Crypto Currency or Weed

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Talking to a broker today and we got to talking about market strategy. He had some investors got into the bitcoin craze and have lost their ###, and two who got into the medical marijuana and have tripled their money. That brings the question, which one will win out in the long run, Greed or Weed?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Depends on how you’re playing each vehicle. Personally I love weed but any investment that has a large geo-political risk (that includes crypto) is not for me.

For me if I’m playing weed long term I’m playing Amazon, cvs, Walgreens,DuPont, etc.

Amazon as a future marketplace for federally legalized rec pot. CVS & Walgreens for if the feds legalize medicinal, DuPont or whatever chemical company supporting r&d.

The feds aren’t going to let this Wild West mom and pop **** fly forever.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hope weed. From what I understand it could go far beyond just making people feel goofy as a societal boost.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Weed stocks (TLRY, CGC, CRON, etc) have had incredible runs, but they are going to need to show the money eventually. I think TLRY had a 10 billion market cap right now, with 10 million in sales. I know the market is forward looking, but that's out of my comfort range.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I made about $5k on weed stocks in 2017. I got lucky and en up selling before they crashed but I don't know if I'd buy more. I don't know the industry well enough to know what's a good buy.

I got lucky once. I'm not betting it'll happen twice.

If you think pot will be legal I'd buy traditional players like MO who can buy out any real future competition.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Weed but not the THC kind, go the CBD route. That field is about to explode.

I think you are going to have a ton of daily CBD users once a little more knowledge gets out. I’ve never taken Xanax or anti-anxiety medication so I don’t know how CBD compares, but it has some really nice calming properties without the psychoactive effects.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I admittedly know nothing about bitcoin and couldn’t care less. But weed I know will be huge when legalized. Some are predicting full legalization in the next 5 years so if you can invest in the big players now you stand to make a decent return. It’s just figuring out who that will be.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Whar Tulips? I don't know that I really like any weeds stocks, I mean how hard is it to grow a weed? As we move to legalization pretty much anyone could grow it, you have no moat except via law.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Whar Tulips? I don't know that I really like any weeds stocks, I mean how hard is it to grow a weed? As we move to legalization pretty much anyone could grow it, you have no moat except via law.

Way too many lazy impatient people to grow their own. Instant gratification wins.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I think you are going to have a ton of daily CBD users once a little more knowledge gets out. I’ve never taken Xanax or anti-anxiety medication so I don’t know how CBD compares, but it has some really nice calming properties without the psychoactive effects.
Exactly, I listen to a lot of hockey podcasts and one of my favorites involves former nhl journey men. They talk about all their physical issues and mental issues they have gotten over their years on the ice.

The other week they talked about how they recently found CBD oils and ointment. They went from popping pain killers every day to none at all. They rave about how they don’t have cloudy minds and they can finally fall asleep. Many still work with teams in the NHL as front office and announcers.

They said that CBDs are getting big in locker rooms and they expect medical staffs to start carrying them soon. They said CBDs cut down on inflammation to the point you don’t even need an ice bath.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: Doc and SCNCY

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Talking to a broker today and we got to talking about market strategy. He had some investors got into the bitcoin craze and have lost their ###, and two who got into the medical marijuana and have tripled their money. That brings the question, which one will win out in the long run, Greed or Weed?

One you smoke while the other disappears in a puff of smoke.

Have heard investment guys saying lots of money to be made in weed but only if you stay as far away from the product as possible. Think accessories, vape pens, bling crap.

There is a real supply/demand issue in the west - WAY over-supplied.

Canada may be an interesting play since it's nationally OK'd.