Cyclones.tv: When will it be brought into the 21st century?

Feb 20, 2009
I love the content but the pixelation and buffering are driving me crazy. I guess I have to provide feedback the way I would with any other paid streaming service, by cancelling. :(

But before I do that, I'd love to hear about any tuning steps you've had success with. I have no issues with my other streaming services so I'm just not sure what to do. Since I trust your input more than what I get from their tech support, PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I love the content but the pixelation and buffering are driving me crazy. I guess I have to provide feedback the way I would with any other paid streaming service, by cancelling. :(

But before I do that, I'd love to hear about any tuning steps you've had success with. I have no issues with my other streaming services so I'm just not sure what to do. Since I trust your input more than what I get from their tech support, PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance.

I've tried it with Mediacom (100mbps), CenturyLink (30 mbps), different routers, laptop to TV, casting it off my iPhone to my FireTV, etc. and the buffering is always there. I don't think there is a good way to get rid of it. I stream all of my TV with no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: CycoCyclone

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
I haven't used Cyclones.tv since I moved back into the Mediacom bubble, but when I used it with Comcast up in Minneapolis it always worked great for me. (>1yr ago)

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I haven't had issues to the degree that you are describing. I've had great experiences viewing the UNI FB game, and the two basketball games and rarely have I experienced pixelation or buffering. For the two basketball games I was streaming Cyclones.TV from my phone and mirroring it to my AppleTV in the living room - the only issues I had was that the app would stop running when my phone would lock after 5 minutes (corporate policy on my iPhone).

I would say the first thing to look at is how your devices are setup on your router. Give priority on the router to whichever device you are viewing Cyclones.TV on. Likewise, give lower priority to devices in your environment that could be eating up bandwidth in your home - such as kids tablets or cell phones. You have to remember that Cyclones.TV is sending out a stream that is hitting a multicast server - you aren't experiencing issues with the actual feed that Cyclones.TV is providing (unless everyone loses video like the UNI FB game last year), your issue lies between your service and the host of the server (Sidearm Sports).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It seems inconsistent. When it is going well my speed isn't a big issue. I had more trouble with ESPN3 last night buffering. Rebooted modem and it was fine after that but it's weird how some things will stream so well even when your speed is down and other feeds seem uber sensitive to download speed.

One REALLY annoying thing lately is links from Cyclones.com articles to videos do not take you to the video. You get the poorly organized logicless layout and it defaults to the live feed, if there's one. Never did find the cross country video linked from the main page yesterday. Some of the interviews and short feature stories should be put up on YouTube and Facebook so people can share them. Sometimes I think they promote Cyclone.TV at the expense of what is the real mission, MARKETING and EXPOSURE.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It works flawless with my Roku.
I’ve only watched 2 basketball games on it, but it was like watching regular cable. No buffering and quality was good.
*knock on wood*

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05 and peteypie

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
It works flawless with my Roku.
I’ve only watched 2 basketball games on it, but it was like watching regular cable. No buffering and quality was good.
*knock on wood*

This is my experience as well with roku except I watch it quite a bit since I'm out of state. I have 300 mbps internet directly wired to the roku though.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I was having some issues when streaming through the browser last week. It would be fine for awhile and then freeze up completely. Refresh the page and it would be fine for another 10-20 minutes. The ROKU app has been working fine with no such problems.

Reactions: heitclone

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
I always have trouble with WatchESPN/ESPN3/whatever it is called now. It is the only streaming service that gives me persistent issues, and we stream a lot.

This times x1000. WatchESPN is terrible with Mediacom. Again, with Comcast up in Minneapolis, I had no issue. With Mediacom it is unwatchable.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
This times x1000. WatchESPN is terrible with Mediacom. Again, with Comcast up in Minneapolis, I had no issue. With Mediacom it is unwatchable.

I'm on a 150MB connection through Cox and tested speeds are usually pretty close to that. Does not matter if I use AppleTV, Roku or laptop. I can't watch ESPN without reduced quality or buffering. It's the only one that does it to me. Streaming live sports on Fox Sports or NBC Sports works perfectly.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Had no issues stream the game from the app on my iPad, and mirroring using my AppleTV.

I have issues using my AppleTV WatchESPN app, when I try to use the multi-screen function, but I am guessing that is just because I am pulling to much bandwidth. If I am just watching a single game and don't try to multiplex with 3 or 4 games at the same time it works fine. Other than that no issues streaming anything.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I have not used Cyclones.TV yet this year, but last year I had no issues on a Roku3. Previously streaming on laptop via Chromecast was pretty brutual.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
100 down Fiber, and the ESPN stream are horrible for me with buffering. Hell, I've had to use Illegal streams that were more constant and higher quality on occasion. :facepalm

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalum2012
Feb 20, 2009
I have not used Cyclones.TV yet this year, but last year I had no issues on a Roku3. Previously streaming on laptop via Chromecast was pretty brutual.

This is my config so it sounds like I need to change both the source and the output for casting the content to my TV. Thank you all for the input!

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Last year I got a roku tv. Wireless router and has been perfect ever since. Always sucked on laptop