Cyclones vs. Wisconsin

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't think our problem was/is setting. Other than Shaben, and "maybe" Bailey, we haven't been able to really recruit incredible athletic outside hitters. It wasn't our defense that cost this game, nor setting, Monique did a great job in this game, we couldn't get balls down, never get high hands, and hit way too many errors.

Piper Mauk is supposed to be an elite potential setter, she was ranked 24 best player in her class.

I'm hoping she develops a lot during the off season. I think we have another strong one coming in from MN I think it was?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I don't think our problem was/is setting. Other than Shaben, and "maybe" Bailey, we haven't been able to really recruit incredible athletic outside hitters. It wasn't our defense that cost this game, nor setting, Monique did a great job in this game, we couldn't get balls down, never get high hands, and hit way too many errors.

Piper Mauk is supposed to be an elite potential setter, she was ranked 24 best player in her class.
UNI does not have incredible athletic OHs and neither did prior ISU teams that were better than this one. But those teams had All-Conference or AA type setters. Hopefully Mauck or Jenna Brandt can develop to that level.

ISU wasn't only B12 team with home court advantage to get swept today. Baylor got the broom from Colorado.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
It takes a Lexi Sun, Dana Rettke, Stephanie Samedy, Mikaela Foecke or a Simone Lee type player to take you to the next level. You either need a freak athlete or a massive middle blocker as your go to, solid, bring it every night player. A game changer- Jess is outstanding but she needs another hitter so they can't key on her. Rhodes is exciting if she keeps improving every year she could be amazing. Optimistic- Can we get an Aliyah Carter to come. I'm not sure she will be tall enough for the big 12 but she can jump.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It takes a Lexi Sun, Dana Rettke, Stephanie Samedy, Mikaela Foecke or a Simone Lee type player to take you to the next level. You either need a freak athlete or a massive middle blocker as your go to, solid, bring it every night player. A game changer- Jess is outstanding but she needs another hitter so they can't key on her. Rhodes is exciting if she keeps improving every year she could be amazing. Optimistic- Can we get an Aliyah Carter to come. I'm not sure she will be tall enough for the big 12 but she can jump.

I complete agree with this. What the elite teams like Penn St, Texas, Nebraska have, are freak athlete hitters that recover quickly, make up for setting mistakes, and adjust in swing to blocking. Moving one of our middles to OH this season says all we need to know about how badly we need another Schaben type OH.

Hopefully one or both of Anderson and Holthaus can make an impact next year.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I complete agree with this. What the elite teams like Penn St, Texas, Nebraska have, are freak athlete hitters that recover quickly, make up for setting mistakes, and adjust in swing to blocking. Moving one of our middles to OH this season says all we need to know about how badly we need another Schaben type OH.

Hopefully one or both of Anderson and Holthaus can make an impact next year.
That middle who was moved to OH ended up being 1st Team All-Conference and All-Region. She may end up as a Honorable Mention AA as well. The OHs were good enough but they weren't properly set up enough times and that was reflected with setters from Texas, KU and Baylor all getting named to the B12 All-Conference teams. It is the one area that needs to be shored up the most via recruiting and development in order to contend for the conference title and the Final Four.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron