Cpu and memory issue

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I am using internet explorer at work amd have major issue using there. Cpu usage will be 50-60 percent with memory usage of 1200-1300 mb before it crashes. This has been an issue since the major update of the site. I started using more mobile but would be nice to be able to use it on IE

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I am using internet explorer at work amd have major issue using there. Cpu usage will be 50-60 percent with memory usage of 1200-1300 mb before it crashes. This has been an issue since the major update of the site. I started using more mobile but would be nice to be able to use it on IE

I've had the same issue. Hard as it is to believe, CF is a resource hog. It used to be that I would leave CF minimized in the background and pull it up every once in a while to browse the forums, but doing that caused so much CPU and RAM usage that my fans would spin up and it would sound like my computer was about to take flight. It took me forever to pin it down to CF as the cause - I assumed it had to be some application I was using for work. I've changed my browsing habits, now I just look at the forums for a few mins and close the window.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Don't use IE if you can avoid it. In my experience it always has the most issues with memory issues/crashing/ running reaaally slow. I've had no real, large issue since moving over to Chrome on my work devices

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I've had the same issue. Hard as it is to believe, CF is a resource hog. It used to be that I would leave CF minimized in the background and pull it up every once in a while to browse the forums, but doing that caused so much CPU and RAM usage that my fans would spin up and it would sound like my computer was about to take flight. It took me forever to pin it down to CF as the cause - I assumed it had to be some application I was using for work. I've changed my browsing habits, now I just look at the forums for a few mins and close the window.

Yup. I have a later model Dell Precision workstation for my home computer running Ubuntu. If I view CF without an ad blocker, the cooling fans will start to ramp up. I can run numerical simulations on that computer and the fans will not ramp up.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I wish I could avoid IE but it is what is required at the office. Even microsoft says it is an outdated program but we have other programs that are designed to run with it so here I am.

• Dislike
Reactions: srjclone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sometimes IE is the only option on work computers.

Try this for me?

Click the gear icon in the top right of IE, then go to "Manage Add-Ons"
Then click down to Tracking Protection
What is the status of "Your Personalized List"? If it's enabled, click on settings and select "Automatically block".

I have a feeling it's the ad company CF uses, which tracks you across multiple sites and that's why you get semi-personalized ads. This should put a stop to it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Safari is the kiss of death for my MAC and CF. On top of the threads that flicker around as everything loads, if left unattended for short amount of time I get error "program causing bad stuff - please close" then it goes to a window to update flash player.

Chrome is fine but I like Safari better for some reason...

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Sometimes IE is the only option on work computers.

Try this for me?

Click the gear icon in the top right of IE, then go to "Manage Add-Ons"
Then click down to Tracking Protection
What is the status of "Your Personalized List"? If it's enabled, click on settings and select "Automatically block".

I have a feeling it's the ad company CF uses, which tracks you across multiple sites and that's why you get semi-personalized ads. This should put a stop to it.
This helped a little but it is still running very heavy. Drops it to 30-40% usage and 800-900 mb of memory

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have the same issue with Chrome at home and Firefox at work. If I leave any CF page open for more than about 3 minutes, the ad downloading process (or whatever) lobotomizes my computer.
If I close the browser down completely, it will eventually kind of calm down, but sometimes a reboot is required to get performance better.
I just have to move fast on a page. Sometimes I can't even get a post written and done before it all goes to hell.

Help Support Us

Become a patron