CR and IC Area breweries back open

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
You know, part of the reason to renew this thread every so often, is to place an emphasis on those breweries in eastern Iowa who are removed from the DSM/Ames area. Very grateful for those who have added contributions that are beyond an hour's drive of the CR/IC area metroplex. It would be nice to have an update for western Iowa (assuming this is as vibrant as east or central Iowa).

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
You know, part of the reason to renew this thread every so often, is to place an emphasis on those breweries in eastern Iowa who are removed from the DSM/Ames area. Very grateful for those who have added contributions that are beyond an hour's drive of the CR/IC area metroplex. It would be nice to have an update for western Iowa (assuming this is as vibrant as east or central Iowa).

I've had some really good beers from Marto in Sioux City. I've heard good things about Wise I in Le Mars too.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I've had some really good beers from Marto in Sioux City. I've heard good things about Wise I in Le Mars too.

Marto is straight fire. Sometimes my local beer shop will get some of their 25oz crowlers in stock, and they are so good. In the past few months we've been attending some events in Sioux Falls and traveling through SC on the way -- and I can hit Marto on the way home when they open at 11am on Sunday. They appear to have an outstanding food menu on top of great beer...not sure when I will get a chance to try that but if the opportunity presents, I'm all over it.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
North Central -- I assume everyone knows about Lake Time, but if you're in the Mason City area don't miss out on trying Fat Hill brewing on the square downtown.

Rongorongo NEIPA and their Milk Stout I've tried, and were top notch.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
North Central -- I assume everyone knows about Lake Time, but if you're in the Mason City area don't miss out on trying Fat Hill brewing on the square downtown.

When I lived in Mason City I would trek up to Worth Brewing in Northwood, IA.
It was more than decent at the time (10+ years ago), but I haven't had any of their beer since moving.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Nice tip, I will have to try that out if I ever travel that way again!

As an aside, I see that Fat Hill has temporarily closed "for a few weeks" as of this week. :( Looking to re-open in early June.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Didn't get to try any in Mason City, but was just at Lake Time a couple weekends ago. Nice place and really tasty beers. Especially liked the Bearfoot Robust Porter, and I am not generally a dark beer guy. IPAs were all tasty, but my wife drank most of them out of our flight before I could get to them.

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
St Charles Brewery in Charles City has rebranded and now goes by Tellurian Brewery just as an FYI for people who like to travel around trying these places. Same ownership to my knowledge, and same beers, but haven't been back since they made the switch. The info they put out on social media just made mention that they think the name change fits the vibe they are trying to put out there better than the former name. I always like "St Charles Brewery", seemed like a good blue collar name for a blue collar town, but I guess as long as the beer is still decent, they can do them.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone