NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Dang. That was fast. At the very least, I don't think Monte will get extended this year

Maybe not, Mike, but it's hard to imagine having both of them on the court at the same time, given the size of NBA wings. Of course, I could be wrong ...

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cyientist

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I love watching the Nuggets because of Monte, I hope they don’t trade him. He is good enough that he isn’t in any danger of being bounced from the league at least.

It’s hard to imagine Monte to go from closing playoff games to getting regulated to 3rd sting PG. Malone likes Monte on the court way too much for that.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Seems to have been published yesterday. The Pacers did not offer Naz a contract. This year's timing is problematic because there 1. may not be a G League season this year and 2. the good contracts to play overseas happen in the summer, when guys like Naz and Burton were still under contract due to the suspension of the NBA season.

Brian Bowen and Naz Mitrou-Long will become unrestricted free agents after the Pacers chose not to extend qualifying offers to either guard.

Neither player has ever been a consistent part of an NBA rotation and will look to continue to improve their abilities to try and stay in the league.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Crap - none of these is a huge surprise but we're now down Deonte, Naz and Marial. Shayok was waived today by the new regime in Philly. They brought in a lot of shooters to play wing and he apparently didn't do enough to impress them last year in the G League. From Liberty Ballers:

The Philadelphia 76ers are waiving two-way player Marial Shayok, according to Kyle Neubeck of Philly Voice. The Sixers selected Shayok 54th overall in the 2019 NBA Draft and Shayok had occupied one of the Sixers two two-way roster spots. This move comes on the heels of the team waiving Norvel Pelle and signing Dakota Mathias to a two-way contact. With Shayok on the outs, Philly will have one two-way roster spot left which could to go Paul Reed, who the franchise drafted 58th overall in Wednesday evening’s 2020 NBA Draft.

Shayok had some success in the G-League over the 2019-2020 season as a volume scorer with Sixers affiliate Delware Blue Coats, averaging 22.4 points on 18.8 shots per game while shooting 45.6% from the floor, 35.8% from 3PT, and 88.9% from the line. Unfortunately for Shayok, being a volume scorer with ‘meh’ efficiency in the G-League isn’t all that impressive — or at least, the Sixers didn’t think so. He played just four games for the pro club with a total of 28 minutes, mostly in garbage time.

What Shayok’s future holds is uncertain. He was passed on in favor of 53 other players the 2019 NBA Draft and some analysts were surprised the Sixers spent a draft pick on him at all. At this point, by prospect standards, he’s old at age 25 with just one NBA season under his belt. Shayok may look to international opportunities or to spend another year in the G-League, but I wouldn’t expect to see him getting much NBA run in the near future.

Link: https://www.libertyballers.com/2020...elphia-norvel-pelle-dakota-mathias-isaiah-joe

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
I love watching the Nuggets because of Monte, I hope they don’t trade him. He is good enough that he isn’t in any danger of being bounced from the league at least.

It’s hard to imagine Monte to go from closing playoff games to getting regulated to 3rd sting PG. Malone likes Monte on the court way too much for that.
What’s the market going to be for Monte money wise? I feel like he’s easily in the best position to get the bag out of all the clones in the league

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Crap - none of these is a huge surprise but we're now down Deonte, Naz and Marial. Shayok was waived today by the new regime in Philly. They brought in a lot of shooters to play wing and he apparently didn't do enough to impress them last year in the G League. From Liberty Ballers:

The Philadelphia 76ers are waiving two-way player Marial Shayok, according to Kyle Neubeck of Philly Voice. The Sixers selected Shayok 54th overall in the 2019 NBA Draft and Shayok had occupied one of the Sixers two two-way roster spots. This move comes on the heels of the team waiving Norvel Pelle and signing Dakota Mathias to a two-way contact. With Shayok on the outs, Philly will have one two-way roster spot left which could to go Paul Reed, who the franchise drafted 58th overall in Wednesday evening’s 2020 NBA Draft.

Shayok had some success in the G-League over the 2019-2020 season as a volume scorer with Sixers affiliate Delware Blue Coats, averaging 22.4 points on 18.8 shots per game while shooting 45.6% from the floor, 35.8% from 3PT, and 88.9% from the line. Unfortunately for Shayok, being a volume scorer with ‘meh’ efficiency in the G-League isn’t all that impressive — or at least, the Sixers didn’t think so. He played just four games for the pro club with a total of 28 minutes, mostly in garbage time.

What Shayok’s future holds is uncertain. He was passed on in favor of 53 other players the 2019 NBA Draft and some analysts were surprised the Sixers spent a draft pick on him at all. At this point, by prospect standards, he’s old at age 25 with just one NBA season under his belt. Shayok may look to international opportunities or to spend another year in the G-League, but I wouldn’t expect to see him getting much NBA run in the near future.

Link: https://www.libertyballers.com/2020...elphia-norvel-pelle-dakota-mathias-isaiah-joe

Dang I-state, enough with the bad news today!

I admire Naz for chasing his dream, but it’s time to get paid in Europe. I don’t know what was up with Burton. He had such a meteoric rise to get into the league, but disappeared last year. Almost seemed like he lost his edge, but who knows.

As much as the weird schedule probably helped guys like Niang and Matt Thomas not getting clipped by new blood, Shayok could have used a summer league and preseason games.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
What’s the market going to be for Monte money wise? I feel like he’s easily in the best position to get the bag out of all the clones in the league

He has a team option this year on his contract for 1.7million and the. He can opt out of his contract before next year. There was thought Denver could extend him this year to avoid letting him get to free agency, but that looks less likely since they will need to pay him. Below is tweet from Bobby Marks putting him in the 4 yr 53 mil range.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Dang I-state, enough with the bad news today!

I admire Naz for chasing his dream, but it’s time to get paid in Europe. I don’t know what was up with Burton. He had such a meteoric rise to get into the league, but disappeared last year. Almost seemed like he lost his edge, but who knows.

As much as the weird schedule probably helped guys like Niang and Matt Thomas not getting clipped by new blood, Shayok could have used a summer league and preseason games.

Don't shoot the messenger :)

Teams often take a shot at guys on the end of their bench hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and fine a real difference-maker. I think they see Naz's ceiling and it's high enough to be on an NBA bench but probably not anyone's rotation. Those guys are disposable goods for NBA teams - there are always fringe players available.

I've felt for quite a while that he needs to get to the high-end Euro League type teams, a la Will Clyburn, DeAndre and Melvin. Those guys can get $300K to a million bucks. The problem is those teams set their rosters in the summer.

Deonte showed flashes but was inconsistent and you can't be an NBA wing and not shoot the 3 well. And he shot it horribly this year and seems to have lost OKC's trust.

Let's hope there's a G League season so that Naz, Marial and Deonte can get games in and hope to attract other suitors.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia

I’ve seen anywhere from ~$7-12 million per year suggested for him. Obviously his play this year will be critical, although I think he’s proven himself enough to get a decent deal even if his play drops off a bit this year.

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for Denver to extend him before free agency next year? Or could he theoretically be negotiating throughout the whole season?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I’ve seen anywhere from ~$7-12 million per year suggested for him. Obviously his play this year will be critical, although I think he’s proven himself enough to get a decent deal even if his play drops off a bit this year.

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for Denver to extend him before free agency next year? Or could he theoretically be negotiating throughout the whole season?

I believe it can be anytime. They need to agree to pick up his team option sometime in the next week though. There is no way they let him walk without getting a trade for him if that’s what they are thinking though.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Monte has all the leverage. Entire league knows he's a legit NBA PG. If Denver doesn't step up, Monte will get a $50M contract from someone no problem.

Reactions: Cyclonepride