NBA: Cyclones' off-season: contracts, draft, summer league

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow. WOW. Fan Sided site for the Utah Jazz thejnotes.com is suggesting that the Jazz take a long look at CAM LARD as a sleeper, probably not in the draft but as an UFDA (to the G League, I presume). The Jazz do have a reputation for player development and the writer recognizes Lard's athleticism and strength. But I didn't expect to find these kind of comments. I can't even find people writing about Shayok and he seems like he's a lot closer to being an NBA player than Cam. Nevertheless, it would be great if Cam could develop for a year or two in a good organization's G League team. Here's a quote:

The Utah Jazz have had some recent success with former Iowa State University basketball players in Georges Niang and Naz Mitrou-Long. I think they should consider adding to that list by giving forward Cameron Lard a look.

I don’t think Lard will get drafted. I’m sure many will believe that’s the way it should be, considering he averaged only 5.6 points and 2.8 rebounds per game this season for Iowa State. However, potential is the key thing with Lard. He has great potential, and I think he could become a legitimate NBA player under Utah’s player development staff.

Link:
https://thejnotes.com/2019/04/30/th...from-a-familiar-school-in-the-2019-nba-draft/

I hope he makes it some day and they pay him truckloads of money.

Post from NeorgesGiang?

• Funny
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was looking around to see if Marial Shayok was mentioned in any mock drafts in the 2nd round and the answer seems to be "no".

There wouldn't have been anything similar for Nader either before he got drafted.

2nd half of second round is a lot harder to guess than the rest. I've seen enough G league to be pretty confident that Shayok would have been one of the better players in the G league last season let alone if he makes any improvement.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"three nondescript seasons at Virginia"

Was that on him? Or on the program? Regardless, it did leave him with only one year of impressive numbers. Seems like he could have been "nondescript" and still been pretty significant for Virginia. He did get the fourth foul on Niang.

I'd rephrase it "two years where he led Virginia in points scored per minute played". Bad fit. Easy to look at his numbers, minutes and style of play and tell that he just wasn't the right fit. NBA offense is absolutely nothing like UVA's.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If you have 40 minutes and love hoops, Alex Halsted's podcast with NBA scout (unaffiliated?) Sam Vecenie is really a good listen. He goes through all the 5 leaving ISU guys (and even recaps Monte Morris and discusses Haliburton) in terms of how their games translate as professionals. Vencenie watched a lot of ISU hoops and has some great, dispassionate comments on last year's team. If you're interested in how NBA teams evaluate prospects, it's a good listen. A few nuggets from the podcast:

* He thinks THT will go late in the 1st round but he says he woudn't take him until around the 35th pick. He thinks he still has too much developmental work to do on his shot and defense to get much production out of him right away.

* He thinks Shayok's route to the NBA could be through the G League as a "3 and D" guy but that he tended to lose focus on defense this year. He also says that his feedback from Portsmouth was that Shayok played selfishly in a bid to get noticed.

* He's actually higher on NWB due to his "feel for the game" and his ability to contribute by doing so many little things. He thinks he could end up with a 2-way contract.

* He thinks Lard can't do enough with the ball in his hands right now but could be considered by G League teams due to his elite athleticism.

* Watching ISU, he felt like the team chemistry was hurt with Wigginton in the game in the last year. He thinks he still doesn't have the skill set for the NBA - too many turnovers, for example - but the G League is a likely landing place for him to work on his game.

* He actually had Monte Morris as a late 1st-round talent so he saw more in him than a lot of NBA guys.

He loves Haliburton and think he needs to add 15+ pounds and learn to get his shot off quicker (and off the bounce). No shocked readers on CF on those point. He thinks his feel for the game is incredible though and seems to think he'll have a good NBA career.

Link:

https://anchor.fm/cyclone-scoop/epi...own-Iowa-States-draft-prospects-Ep--14-e407ba

Reactions: Doc

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Fan Sided site TheJNotes.com has a summary on whether they believe that Georges will be retained by the Jazz. Here are their thoughts:

Georges Niang, whose contract isn’t guaranteed for 2019-20, had an up and down season where he found himself with and without playing time throughout the year. When Thabo Sefolosha was out earlier in the year, Niang found himself in the rotation. However, later on minutes would become hard to come by for a while. But then in the playoffs, he found himself contributing yet again.

He had some nice moments in the playoffs, but overall he wasn’t all that efficient. However, he did shoot a promising 41 percent from deep in 59 games played in the regular season, so I’d say he did an admirable job of proving his worth, especially at a salary of just over $1.5 million. His athletic shortcomings will likely prevent him from ever being a key part of the rotation, but his energy, long-range shooting ability and basketball IQ keep him an intriguing role player off the bench.

Considering that the Jazz have options on his contract moving forward, they could decide to let him walk if they need a roster spot or trade him to sweeten a deal. However, I believe the Jazz like what they’ve found in Niang and are likely to hold on to him. Especially for a team that lacks shooting prowess, Georges is a nice fall-back option, particularly when he could be retained for pennies on the dollar over the course of the next two seasons.

This is far from a guarantee as Niang isn’t anything close to crucial for the Jazz, but considering how well he’s developed, how efficient his contract is and the potential that still remains in him, I predict that the Jazz will very well bring Georges back yet again to continue to be a part of what they hope will transform into a complete and promising roster.

Link: https://thejnotes.com/2019/05/04/utah-jazz-who-will-and-wont-be-back-next-season/4/

My guess is if he is on a new team next year, it’ll be because Utah included him as extra value in a trade package, not because they simply turned him away.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Shayok has advanced from the G-League combine to the NBA combine. I think he will have a good opportunity to turn some heads at the NBA combine.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
NBA.com did kind of a puff piece on Marial Shayok. Ostensibly, it says that he's improved his draft stock but there's not a lot of concrete info from the combine noted to back this up. But it is a nice overview and talks about how he'd like to be the first Ottawa native to play in the NBA:

https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-draft-2...t-the-perfect-time/1d8smjr7tx3yi1y0pb46raxyvq

Note: this seems to be a Canadian version of NBA.com.