Cy's House of Trivia 2022

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
The movie songs and Winter Olympics were our best categories, lol! But I guess everyone has their areas of expertise. I was almost completely useless in the business and poetry categories. Think I personally knew two business questions and none of from poetry (which did not surprise me in the least as I've always found it to be dreadfully boring and has been avoided accordingly my whole life). We had people who rocked the Disney+ category pretty good, too.
Poetry round killed us. We were 10/10 in the first round and 3/10? maybe for the second round. I thought the questions were little easier. I think #1 team was #1 couple years ago. They are there to win the whole thing while many of us are too busy drinking and chasing celebs around Hilton.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
There were a bunch of coaches from the different sports, former players (which were cool to talk with), and others from central Iowa like Ed Wilson.
Quality of Celebs has gone down quite a bit last few years. Micah was the only staff showed up from MBB. I was looking forward to see Otz and other MBB staff. No former/graduated players. None of Fennellys. Very small number of VB staff too. CMC has shown up to Trivia every year for as long as he’s been the HC. He’s amazing. He really takes time and engages with fans. I was hoping to see Purdy as he was in town for the weekend.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
The movie songs and Winter Olympics were our best categories, lol! But I guess everyone has their areas of expertise. I was almost completely useless in the business and poetry categories. Think I personally knew two business questions and none of from poetry (which did not surprise me in the least as I've always found it to be dreadfully boring and has been avoided accordingly my whole life). We had people who rocked the Disney+ category pretty good, too.
Business ones were pretty easy. All those countless hours of watching Disney+ with my kid finally paid off.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Quality of Celebs has gone down quite a bit last few years. Micah was the only staff showed up from MBB. I was looking forward to see Otz and other MBB staff. No former/graduated players. None of Fennellys. Very small number of VB staff too. CMC has shown up to Trivia every year for as long as he’s been the HC. He’s amazing. He really takes time and engages with fans. I was hoping to see Purdy as he was in town for the weekend.
Purdy had a wedding that night.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Quality of Celebs has gone down quite a bit last few years. Micah was the only staff showed up from MBB. I was looking forward to see Otz and other MBB staff. No former/graduated players. None of Fennellys. Very small number of VB staff too. CMC has shown up to Trivia every year for as long as he’s been the HC. He’s amazing. He really takes time and engages with fans. I was hoping to see Purdy as he was in town for.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I assumed the basketball folks were still taking a break from the season ending. Prohm had a little more downtime in at this point in the year. Cys House also used to be two weeks later than it was this year.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

I was hoping for more representation from the Bball teams too, but I'd imagine with how crazy transfer season has become that they are either too busy working or need an evening with their families.

I think my first Cy's House, Hoiberg showed up late because he was finalizing the BDJ deal. It was quite the ovation when Fred showed up fashionably late.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I assumed the basketball folks were still taking a break from the season ending. Prohm had a little more downtime in at this point in the year. Cys House also used to be two weeks later than it was this year.

The first year it was in May. The rest of the time it's been the second or third weekend in April.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I hope they publish the final standings, I think we did pretty good but didn't make the podium. At one point we were top ten, although I know we flailed a bit the last couple rounds.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not going to remember exactly which Gene Chizik era assistant it was, but my defining memory from doing Cy's House of Trivia back in the day was having this particular assistant join us as a "celebrity" for a round. It was the same day as the Spring Game, which had concluded maybe an hour or two prior. This particular coach was absolutely sauced, in the manner it would have been hard to do if you were at the game sober.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not going to remember exactly which Gene Chizik era assistant it was, but my defining memory from doing Cy's House of Trivia back in the day was having this particular assistant join us as a "celebrity" for a round. It was the same day as the Spring Game, which had concluded maybe an hour or two prior. This particular coach was absolutely sauced, in the manner it would have been hard to do if you were at the game sober.

That was the case for many rhoads assistants as well. They all went and had a bunch of drinks and showed up to Cys house afterward.

Talking to one member of the staff this year, it sounds like that is more frowned upon under Campbell.

• Informative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It was probably Wayne Bolt, the DCoordinator. He was hammered at one of them.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Poetry round killed us. We were 10/10 in the first round and 3/10? maybe for the second round. I thought the questions were little easier. I think #1 team was #1 couple years ago. They are there to win the whole thing while many of us are too busy drinking and chasing celebs around Hilton.
Actually we are just really smart. Just kidding, we were not expecting to be first because we were hanging out around 4th all evening. We had our share of beers and my nephew did chase down Lazard for a pic.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
MY fun fact for the night...
Hubby Lew - who has posted on here maybe 5 or 6 times, 7 or 8 years ago (as PapaLew) - was wandering around the center set-up between rounds, looking at the lottery prize packages. A guy came up to him and recognized him as PapaLew. o_O

Of course, that guy was @oldman , who has probably seen the occasional pictures of him in the RTT threads. ;)
I actually have met him on a couple occasions -- almost didn't recognize him with a shirt on. :rolleyes: Good to see you guys out and about. KC, you looked like you were ready to run a race; surgery must've took.