Crowd Complaint

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I know, I know. Here's thread #147 about this, but I'm getting tired of everyone leaving at halftime to go have a few drinks in the lots. We sit in section 30 and couldn't believe how many people got up to leave with 2-3 minutes left in the half. Even more upsetting was the number of people who were still gone several minutes into the 3rd quarter. Some didn't come back at all.

Then to see people start to leave when we got down by 10, and then the emptying of the stadium when we got down by 17. It was frustrating to say the least. There was still a little over a quarter left at that point...teams have come back from that margin with that much time left, yet thousands of people left.

Do people not realize our players think the same thing when they come out for the second half and see thousands of empty seats because people are more interested in tailgating than the team? Or see people giving up on them with plenty of time left?

I don't claim to be an insider, but I know 3 former players pretty well, and all 3 have said it's a little disheartening to see so many empty seats after halftime.

I for one would like to see the re-entry thing go away.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
This isn't a fan issue at ISU. ISU fans are pound for pound (Wins vs attendance) some of the best in the country.

It's a policy issue. Iowa State has done a great job of making Jack Trice Stadiums environemnt fantastic and the time has come (10 years ago if you ask me) for them to no longer allow people to leave at half time.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
anigif_enhanced-buzz-19815-1374013198-21.gif

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
ISU fans are by far the most loyal that I've seen. Look at WINNING programs around the country on TV and look at their empty seats. ISU owe this fan base a winner. I felt it was still pretty full at the start of the 3rd quarter so many of the fans must have come back.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Boo hoo. I fail to feel sympathy for the players in that regard. They play in front of 55,000+ fans at the beginning of each game no matter how bad of a loss they are coming off of from the weeks prior, or the fact that they have won 7 games in the last 3 years.

Clonefan8

Apr 26, 2010
On tv the stadium still looked good until Sam led the offense out early in the 4th then it looked like a ghost town

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Want to fix fans leaving at half time to go have a beer? Then make it so they can have a beer in the stadium! Anywhere in the stadium!

BigJ4CY

Nov 30, 2012
Cedar Rapids
So they don't allow people to leave at half-time. They will say that if you leave you can't come back in. How would that be any different to most people who leave early anyway.

They way to stop people from leaving to have a few drinks is to sell beer during half-time. Give them something to stay for.

Winning will fix it for the rest of those who leave early and don't come back.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I think that the re-entry policy will stay as long as JP is here. Then he doesn't have to sell beer in the stadium in order to keep a lot of those fans coming and he can also continue claiming that Jack Trice is a "family-friendly" environment.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You'll never get many people to agree with you.

But I was taught never to leave games early. no one wants to lose that is coaching or playing.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
haha... NO ONE should be complaining about our fans. Frankly, I'm impressed anyone shows up. I don't leave at halftime but I'm not upset that people do. You need to have a drinks to watch this unfold.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So they don't allow people to leave at half-time. They will say that if you leave you can't come back in. How would that be any different to most people who leave early anyway.

They way to stop people from leaving to have a few drinks is to sell beer during half-time. Give them something to stay for.

Winning will fix it for the rest of those who leave early and don't come back.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Stupid fans, doing what they think is fun with there hard earned dollars. Won't anyone think of the children...err kids! Unless they commit a crime or there is a draft. Then they are adults.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Adam if they do that no one will return from their tailgates at half, they'll just stay out and drink and have fun outside the stadium.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
I wish more people left at half time to go pound beers. Keep it up until they sell beer throughout the stadium.