11. Texas Tech - 37
12. Cincinnati - 23
13. West Virginia - 20

Additionally, OH Maya Duckworth was named to the Preseason All-Big 12 Team

Reactions: TrulyCyclone

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We might be able to overhaul Houston and KU but TCU were young and should be improved. The rest are just better than us and probably will not be close.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Here is the preseason all-conference VB team. Maya D makes the team. I thought Brooke Stonestreet might have a chance to make it as well. Noticed that Kenna Sauer from Ankeny transferred from Tech to UH and is on the team as well as Aliyah Carter (KSU) from Dubuque.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I apparently don't pay enough attention to know Okie St doesn't have volleyball. Just noticed when they released this the other day.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
This is Kenna Sauers third team? Mizzou Tech now Houston?
Yes, it's her third program. Evidently was not interested in coming back to play for ISU or CJL was not interested in recruiting her.

The current Iowa HS VB P5 talent pool appears to be not as deep as in recent years. I am not aware of any IA HS prospects currently committed to ISU.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Yes, it's her third program. Evidently was not interested in coming back to play for ISU or CJL was not interested in recruiting her.

The current Iowa HS VB P5 talent pool appears to be not as deep as in recent years. I am not aware of any IA HS prospects currently committed to ISU.
They were not interested and you are correct about Iowa talent very sparse. There are no Carters Mays the only one was Payton Peterson and no Iowa program was getting her. The girl from IC Liberty whos name escapes me is UNI caliber player.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
They were not interested and you are correct about Iowa talent very sparse. There are no Carters Mays the only one was Payton Peterson and no Iowa program was getting her. The girl from IC Liberty whos name escapes me is UNI caliber player.
I checked PrepDig for Class of 24 prospects from Iowa. Payton P is #1 and 6-3 OH Kenzie Dean from Dowling is #2 and has committed to KU (not sure if ISU was involved with her or not). The next 3 are going to Drake (Bliss Beck from CCA) and UNI (Payton's sister, Jayden, and Isabelle Elliott from Sumner-Fredericksburg).

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Losing recruits to KU not a good look interested or not. KU arena seats 2,000 people. We average 2800 so not everyone that wants to go to ISU games would be able to attend. AVB specific arena would be nice but would have to seat at least 3000 IMO

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Losing recruits to KU not a good look interested or not. KU arena seats 2,000 people. We average 2800 so not everyone that wants to go to ISU games would be able to attend. AVB specific arena would be nice but would have to seat at least 3000 IMO
Playing in Hilton has become an obstacle to ISU VB recruiting. Every successful VB program in the Upper MW plays in a smaller VB venue (KU, Creighton, Minnesota, NU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Mizzou, Marquette). KSU is building a new VB arena. As you note, Payton Peterson is heading to Louisville who play their home matches in a bandbox and has become a national power in doing so. And Kenzie Dean is headed to KU and will play home matches in a facility similar to Louisville's.

I was hoping the CyTown project would include a new VB/Wrestling venue. That doesn't appear to be the case but there is still time to include one IMO whether is be as a standalone facility or as part of a mult-purpose convention hall with pull out seating.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Playing in Hilton has become an obstacle to ISU VB recruiting. Every successful VB program in the Upper MW plays in a smaller VB venue (KU, Creighton, Minnesota, NU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Mizzou, Marquette). KSU is building a new VB arena. As you note, Payton Peterson is heading to Louisville who play their home matches in a bandbox and has become a national power in doing so. And Kenzie Dean is headed to KU and will play home matches in a facility similar to Louisville's.

I was hoping the CyTown project would include a new VB/Wrestling venue. That doesn't appear to be the case but there is still time to include one IMO whether is be as a standalone facility or as part of a mult-purpose convention hall with pull out seating.

Ideally in my mind, we tear down Scheman and put a new VB arena in that location. Regardless, building a new arena, no matter how small it would be is an expensive proposition, so I unfortunately don't know how realistic anything is.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Ideally in my mind, we tear down Scheman and put a new VB arena in that location. Regardless, building a new arena, no matter how small it would be is an expensive proposition, so I unfortunately don't know how realistic anything is.
It is my understanding that a new hotel with convention center space is on the drawing board for CyTown. If there is a sizeable convention hall being constructed as part of those plans, it could include retractable seating (both bleacher and seatback) to host VB matches. It could be connected directly to Hotel lounge/bar space that could also include permanent seating for a Club Lounge for interested donors. Existing Hilton locker rooms could be utilized with adjacent conference room space used for team huddles between Sets 2 & 3.

Another idea would be to work with Dickson Jensen on a teardown of the existing Tennis facility and replace it with a competition/practice venue for VB. That facility was going to be converted to a practice facility for VB anyway. Jensen could also use it for his AIA program to host BB tournaments and also use it to host club VB tournaments. This shared usage concept is being utilized by the ISU Tennis program as they are partnering with the Ames Racquet and Fitness Center for their new practice/match facility.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
Tear down Scheman? If that is the case, where do ISU extension meetings go? Scheman is not an athletics building; it is a conference/meeting cener. At least it was until Jamie knocked out Benton Auditorium which was bad enough. But losing the whole building would have a seriously dire impact on the university community, and its role in extension and outreach - which ISU takes very seriously. The loss of Benton has become a topic of considerable consternation; there simply is no other option in Ames, and moving the meetings to Des Moines hurts the ISU brand.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Hopp Perry and Heidemann in the portal. Looks like needing middles is official and setter.

Mesaiya Bettis - Iowa State University - OH/RS (Northern Lights)
Alea Goolsby - Iowa State University - OH (KC Power)
Annalise Grant - Iowa State University - Libero/DS (Six Pack)
Reagan Hanfelt - Iowa State University - MB (Iowa Powerplex)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Hopp Perry and Heidemann in the portal. Looks like needing middles is official and setter.

Setter (Emily Bobbitt) and MB (Shae Pearson) were signed last month for 2024. I doubt a setter will be pursued from the portal but a MB and/or OH likely will be unless CJL thinks Pearson will be an immediate contributor at MB like McCune was this past season as a true frosh.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

Hoop is a grad transfer. Amazing it took until this year for her to become a contributor, but good luck to her.

Perry just disappeared this year. Hopp the reason?

Addie was recruited over from day one. Don’t think she was even on scholarship. Hope she goes somewhere she can play.