Crazy thing happened today, what would you do?

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
So. I had a very crazy morning. I work at a company that has a gated entry but we also rent space from the building directly across the street from us. I manage the rented space.

I pulled into the parking lot at the rented, non-gated, site at around 11:20AM. My wife called me as I was pulling in. I was talking to her as I sat in my truck in the parking lot. I heard a car alarm go off. Didn’t think much of it. And a few seconds later I see someone trying to break into the car parked directly in front of me.

This is where my decision making and my actions following are being questioned.

Here is what I did. I said to my wife, mid-sentence, thar I have to go. Someone is breaking into a car right by me. I threw the phone down (still connected) and ran after the guy. I was so close to getting him but a car was waiting and he hopped in and they peeled off. I never saw the licenses plate and only got a description of the car and the guy but not the get away driver.

Long story short, 6 cars had windows busted and I stoped him mid act on the 7th. Cops came and I gave my statement, talked to security for the business, and was eventually told “the investigators will call you if they need to”. I’m sure I’ll never hear anything.

But, I am now in the doghouse with the wife. She thinks it was extremely reckless and I could have been killed. I see her point but I also know I would do the same thing again. I’m not mad that I chased the guy, I’m mad that I didn’t catch him. I guess my thought is that if no one actually stands up to people like this than nothing will ever change.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
So. I had a very crazy morning. I work at a company that has a gated entry but we also rent space from the building directly across the street from us. I manage the rented space.

I pulled into the parking lot at the rented, non-gated, site at around 11:20AM. My wife called me as I was pulling in. I was talking to her as I sat in my truck in the parking lot. I heard a car alarm go off. Didn’t think much of it. And a few seconds later I see someone trying to break into the car parked directly in front of me.

Here is what I did. I said to my wife, mid-sentence, thar I have to go. Someone is breaking into a car right by me. I threw the phone down (still connected) and ran after the guy. I was so close to getting him but a car was waiting and he hopped in and they peeled off. I never saw the licenses plate and only got a description of the car and the guy but not the get away driver.

Long story short, 6 cars had windows busted and I stoped him mid act on the 7th. Cops came and I gave my statement, talked to security for the business, and was eventually told “the investigators will call you if they need to”. I’m sure I’ll never hear anything.

But, I am now in the doghouse with the wife. She thinks it was extremely reckless and I could have been killed. I see her point but I also know I would do the same thing again. I’m not mad that I chased the guy, I’m mad that I didn’t catch him. I guess my thought is that if no one actually stands up to people like this than nothing will ever change.
my morning was really crazy too

i was roaming around town and found these buildings. on the one side was a gate so i knew i couldnt get into that lot but across the street was another lot without a gate. i noticed a handful of cars in the lot and i started going to work. breaking windows, stealing sh*t. it was crazy!

then i got to my 7th car and all of a sudden this crazy jackwagon got out of his truck and started chasing me! he almost got to me but at the last second i was able to jump in my getaway car.

got some pretty cool things but dang it was crazy!

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan

people been robbing since the beginning. they used to chop hands off. didn't stop them.

aint gonna stop because of you

• Informative
Reactions: RoseClone

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha

Wow that is quite a story. kudos to you for your bravery,. I though think that your wife has a point. My reasoning - the items being vandalized weren't living things and were replaceable. If it were a human being abused, in danger, being sexually assaulted, etc,....., it's worth it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Call the police and stay out of it. No sense putting your life on the line for someone else’s change in their cup holder.

The police probably would have had a better shot at tracking them down when they took off as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Guessing he didnt know you were there. If he was going to shoot he would have done it when your door opened or he saw the first signs of you. You were a sitting duck inside the vehicle so getting out and making noise was going to scare them off.

Smash and grabbers are not the likeliest to be armed. They seem to like to hit and run at first issue. What did you wife expect you to do? If you sat there quietly he would have kept smashing windows most likely. Until he came to yours

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Heros only die once. Cowards...
Your wife was right.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ain’t no way I’m chasing after them, probably just yell that I’m calling the cops.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Lay on the horn and call the cops. No chance I'm putting myself (and my family's well-being) at risk

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I would have actually used my car. By that I mean drove over to him, chased him to the get away car and followed him to where ever they were going. If they happen to start shooting at me then I would have rammed them off the road.

I actually did that with a hit an run I saw one time. I followed the person all the way to where they were going so I could tell the cops where they were.

Last edited:

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I would have actually used my car. By that I mean drove our to him, chased him to the get away car and followed him to where ever they were going. If they happen to start shooting at me then I would have rammed them off the road.

I actually did that with a hit an run I saw one time. I followed the person all the way to where they were going so I could tell the cops where they were.
I did that once and had to go to court as a witness. Guy never showed up and never heard another word about it.

Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

A properly sized life insurance policy could have avoided being in the doghouse.