*** Cyclone Fanatic Cereal Tournament: Sweet Sixteen ***

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The fact that Captain Crunch Peanut Butter was eliminated already, tells me that y'all were dropped on your heads when you were young.
It was massively underseeded as a 10 seed, and running into the behemoth that is lucky charms made this an early elimination. Personally think it should have been a 1-2 seed.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It was massively underseeded as a 10 seed, and running into the behemoth that is lucky charms made this an early elimination. Personally think it should have been a 1-2 seed.
So the seeding committee is responsible for this monstrosity.... aka the fix is in.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Get rid of the Charms and it ain't that Lucky anymore!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think our cabinet at one time had Lucky Charms, Peanut Butter Crunch, Special K with Berries. Always had to have a box of Rice Krispies on hand for Scotcharoos.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Partial response to inquiry from @jbhtexas in the R64 thread.

“So are we going to get a W/L breakdown by conference, i.e. Kelloggs, General Mills, Post, Nestle, etc.?”

I don’t have the full tournament summary, but here’s the Sweet 16 by company "conference." Arranged alpha by seed line. If anyone spots errors, please alert.

Kellogg’s (6)
(C1) Corn Flakes
(R1) Rice Krispies
(W1) Frosted Flakes
(C3) Froot Loops
(R5) Apple Jacks
(O8) Frosted Mini-Wheats

General Mills (5)
(O2) Lucky Charms
(R2) Cinnamon Toast Crunch
(W2) Honey Nut Cheerios
(R3) Trix
(C4) Cocoa Puffs

Post (3)
(O3) Cocoa Pebbles
(W3) Fruity Pebbles
(W4) Raisin Bran

Quaker (2)

(C1) Cap’n Crunch
(O4) Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries

None: Malt-o-Meal (S’mores), Independent (Granola) … note: Nestle does Shredded Wheat in UK, but it’s Post worldwide.
When did Raisin Bran become a Post Cereal? I have the commercial rattling around in my head from when I was a kid. 2 scoops of raisins are the reason, Kelloggs Raisin Bran is so pleasin'....prove me wrong! :cool:

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
The fact that Captain Crunch Peanut Butter was eliminated already, tells me that y'all were dropped on your heads when you were young.
The kids that were dropped on their heads typically frequent hawkeyelounge.com, but it is shocking that there are that many CF folks that werent loved as kids

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
When did Raisin Bran become a Post Cereal? I have the commercial rattling around in my head from when I was a kid. 2 scoops of raisins are the reason, Kelloggs Raisin Bran is so pleasin'....prove me wrong! :cool:
Apparently Raisin Bran can't be trademarked as it is too generic and simply describes the ingredients.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

I had to Google it. Interesting story.

Turns out that the history of Raisin Bran isn’t so sweet, and Kellogg’s was not always producing Raisin Bran… In 1925, the brand “Skinner” began selling a breakfast cereal with bran flakes and raisins. They called it Raisin-BRAN. They were the only company to sell a cereal called Raisin Bran, and they even trademarked the name. They had a monopoly! …until 1942. In that year, both Kellogg Company and General Foods Corporation began selling bran flake cereals with raisins in them. They called it Raisin Bran.

But Skinner had a trademark on Raisin-BRAN! Skinner contacted General Foods and Kellogg, reminded them of the trademark, and asked them to change their name. That didn’t work. Skinner, Kellogg, and General Foods eventually went to court. Skinner claimed that because of their trademark General Foods and Kellogg could not cereal under the name of Raisin Bran. Skinner ended up losing the case for two reasons: (1) raisin bran is a description of the product, just as raisin pie would describe a pie with raisins. and (2) General Foods and Kellogg’s had their name on the box of Raisin Bran, so it would not be confused with Skinner’s Raisin Bran.

You can still buy Skinner’s Raisin Bran. On their box it even says “America’s First Raisin Bran.”

Just another reason for me to never vote for Raisin Bran. Kellogg's screwed over the little guy.