Cy-hawk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty good showing overall when you take the title in the year with more events are in Iowa City. Traditionally the "home team" has won most of the years where they host the most events. Difference being we finally won a football game in the series.

traboh

Jul 8, 2019
What’s the coverage of this in Iowa? Mentioned it to my dad who made a big deal about it when Iowa last clinched it and he had no idea.. not front page news down there yet?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Pretty good showing overall when you take the title in the year with more events are in Iowa City. Traditionally the "home team" has won most of the years where they host the most events. Difference being we finally won a football game in the series.
As it pertains to the CyHawk Challenge (plus a general question), I didn't think about event sites. Wouldn't that typically skew toward the home team each year as a baseline? (Especially basketball, but football site matters at least a little; not sure how much it affects wrestling).

I doubt scheduling was set based on CyHawk, but is it just a coincidence it isn't staggered at least for the "major" sports (like basketball at opposite sites each season and maybe rotate football/wrestling)?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As it pertains to the CyHawk Challenge (plus a general question), I didn't think about event sites. Wouldn't that typically skew toward the home team each year as a baseline? (Especially basketball, but football site matters at least a little; not sure how much it affects wrestling).

I doubt scheduling was set based on CyHawk, but is it just a coincidence it isn't staggered at least for the "major" sports (like basketball at opposite sites each season and maybe rotate football/wrestling)?

Wrestling is two points for Iowa every year, IC or Ames. Cross country is usually 4 for us every year. Volleyball is another that we SHOULD win each year but did lose last year in IC.

Next year football, MBB, WBB will all be in Ames. Football is a biggie since it's 4 point points and everything else is 2. No secret they dominate us in football so that's usually four points for them.

Here's a link to a Wiki page that You can see the advantage many years the winner has with "home field". Lately the "visitor" has won though. They slaughtered us 2019-2020 in "Ames" and we've won this year in "Iowa City". Overall we've done great in this head to head considering we spot them 6 or 10 points per years and we get spotted like 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclones500

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The all-sport series is essentially set up to rotate every year, given how unbalanced the home/away schedule is. The "home" team should win it each year.

There have only been 3 "visitor" wins (plus 1 tie) in 18 years.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What’s the coverage of this in Iowa? Mentioned it to my dad who made a big deal about it when Iowa last clinched it and he had no idea.. not front page news down there yet?

If Iowa had won it would have been on several sites and local news sources.

After this past week in bigger sports they'll act like nothing else including football happened.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Wrestling is two points for Iowa every year, IC or Ames. Cross country is usually 4 for us every year. Volleyball is another that we SHOULD win each year but did lose last year in IC.

Next year football, MBB, WBB will all be in Ames. Football is a biggie since it's 4 point points and everything else is 2. No secret they dominate us in football so that's usually four points for them.

Here's a link to a Wiki page that You can see the advantage many years the winner has with "home field". Lately the "visitor" has won though. They slaughtered us 2019-2020 in "Ames" and we've won this year in "Iowa City". Overall we've done great in this head to head considering we spot them 6 or 10 points per years and we get spotted like 6.

Football is 3 points, 11 other contests are 2 points each for 25 points total. Thus this year ISU wins
FB = 3
Soccer = 2
M XC = 2
W XC = 2
VB = 2
Swim = 2

for 13 pts and 13-6 lead in current point totals. there only 3 events left (Softball, Gymnastics, Tennis) so even if Iowa wins all three the final would be 13-12. ISU should have good shot at all three, especially softball and gymnastics.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
All I could think about when I heard chants of "Hawkeye State" in CHA over my TV during both the WBB and MBB matchups was how far ahead ISU was in this battle. The fact that swimming & diving clinched the win that very same week makes it even better.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
State now has a 9 wins to 8 lead all time in the contest with the home advantage next year. There was also one year they tied and one year it was cancelled due to COVID. Iowa always had the advantage in the series since it started on a year that Iowa had most of the home competitions so since it usually went to the home side they could always brag that they were leading or tied in the all time series even though no one had an upset. With the cancellation due to COVID they finally lost that advantage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron