Cross country regional will be live streamed

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Wouldn't they seem they have a decent shot since they block everyone else in the Midwest below them by finishing 4th? They can't pick Minnesota without picking ISU so for them to miss than no teams from the Midwest get an at large.

Dana Feyen and Madelynn Hill are in as individuals if the team is passed over.
All 9 regionals are done, ISU women's team is not in. Feyen is in based on top 4 on a non qualifying team. As stated before, Hill will need to be hand selected for one of the final four slots to make it at large which I highly project will occur

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Only have to win one of the final 7 contests to take the cyhawk series for 2022

Pretty good start was needed considering this is a year where most games/meets/matches are in Iowa City. Essentially a road season for Cyclones. Home team gets an advantage every other year.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Men Finished 3rd
They are currently projected as non qualifiers too.

Sieperda and winders in as top4 individuals on non team. Rop and Johnson would be #6,#7 respectively. Rop would likely get a wildcard draw based on his body of work

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
They are currently projected as non qualifiers too.

Sieperda and winders in as top4 individuals on non team. Rop and Johnson would be #6,#7 respectively. Rop would likely get a wildcard draw based on his body of work
How do they come up with that? Midwest only gets 2 in but Mountain gets 7?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Women are out too?
For every qualifying team that you beat during the regular season, you earn a point. Run a weak schedule or perform subpar during the regular season and you fail to earn team points. There are some complexities beyond simply having the most points (a 4th place team with lots of points can "push in" a third place team with no points).

But, ISU women only had one point for beating auto qualifying Texas. One could easily argue Texas does not belong at nationals. But ISU women were not the first team out (Furman was). Virginia with three points was last team selected, iirc

ISU men are in a similar boat that they basically beat no qualifiers all season long for whatever reason. I think they will have two points and would need that mountain region to blow up pretty bad and have some schools get blocked by not being next two up for consideration (you can't "push in" from three spots back)

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Can confirm. Men with 2 points are tied 33/34 on the list. They take 31 teams. So they also just miss out. They would roll into the top 20 at nationals based on how they ran today, but they won't have the opportunity. Great regional, weak regular season.

Portland with 10 points was blocked by finishing too far back in their region. They suffer the opposite fate (great regular season and weak regional performance)

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
For every qualifying team that you beat during the regular season, you earn a point. Run a weak schedule or perform subpar during the regular season and you fail to earn team points. There are some complexities beyond simply having the most points (a 4th place team with lots of points can "push in" a third place team with no points).

But, ISU women only had one point for beating auto qualifying Texas. One could easily argue Texas does not belong at nationals. But ISU women were not the first team out (Furman was). Virginia with three points was last team selected, iirc

ISU men are in a similar boat that they basically beat no qualifiers all season long for whatever reason. I think they will have two points and would need that mountain region to blow up pretty bad and have some schools get blocked by not being next two up for consideration (you can't "push in" from three spots back)
How do they determine how many auto-qualifiers each region will have? Or is it just 2 for all?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I can’t believe the men didn’t make it as a team. Two individuals from men and women are in

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
they run so few races they don’t give themselves a chance for points to make it as a non auto qualifier

LACyclone

Mar 16, 2012
Beverly Hills, CA
They all get two. That takes up 18 spots. The other 13 are at large based on the points system I loosely described.
Hello, you are definitely knowledgeable about cross country. I’m a big fan of the sport and ISU in general, but don’t know about any recruits/transfers they have coming in for next year. Was wondering if you had any info. Also, do you know if Tim Sindt or Titus Winders have another year of eligibility?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Hello, you are definitely knowledgeable about cross country. I’m a big fan of the sport and ISU in general, but don’t know about any recruits/transfers they have coming in for next year. Was wondering if you had any info. Also, do you know if Tim Sindt or Titus Winders have another year of eligibility?
Sindt definitely will. He graduated high school in 2019. So this is only his fourth year post-HS, he definitely used a redshirt and would still have a covid year available too. If he wanted to, he'd have two more years.
Winders graduated high school in 2018. He ran D2 nationals in 2018,19,21 and will run D1 nationals in 2022. So he could be out, but he may also have access to the covid year

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Hello, you are definitely knowledgeable about cross country. I’m a big fan of the sport and ISU in general, but don’t know about any recruits/transfers they have coming in for next year. Was wondering if you had any info.
The start of fall signing period was November 9th. They have started releasing their newcomers on the Facebook page.
Devin kipyego, #1 HS in steeple and #7 in mile is the only male posted so far.
Twin sisters from NY are also posted, but they aren't quite at Devin's level. They need to sign athletes like Paityn Noe of Ballard or her former HS teammate Shewaye Johnson if the women are going to make a jump next year.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

LACyclone

Mar 16, 2012
Beverly Hills, CA
The start of fall signing period was November 9th. They have started releasing their newcomers on the Facebook page.
Devin kipyego, #1 HS in steeple and #7 in mile is the only male posted so far.
Twin sisters from NY are also posted, but they aren't quite at Devin's level. They need to sign athletes like Paityn Noe of Ballard or her former HS teammate Shewaye Johnson if the women are going to make a jump next year.
Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. That’s great news about Kipyego. And I’ll keep my fingers crossed that Noe and Johnson sign with the Cyclones.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. That’s great news about Kipyego. And I’ll keep my fingers crossed that Noe and Johnson sign with the Cyclones.
Shewaye looks like she's headed to Texas A&M, won a state title for Ballard two years ago.