Craig McDonald transferring

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You serious? He was a second year guy in the program that started getting more and more snaps as the season went on at an incredibly demanding position on a good defense.

People thinking it’s crazy that CM couldn’t get $ or that this isn’t a huge loss need to rewatch the Clemson game. The kid was making great tackles in space.

This is a big loss. CM can play.
Besides, it doesn't have to be "a mountain" of cash to make a difference. A kid can be enticed by a higher visibility program courting him. A modest monetary kicker could push a guy over the top.

But if what other posters are posting is true, money might not be in the equation in this situation.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Besides, it doesn't have to be "a mountain" of cash to make a difference. A kid can be enticed by a higher visibility program courting him. A modest monetary kicker could push a guy over the top.

But if what other posters are posting is true, money might not be in the equation in this situation.
May 1 was the cutoff date to enter your name in the portal.

Anyone even thinking about going somewhere else needed to get their name in there, just to make sure they have that option.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

This is an important point. A couple grand in the form of total cost of attendance swung balance of power to NDSU in FCS. There are plenty of schools that could throw more than that at every player on the roster, let alone a guy that’s probably getting snaps at a lot of places.

I have no idea why CM is transferring, but there absolutely would be an opportunity for him to get some cash if he pursued it.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Not an insider, but I am now convinced we abandoned the 3-3-5 and the pt is just vanishing.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
And make it so coaches can’t leave for other jobs too, right?

Edit: or be fired for on field performance also, right?
I really hate this argument. If Matt Campbell were hired away tomorrow, the school taking him would be paying Iowa State a bunch of money. If a player transfers for NIL reasons, we get nothing.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I really hate this argument. If Matt Campbell were hired away tomorrow, the school taking him would be paying Iowa State a bunch of money. If a player transfers for NIL reasons, we get nothing.

Imagine the scenario of committing to Iowa State because you liked Campbell. Campbell leaves for the NFL and we hire Brian Ferentz as the new head coach and you as a player have no ability to leave without penalty.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If this is NIL related, and since NIL is basically an ongoing draft, and the draft can be about potential....

This was somewhat my thought as well. Maybe he thinks he can get NIL money because that’s what he’s hearing from espn and other sports news media outlets about other athletes in the portal. There’s a lot of money being thrown around, and he may think he can get some.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
Imagine the scenario of committing to Iowa State because you liked Campbell. Campbell leaves for the NFL and we hire Brian Ferentz as the new head coach and you as a player have no ability to leave without penalty.
I’m not saying players should have to have a penalty to leave, especially if a coach leaves. I’m just saying I hate when people compare coaches and players leaving, because it’s really not the same.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I could see some mid-level team from a conference like the American or Mountain West going after guys like Craig with smaller NIL amounts of $15,000 to try to stack a team that could win their conference. Total investment of $200,000 could go a long ways in that situation.

And yes, I know it’d be stupid long term for him to go to a school like that, but all of us would have made stupid long term decisions in college for $15,000.
I did some pretty questionable things for just $1 in my younger days, so that makes sense.

• Winner
Reactions: DeereClone

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I’m not saying players should have to have a penalty to leave, especially if a coach leaves. I’m just saying I hate when people compare coaches and players leaving, because it’s really not the same.
You’re right, not only do coaches leave, they constantly recruit over kids too.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I would imagine that other schools know we don't pay much for NIL or we make our athletes do stuff so they know our good athletes are easy targets to get in their ear and whisper about the money they can make with an agent or another school. I'm afraid we may become somewhat of a farm program for the programs that will pay for our talent.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Some thoughts on Craig McDonald and Jordyn Morgan leaving:

- Very odd timing in general, it was so sudden for both, just a standard, short tweet... no graphic/long statement or any other 'transfer portal news breaking accounts' tweeting about it like you normally see. (Even teammates were surprised given Noel and Silas' responses on twitter, just so weird)
- Why go through an entire spring practice session then decide to transfer?
- Is it a problem with Broomfield? (would assume he's more of a 'players coach' given he literally played at ISU a few years ago, but maybe not?)
- I believe starters were scheduled to be: A. Johnson, B. Freyler, then Craig or Malik Verdon? Either way, both were going to likely see the field given how much they rotate those guys in/out at that postion.
- Did they get in trouble? Potential suspension/team rules issue they feel they can avoid at a different school?
- Maybe it was a competition for the 3rd starting spot going into spring ball and it was given to Malik Verdon or Mason Chambers or Trevon Howard (Freshman from IMG), but I find it hard to believe Craig just go passed up by all of those guys though???

Last edited: