Couple matches streaming

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There are multiple factors for that IMO. One has been the lack of an all conference caliber of setter since 2012. And speaking of setting, anyone know the reason for the recent setter shuffle?

The other issue IMO may be facility related. Nebraska, Creighton, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Mizzou are nearby P6 programs with smaller VB venues that may be more attractive to Upper Midwest recruits that we are competing for. Iowa is now in the process of building a new smaller venue for VB that will help their recruiting. Is it time for ISU to explore that type of venue that could also be used for wrestling and tennis?

Not so sure about the smaller venue impacts. The new dedicated volleyball surface does dress up the look for Hilton and volleyball. In any event, as much as I would LOVE a cool new arena, it ain't happening anytime in the next decade or two. Everything's football, football, football. We did get basketball practice facilities that are okay and while they were an upgrade from the nothing we had they are now pretty weak sauce compared to our P5 peers.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
There are multiple factors for that IMO. One has been the lack of an all conference caliber of setter since 2012. And speaking of setting, anyone know the reason for the recent setter shuffle?
I am curious to hear about this from others as well. I have only been able to watch one match and it was when Piper was setting.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

The other issue IMO may be facility related. Nebraska, Creighton, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Mizzou are nearby P6 programs with smaller VB venues that may be more attractive to Upper Midwest recruits that we are competing for. Iowa is now in the process of building a new smaller venue for VB that will help their recruiting. Is it time for ISU to explore that type of venue that could also be used for wrestling and tennis?

I dont think recruiting has been the issue. Talent is there. Hudson hurt the setting program and we havent recovered there since.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Not so sure about the smaller venue impacts. The new dedicated volleyball surface does dress up the look for Hilton and volleyball. In any event, as much as I would LOVE a cool new arena, it ain't happening anytime in the next decade or two. Everything's football, football, football. We did get basketball practice facilities that are okay and while they were an upgrade from the nothing we had they are now pretty weak sauce compared to our P5 peers.
A new competition venue would need to be privately and perhaps 100% funded from a wealthy VB or wrestling fanatic or via a City/University partnership similar to what is being done at Iowa. I do strongly believe it would enhance recruiting for both sports. And it could be also used for ISU tennis, summer camps and for club BB, VB, and wrestling tournaments.

And I would not characterize Sukup as pretty weak sauce.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
I think we’ll need to add beach volleyball within 5 years to stay competitive indoor. It doesn’t mean we can’t win without, but it’s something that almost all the major vball schools have/will have. Tremendous recruiting tool.

So far CJL hasn’t said too much whether she wants it or not, but it could be a great add to ISU athletics.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
If I've read the rules correctly, sand volleyball has to played outdoors, not merely on sand. Now playing outdoors in Iowa on February would be a huge home court advantage, but I'm not sure how great of recruiting tool it would be. Maybe we can petition the legislature to open a satellite campus in Lake Havasu.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I dont think recruiting has been the issue. Talent is there. Hudson hurt the setting program and we havent recovered there since.

curious if you can elaborate on this? How did Hudson do that? Just because we went from two great setters in a row to a mediocre one?

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
If I've read the rules correctly, sand volleyball has to played outdoors, not merely on sand. Now playing outdoors in Iowa on February would be a huge home court advantage, but I'm not sure how great of recruiting tool it would be. Maybe we can petition the legislature to open a satellite campus in Lake Havasu.

I sense sarcasm here, but to say having beach volleyball would not be a recruiting tool is just dumb. To keep up in the arms race of elite or even great volleyball recruiting, I think it’s going to be more and more important.

First of all, beach seasons are not set up like indoor volleyball with traditional singular home and away or a round robin schedule. Teams go to huge tournaments every weekend in HI, CA, AZ-wherever it’s warm- hence why it’s “beach volleyball” not “sand volleyball” It would hurt not having home matches but 90% of them would be neutral.

Second, there are more than 55 D1 programs, with more and more northern schools adding it each year. You’re allowed to practice indoors, many programs have just set aside an area of an existing facility rather than building something new.

Personally, I think if CJL reeeeeally wanted to add it, we would have it. I would love to see us pick it up within 3-5 years.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
It has to be a money issue with sand. You would need a new venue and if it is a choice between a new beach program and a VB specific facility I would choose unless you could incorporate both there. I have not heard anything about Nebraska's beach program at all.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
It has to be a money issue with sand. You would need a new venue and if it is a choice between a new beach program and a VB specific facility I would choose unless you could incorporate both there. I have not heard anything about Nebraska's beach program at all.
Nebraska doesn't have any problems bringing in elite talent. They're taking a recruit that is 40 minutes from Iowa State's campus. I remember another recruit from Des Moines going to Florida State because she wanted to play beach too. Iowa State needs every advantage they can get in terms of recruiting.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Nebraska doesn't have any problems bringing in elite talent. They're taking a recruit that is 40 minutes from Iowa State's campus. I remember another recruit from Des Moines going to Florida State because she wanted to play beach too. Iowa State needs every advantage they can get in terms of recruiting.

I agree but playing sand in Florida in February vs sand in the middle of Nebi in Feb. Maybe it is but it is already Nebraska VB so for me it is hard to tell if beach is the deciding factor for cold weather programs?