Colorado 353k
Arizona St 314k
Houston 242k

And the PAC4 corpse (kind of surprisingly high):

Wazzu 907k
Cal 857k
Stanford 846
Oregon St 625k

The Athletic’s cfb podcast just said Stanford had higher ratings than entire new bug 12 which I knew had to be pure bs.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Most games on Pac12 Network get registered as 0 viewers.

I live in LA and have never seen a tv at a sports bar set to Pac12 Network. In contrast the cable channel that plays Laker games is on in every sports bar all year playing laker reruns.

I’m sure it’s more than zero but actual viewers are probably lower than our cyclones.tv games on mediacom.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Athletic’s cfb podcast just said Stanford had higher ratings than entire new bug 12 which I knew had to be pure bs.
Yeah I heard that but I think he said over the last decade.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I live in LA and have never seen a tv at a sports bar set to Pac12 Network. In contrast the cable channel that plays Laker games is on in every sports bar all year playing laker reruns.

I’m sure it’s more than zero but actual viewers are probably lower than our cyclones.tv games on mediacom.
But it doesn't take an entire bar full of viewers to get a lot when you have an area the size of greater LA. Places like Iowa and fanbases like ISU may dominate the % of fans interested but the size of Iowa will always be an issue. There is no question in my mind that Big 12 schools top to bottom have way more loyal fans than the PAC schools but how big are those fanbases/markets?

Last edited:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Just remember, this is only for one season. Probably better to look at 3, 5, 7 and 10 year average.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Average for the 12 game regular season:

TX: 3.06 mil
TCU 2.2 mil
OU: 1.748 mil
OSU 1.68 mil
Baylor 1.32 mil
KState 1.23 mil
Utah 1.16 mil
BYU 997k
ISU 882k
WV 774k
KU 732k
TT 680k
Cincy 653k
UCF 510K
Arizona 506k
Colorado 353k
Arizona St 314k
Houston 242k

And the PAC4 corpse (kind of surprisingly high):

Wazzu 907k
Cal 857k
Stanford 846
Oregon St 625k
never really understood how they tabulate these numbers.

Last edited:

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Pretty surprised TCU is above both Okie schools.
To be fair, they did have a magical, made-for-TV run through the season that certainly attracted many viewers outside their base audience (assuming these are 2022 numbers)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
But it doesn't take an entire bar full of viewers when to get a lot when you have an area the size of greater LA. Places like Iowa and fanbases like ISU may dominate the % of fans interested but the size of Iowa will always be an issue. There is no question in my mind that Big 12 schools top to bottom have way more loyal fans than the PAC schools but how big are those fanbases/markets?

I also don’t think unless you’ve lived in CA anyone can imagine how rare college sports fans are. I’m far more likely to run into an ISU or Iowa fan here than a UCLA fan and I live 7 miles from the Rose Bowl. The SDSU guys I’m friends with did not know they were in the final four.

It’s not like an Iowan is 5x or 10x more likely follow college sports than an Angelino or someone in Bay Area, I think it might be like 500x more likely. The only college fans I know are transplants like me, or an Angelino who went to Michigan and returned a Michigan fan.

When I drive up into PNW or up into Utah it’s different and I see college sports fans again.

Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I also don’t think unless you’ve lived in CA anyone can imagine how rare college sports fans are. I’m far more likely to run into an ISU or Iowa fan here than a UCLA fan and I live 7 miles from the Rose Bowl. The SDSU guys I’m friends with did not know they were in the final four.

It’s not like an Iowan is 5x or 10x more likely follow college sports than an Angelino or someone in Bay Area, I think it might be like 500x more likely. The only college fans I know are transplants like me, or an Angelino who went to Michigan and returned a Michigan fan.

When I drive up into PNW or up into Utah it’s different and I see college sports fans again.
Same in greater PHX. I do think ASU has way more fans than it seems but the % of people in the area who give a **** about ASU isn't that large. Nothing compared to what DM is for Iowa/ISU or like Omaha is for the Huskers. Washington seems to have pretty good support in greater Seattle. Much better than the other PAC schools in large markets.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Same in greater PHX. I do think ASU has way more fans than it seems but the % of people in the area who give a **** about ASU isn't that large. Nothing compared to what DM is for Iowa/ISU or like Omaha is for the Huskers.

I know what you mean though with the diff between just having it on tv or a bar putting it on and real fans. If it was to the point of truly being only about real passionate viewers and fans ucla wouldn’t have gone anywhere and we might have passed on all our recent adds other than Utah, byu and maybe Az and UCF.

Cal and Stanford are experiencing some of that reality, probably the first time big brands in a massive metro didn’t matter much because they really have no fans. If Big Ten ever does rescue them they know they won’t generate money in future of media and it’ll be for other reasons.

Last edited:
  • Agree

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I know what you mean though with the diff between just having it on tv or a bar putting it on and real fans. If it was to the point of truly being only about real passionate viewers and fans ucla wouldn’t have gone anywhere and we might have passed on all our recent adds other than Utah, byu and maybe Az and UCF.

Cal and Stanford are experiencing some of that reality, probably the first time big brands in a massive metro didn’t matter much because they really have no fans. If Big Ten ever does rescue them they know they won’t generate money in future of media and it’ll be for other reasons.
I know nothing about UCF. Do they have good fans? What makes them more attractive than USF?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know nothing about UCF. Do they have good fans? What makes them more attractive than USF?

I’ve been under the impression their fanbase is growing and engaged, that they built a mid sized stadium but our fans in it. My coworker’s son had freshman orientation a few weeks ago. They aren’t sports fans as a family and they asked me why the only thing anybody at UCF wanted to talk about was joining the Big 12.

• Informative

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Same in greater PHX. I do think ASU has way more fans than it seems but the % of people in the area who give a **** about ASU isn't that large. Nothing compared to what DM is for Iowa/ISU or like Omaha is for the Huskers. Washington seems to have pretty good support in greater Seattle. Much better than the other PAC schools in large markets.

I think in the big cities it comes down to being successful.

There's so many other things to get into, so many other sports opportunities, no one has time for things that aren't winning. You can only even have the time to attend so many games. If ASU were winning, they'd have plenty of fans come out of the woodwork. Same for a school like Stanford. Its high ceiling, low floor, whereas most big 12 schools in smaller markets are high-floor (because that attention is there even when down), lower ceiling.

• Agree