Cyclone Club, Gridiron Club, other options?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
With Hunter transferring out, it should be a wake up call to us Cyclone fans that we need to do more to support ISU athletics monetarily. With that said, I'm debating on donating to either the Cyclone Club or Gridiron Club (yes I know neither of these has anything to do with NIL). Is one better than the other? Are there other clubs I'm unaware of that support ISU athletics?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
With Hunter transferring out, it should be a wake up call to us Cyclone fans that we need to do more to support ISU athletics monetarily. With that said, I'm debating on donating to either the Cyclone Club or Gridiron Club (yes I know neither of these has anything to do with NIL). Is one better than the other? Are there other clubs I'm unaware of that support ISU athletics?

Are you looking to increase your overall donation amount? Or are you simply re-shuffling money around to move some to one of the clubs?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Gridiron is 100% football. Cyclone club will hit all sports.

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
I don't know how much money your working with but if you're trying to maximize priority points for now or the future, I would do at least the minimum on as many of these as you can. After that, I would personally do the gridiron club, because football is king, but that's just my opinion. 1650374520457.png

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm just looking for one to donate to as I'm currently not a donor to any of these.
I would probably recommend the cyclone club. If you ever decide to become a season ticket holder, one thing that they used to count for priority points (not sure if they still do) is points accrued from lifetime giving. That’ll a few hundred here or there may help you out over time.

If you like a specific non revenue sport, just buy season tickets or a few game tickets and not use them or donate them to a charity to take disadvantaged kids to. It may not go specifically to that sport in the long run but would show a little support of the sport

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Reactions: nhclone

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN

Gridiron Club is also a 501(c)3, so your donation can be used as a tax deduction.

They have a few events during the year for members - one or two cookout and a couple of golfing events. We joined right before Covid hit, so most/all events up to this year were cancelled. (We got to attend a coaches meet & greet, which we enjoyed) We don't golf, so attending those events don't appeal to us. It'll be interesting to see what other events or fundraisers they schedule. Honestly, right now we feel like disconnected members. No membership card. Just emails once in awhile. I've found the best way to stay up-to-date is to follow them on social media. But - that said - we keep donating knowing 100% of the funds go to the football team.

We also donate to Cyclone Club since we want some of the seating/parking benefits.

Reactions: CloneGuy8

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
this **** all seems really overly complicated. Priority points, gotta be in this club to get parking perks. Gotta be in that club to be in the best position for football tickets etc etc etc. I think it’s a barrier to anyone like 50 and under that doesn’t need to be there.

Get a credit/debit card that rounds up every purchase and it goes towards the “donation” levels. Have a “new donor” special. Give the next level Up benefits for the price of the tier below for any new donor. Treat it like a country club, not a ****** booster club.

Have an “All In” Option or “50/50 club” where the donors get to split their money between sports and academics.

There is just no way that people are going to start donating after hearing about all of the ******** that people have to go through for what amounts to not that great of perks. “I can get better tickets and a parking pass for cheaper on CF/StubHub/Facebook and if I can’t go on a Saturday then I’m not out those tickets/money/have to do any extra work to sell them”. That is what the donation collectors are up against. Gonna have to take a little hit up front to stabilize the future and the school doesn’t seem willing to do that so they can **** off for now.

And I’m fully aware of the brain drain in Iowa. Not enough alumni live in the state and new grads leave the state. That’s another problem that ISU needs to figure out how to tackle because no one is going to do it for them.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Do you buy things from Amazon?

If you want to help in some way but can't or don't want to make a donation for whatever reasons, you CAN help the Gridiron Club if you buy with Amazon. Set up Amazon Smile and select the Iowa State Cyclone Gridiron Club. Every time you make a purchase through Amazon Smile, they will donate a small percentage of what you spend to the Gridiron Club. (Just make sure before you hit the final purchase button that you're under Amazon Smile and not the regular Amazon page....yeah...there's a difference.)

You can also see how much you've contributed and how much the club has earned in overall donations.

I'm sure every little bit helps.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do you buy things from Amazon?

If you want to help in some way but can't or don't want to make a donation for whatever reasons, you CAN help the Gridiron Club if you buy with Amazon. Set up Amazon Smile and select the Iowa State Cyclone Gridiron Club. Every time you make a purchase through Amazon Smile, they will donate a small percentage of what you spend to the Gridiron Club. (Just make sure before you hit the final purchase button that you're under Amazon Smile and not the regular Amazon page....yeah...there's a difference.)

You can also see how much you've contributed and how much the club has earned in overall donations.

I'm sure every little bit helps.

WHY IS NO ONE PROMOTING THIS

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No clue. It should be.

I mentioned it back when someone posted the poll asking if or where you donated.

Makes me cringe even harder when JP/talking heads screaming POVERTY! every chance they get. I don’t like the way the AD and donation arms are run. That’s a big reason why I don’t donate. Instead of looking at every non-donater as a potential Director, they look at them like dead fish.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Makes me cringe even harder when JP/talking heads screaming POVERTY! every chance they get. I don’t like the way the AD and donation arms are run. That’s a big reason why I don’t donate. Instead of looking at every non-donater as a potential Director, they look at them like dead fish.

I personally don't view them as screaming poverty, but I could see how some could. They do talk a lot about the financial aspects of running a competitive collegiate sports program, which can be daunting when we compare ISU to other colleges.

I was a director of a small nonprofit organization for a few years. Finding financial donors (aka members or investors) was challenging. A financial donation is probably one the easiest ways to raise money. But...each individual has a reason to donate or not donate and finding a way to appeal to everyone is near impossible. Each person has their own "recognition" desire with donating, whether it's benefits or some other form of recognition.

IMO there are other ways people can contribute that would help an organization (like with Amazon Prime). The trick is figuring those out and reaching those individuals. If I remember right, (on average) a person needs to hear new information three times before it registers.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you don’t care about the write off for donations, get a bunch dollar bills and hit up the shaker joints nearby. All the girls used to say they were dancing to put themselves through school so you would be giving a bunch of $1 scholarships out.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Which is?
When $$$ is budgeted to sports, title IX guidelines are followed. Doesn't matter where they come from or how they are donated. The bottom line is proportion is followed. Gridiron funds may be labeled FB but they are still part of the pot. Just a way for extra fundraising. Semantics.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyientist