to the top of their conference and maybe a BCS bowl?

More seriously, FBS is super bloated right now with teams that really should be FCS. I doubt this will go anywhere but it is refreshing to see people starting to admit that and maybe take steps to move to a level where they can compete and succeed.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Don't they realize that with us on the schedule in a few years they are due for a sudden rise to the top of their conference and maybe a BCS bowl?

More seriously, FBS is super bloated right now with teams that really should be FCS. I doubt this will go anywhere but it is refreshing to see people starting to admit that and maybe take steps to move to a level where they can compete and succeed.

Let's not forget promotion to a P5 conference (see the Utah experience).

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The end game here is the lower end of the G5 (MAC, Sun Belt, and CUSA) joining up with the top of the current FCS (Missouri Valley, Big Sky, CAA, Southland) to form a new 2nd level that will have about 70 scholarships and play a 16 team playoff. The bottom of the FCS goes to D2 in all sports.

The Mountain West and AAC will continue playing up and each be guaranteed a spot in one of the access bowls.

NCAA Basketball cuts the bottom and just goes with the top 15 or so conferences and makes the dance even better.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014

Since we can't beat FCS schools this hits a little too close to home.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
After reading that article I feel really bad for Akron. They have some rivalries in the MAC and it looks like you have to be a member in football in order to be a member at all. I also don't know where they'll go. Dayton and Youngstown state are the only other two fcs schools in the state, and the pioneer conference isn't a good option. I guess they could go Missouri valley for football and horizon for the rest

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
After reading that article I feel really bad for Akron. They have some rivalries in the MAC and it looks like you have to be a member in football in order to be a member at all. I also don't know where they'll go. Dayton and Youngstown state are the only other two fcs schools in the state, and the pioneer conference isn't a good option. I guess they could go Missouri valley for football and horizon for the rest

That isn't entirely true. UNI and Missouri are both members of the MAC for wrestling.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That isn't entirely true. UNI and Missouri are both members of the MAC for wrestling.

To be a *full* member of the conference, Akron would need football.

UNI and Mizzou are associate members for just one sport.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I had forgotten about that, but that's what I don't understand. And UMASS is only a member in football. I wonder if they mean to be a full member and compete in all the other sports you need to sponser football in the Mac. Maybe you can't do what UMASS is doing

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
If they go down a level, maybe we can pick up their press tower on the cheap:pbiggrin:

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
If they go down a level, maybe we can pick up their press tower on the cheap:pbiggrin:

BUT NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE PRESSBOX OR SUITES. :realmad:

(except for virtually every other school in Power 5 collegiate athletics)

Last edited:

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I had forgotten about that, but that's what I don't understand. And UMASS is only a member in football. I wonder if they mean to be a full member and compete in all the other sports you need to sponser football in the Mac. Maybe you can't do what UMASS is doing

The MAC had a stipulation when UMASS joined that if they didn't become a full member by a certain date, the MAC had the right to boot them. The MAC exercised this right around a year ago and this is their last year in the MAC. UMass will be going independent beginning in 2016. How they're going to make long-term as an independent I don't know. Here is a sample schedule the have so far for the future. This is 2018. How are you going to find opponents in October and November that want to play UMass?