NFL: Cowboys Acquire Pac Man Jones

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Hey, just because Roger says to stay out of the scrip clubs doesn't mean pac man thinks he needs to stay out of the scrip clubs, he doesn't see anything wrong with going to the scrip club, why not be rebellion...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
In related Cowboys news, Ed Werder just said on ESPN to not be surprised if the Cowboys take one of their first round picks (#22 and #28) and send it to Detroit for Roy Williams.

As a Cowboys fan, I just got really excited thinking about that.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
In related Cowboys news, Ed Werder just said on ESPN to not be surprised if the Cowboys take one of their first round picks (#22 and #28) and send it to Detroit for Roy Williams.

Agree ... now if they could dump the other Roy Williams and his overpriced salary. He has become a liability on pass defense. Read they may not even play him on third downs any more.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Agree ... now if they could dump the other Roy Williams and his overpriced salary. He has become a liability on pass defense. Read they may not even play him on third downs any more.

Agreed. I'm a believer that Jeremy Shockey is pretty much the reason for it, too. Roy was a beast his first couple years in the league, but Shockey has really exploited him with that match-up two times a year.

With Pac-Man, Dallas has a ton of talent in their secondary. After Roy's first few years in the league, who would have thought that he would be their worst player in the secondary just a few years later?

I think Dallas dabbled with taking him out in passing situations in training camp last year. I know they were using him quite a bit at LB in their nickel package. I don't have a huge problem with it, as I think Patrick Watkins can play a little bit. I'm sure they're going to pick up another DB or two in the draft, and their secondary depth should be quite a bit better. They have the luxury this year of not having a whole lot of needs.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Breaking news on Sports Center. Sounds like the Titans get a 4th rounder in Saturday's draft.

ESPN - Sources: Cowboys agree on deal to acquire Pacman from Titans - NFL

I hate this.

I love this (if it happens).

I disagree, I am a fan of Roy. I think he's been asked to do things not in his arsenal. His best years in the league were when he was paired with Darren - a damn fine FS. Roy needs a FS alongside him that can cover well. That hasn't been the case for a few years now.

I do think Roy is far from great, but I don't think Dallas should dump him.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I hate this.

I love this (if it happens).

I disagree, I am a fan of Roy. I think he's been asked to do things not in his arsenal. His best years in the league were when he was paired with Darren - a damn fine FS. Roy needs a FS alongside him that can cover well. That hasn't been the case for a few years now.

I do think Roy is far from great, but I don't think Dallas should dump him.
As for the trade for Pacman, seems like a pretty low risk move all things considered. Biggest negative is if he acts up in the locker room or if he starts to contribute and then messes up. Not really worried about the former, but the latter may hurt us if it happens.

I like Roy as well. But he is getting paid far too much for what he brings to the table. They overpaid him because he is/was such a fan favorite (at least at the time).

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
His best years in the league were when he was paired with Darren - a damn fine FS. Roy needs a FS alongside him that can cover well.

You're 100% correct that his best years were when Woodson was at his side, but Woodson was a strong safety. Roy played free until Darren retired.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You're 100% correct that his best years were when Woodson was at his side, but Woodson was a strong safety. Roy played free until Darren retired.

I'd contend Roy may have been labeled the FS, but he played more like the SS - playing very close to the line in most situations.

Roy is really a linebacker trapped in a safety's body. Dallas needs to utilize him as such - improve their FS situation and allow Roy to do what he does best.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
ISUFan22 said:
Roy is really a linebacker trapped in a safety's body.

I agree that he's more of a LB, but I'd say he also has more of a LB body. He weighs 230. I can't think of a safety that is bigger than him, but I can think of some linebackers who are smaller.

Roy played next to a Pro Bowl free safety last year.

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
And I was shocked that anyone not named Newman was selected to the Pro Bowl, including Roy. I felt other than Newman, the other guys were average or a little better last year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'd definitely take a three ring circus if it means ending the season with six!

Hard to disagree with that, but I don't think the recipe for a Super Bowl title calls for some Pacman and Ocho.

Not to mention, the very good chance (if not near certainty) there would be an implosion of the team in the following year or next. Not all that different from what we saw after the Cowboys won all those titles in the 90s.

But, win a title or two and those things are many times ok I 'spose. I'm just tired of Big D standing for Drama and have been pleased it's been limited recently.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
But, win a title or two and those things are many times ok I 'spose. I'm just tired of Big D standing for Drama and have been pleased it's been limited recently.
Agree about the drama ... but as you suggested...

Drama + Ring >> No Drama + No Ring

Of course,

No Drama + Ring >> Drama + Ring :biglaugh:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
One can make the case that they already have the three ring circus if you want to count Tank Johnson.

While Pacman has an awful history with the law, I think he's making it apparent that he really wants to be a football player. The man is foregoing $7 million that is owed to him by the Titans, and he's restructuring his deal with Dallas and will have ZERO guaranteed money.

Not saying it will necessarily work out, but this is such a low risk-high reward scenario for Dallas that I can't imagine a Cowboy fan not being okay with it. If he messes up, cut him. Lose next to no money and they'll be compensated by the Titans in the following year.

Obviously there are some Cowboy fans in this thread. What are your hopes for the draft this weekend? If McFadden falls to 7, I think Jerry is making a run for him. However, I don't think he'll get past 6, and that is okay with me.

If the Roy Williams (WR, Detroit) trade is not done, I would like to see the 22nd pick used on either James Hardy of Indiana or Limas Sweed. I'd then like to trade down with the other pick because there won't be much value at DB there and I am not on the Felix Jones bandwagon. I'd feel better about picking up Jamaal Charles in the second round than Felix Jones in the first.

Thoughts?