Couple matches streaming

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I thought this was some kind of Tinder thread.

Chris Stapleton is pretty cool...he's playing in background. man....good stuff.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Just saw Baylor knock off Wisconsin, still hoping for an upper division finish, but we need work. Speaking of Baylor, that coach is obnoxious.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm getting very concerned about this team's habit of blowing huge leads.

Yes and winning the first set, narrowly losing second, or third, then going down for the match. This happened last year too. Seems like the team is well-prepped then fail to adjust while the opponent seems to shore-up.

Why does Creighton (cheer squad?) make that slapping noise upon serving? And, why oh why do they have an unknown species of crow calling annoyingly through televised match? Crows are not Blue Jays. (It may be a Florida Scrub-Jay for all I know but it is certainly not a Blue Jay).

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes and winning the first set, narrowly losing second, or third, then going down for the match. This happened last year too. Seems like the team is well-prepped then fail to adjust while the opponent seems to shore-up.

Why does Creighton (cheer squad?) make that slapping noise upon serving? And, why oh why do they have an unknown species of crow calling annoyingly through televised match? Crows are not Blue Jays. (It may be a Florida Scrub-Jay for all I know but it is certainly not a Blue Jay).

Yep. We start hot and then the opponent adjusts........and we don't.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We needed that one but it would have been nice to win it in three. Nebraska next Oofdah mega

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We are killing ourselves vs NU service errors and unforced hitting errors

This 2nd set is just sad.* After watching yesterday's football I am not sure how much more of this I can watch this afternoon. :(

Edit: And, of course, as I typed this they go a unexpected run to close the score some. :oops:

• Winner
Reactions: Cyfan1965

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Did I miss hear Paul Sunderland or did he say we missed out on NCAA last year?
Yeah, he said that. He is the best VB pxp guy in the business but he either got some bad info or hosed up on his own.

Disappointing to be essentially non-competitive today, even against a team like NU who as Sunderland pointed out, did not bring their A game. Also disappointing to see the gap widen between ISU and the top tier programs the past few years. But plenty of games the rest of the season to see if that gap can be reduced.

What is most puzzling to me is the continued line=up tinkering by CJL. Against UNI, she used only 8 players in that win and that lineup appeared to be good to go for the rest of the season. Since then, she has shuffled setters and OHs and the team’s play has regressed.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, he said that. He is the best VB pxp guy in the business but he either got some bad info or hosed up on his own.

Disappointing to be essentially non-competitive today, even against a team like NU who as Sunderland pointed out, did not bring their A game. Also disappointing to see the gap widen between ISU and the top tier programs the past few years. But plenty of games the rest of the season to see if that gap can be reduced.

What is most puzzling to me is the continued line=up tinkering by CJL. Against UNI, she used only 8 players in that win and that lineup appeared to be good to go for the rest of the season. Since then, she has shuffled setters and OHs and the team’s play has regressed.

I am starting to get a bad vibe that we peaked in 2011* with just missing the Final Four and have been in a slow decline since then. :( That is looking more and more like the high water mark for the program and the Big 12 isn't currently even a strong league. It reminds me a little of the WBB program that flirted a couple times with maybe establishing itself as a top tier program but fell back.

NC this year is going to look tougher than Big 12 play. Should still do okay in conference since the only other teams ranked or even receiving votes are Texas and Baylor. Still, just not where I imagined we would be back in 2011 if I crystal balled forward five years or so.

* Edit: Made myself curious and looked up final polls. From 2007 to 2012 we had six straight Top 25 finishes with two being Top 10. In the last five years we had one Top 25 finish and that was #25 last year.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
* Edit: Made myself curious and looked up final polls. From 2007 to 2012 we had six straight Top 25 finishes with two being Top 10. In the last five years we had one Top 25 finish and that was #25 last year.
There are multiple factors for that IMO. One has been the lack of an all conference caliber of setter since 2012. And speaking of setting, anyone know the reason for the recent setter shuffle?

The other issue IMO may be facility related. Nebraska, Creighton, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Mizzou are nearby P6 programs with smaller VB venues that may be more attractive to Upper Midwest recruits that we are competing for. Iowa is now in the process of building a new smaller venue for VB that will help their recruiting. Is it time for ISU to explore that type of venue that could also be used for wrestling and tennis?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: harimad