CROATOAN

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Is this goodbye? When we come back here in the morning, will you be gone?

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
This was the message found on Roanoke island off the coast of Virginia when Europeans returned. Sometimes called The Lost Colony. No one knows what happened to the original European settlers.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This was the message found on Roanoke island off the coast of Virginia when Europeans returned. Sometimes called The Lost Colony. No one knows what happened to the original European settlers.

Is it really a mystery though? Croatoan was the name of a nearby island, the inhabitants of which, the Roanoke colonists regularly traded with. It's sort of like if I came home from work and my wife had left a note with the word "Urbandale" written on it.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
The mystery would be that when you and other investigators went to Urbandale, there would be no sign of your wife, or any evidence that she had been there.

Reactions: Angie

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The mystery would be that when you and other investigators went to Urbandale, there would be no sign of your wife, or any evidence that she had been there.
except, they totally have found traces of them on Croatoan, (now called Hatteras). They've found artifacts there.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ony-roanoke-hatteras-outer-banks-archaeology/

Here's a good snippet:
"In addition, a large copper ingot, a long iron bar, and German stoneware show up in what appear to be late 16th century levels. These may be signs of metallurgical work by Europeans—and possibly by Roanoke settlers—since Native Americans lacked this technology.

“There are trade items here,” Horton says, gesturing at the artifacts. “But there is also material that doesn’t come from trade.” Were these the personal possessions of the colonists?"

Occam's razor.

I think the "mystery" persists because people love a good story.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
So, I guess that means they might have been on a neighboring island (Urbandale), but you still don’t know what happened to your wife?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So, I guess that means they might have been on a neighboring island (Urbandale), but you still don’t know what happened to your wife?

The difference is that I would have gone to look for her in Urbandale. The party that found the colony abandoned initially made plans to go to Croatoan to look for them, but had issues with their boat and weather, and never actually made it there. The next expedition to seriously look for the colony wasn't for several years.

Additionally, when the governor of the colony had left to go for supplies, he left instructions that if the colonists had to abandon the colony, to carve their destination on a tree. And to include a carving of a cross if they abandoned under duress. The carving of a destination was there. The cross was not.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The difference is that I would have gone to look for her in Urbandale. The party that found the colony abandoned initially made plans to go to Croatoan to look for them, but had issues with their boat and weather, and never actually made it there. The next expedition to seriously look for the colony wasn't for several years.

Additionally, when the governor of the colony had left to go for supplies, he left instructions that if the colonists had to abandon the colony, to carve their destination on a tree. And to include a carving of a cross if they abandoned under duress. The carving of a destination was there. The cross was not.
Maybe they were going to carve a cross but it went something like this:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
except, they totally have found traces of them on Croatoan, (now called Hatteras). They've found artifacts there.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ony-roanoke-hatteras-outer-banks-archaeology/

Here's a good snippet:
"In addition, a large copper ingot, a long iron bar, and German stoneware show up in what appear to be late 16th century levels. These may be signs of metallurgical work by Europeans—and possibly by Roanoke settlers—since Native Americans lacked this technology.

“There are trade items here,” Horton says, gesturing at the artifacts. “But there is also material that doesn’t come from trade.” Were these the personal possessions of the colonists?"

Occam's razor.

I think the "mystery" persists because people love a good story.

I completely agree with you the most likely solution is that the colonists abandoned Roanoke Island for Croatoan/Hatteras Island and either (1.) died off (or were killed off...) or (2.) slowly integrated into the Native American population from there.

It was just tantalizing for so long because there was no (or very little) archaeological, genetic, or linguistic evidence for Europeans in these places so early to place the lost colonists. Much more has come online only over the past couple of years.

Knowing exactly when stuff you pluck out of the ground comes from is tricky, though. They would have to definitely date those findings to before later waves of European colonists showed up in the relevant areas to prove it once and for all.

I never heard this part of the story before. Source?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I completely agree with you the most likely solution is that the colonists abandoned Roanoke Island for Croatoan/Hatteras Island and either (1.) died off (or were killed off...) or (2.) slowly integrated into the Native American population from there.

It was just tantalizing for so long because there was no (or very little) archaeological, genetic, or linguistic evidence for Europeans in these places so early to place the lost colonists. Much more has come online only over the past couple of years.

Knowing exactly when stuff you pluck out of the ground comes from is tricky, though. They would have to definitely date those findings to before later waves of European colonists showed up in the relevant areas to prove it once and for all.

I never heard this part of the story before. Source?
It's in the video that you posted.

"The Governor clearly understood that if the colonists should decide to leave the fort, they would carve their destination on a tree and add a Maltese cross if they had to leave because of attack."

https://www.nps.gov/fora/learn/education/the-john-white-colony.htm

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
So, my ex-wife should have carved "Jim, Bill, Ronnie, Dave and Troy" in a tree in our backyard. That way I could have known what she had been up to. Is that a good comparison?

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010

So, is your wife still running loose, or lost, in Urbandale?