Cy's House of Trivia 2023 edition

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Is the trivia only about Iowa State or is it more broad? Never had a chance and most likely never will get to go.

Way broad. Musical math was a category you had to figure out the # used in a song title than do the math of the #s to get the correct answer. Meteorology was a category.
U.S. history, states and their nicknames figured out by emoji.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Our team finished 12th, which I’m pretty sure is the best we’ve ever done. One of the guys on my table won the golf raffle package, so it was a good night!

The state nickname round really stumped us. Alabama is the yellow hammer state, and North Dakota is the peace garden state? Definitely missed those.

I knew the alabama one because alabama has their "rammer jammer yellowhammer" thing

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and SaraV

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
So did you special request the storm warning round?;)
I assume your group ran that round.
Haha, every year my tables say I hope this round is weather.

Last table said that and I barely spit it out that I've been coming for 10 years, there's never weather, boom it pops up!

9/10. I'd never heard of nephology before. Another table brought along a meteorologist from Ohio and he missed it too, so I don't feel so bad.

10/10 on Music Math and the famous company names one

Last edited:

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Anyone able to list all the categories from last night?

Wife and I can only remember 6

Famous iowans
Movies scenes
Songs and math
Emoji states
Us history
Meteorology

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I liked that they didn’t do the typical intro of the celebrities as that seemed awkward and would take a long time.

Reactions: isutrevman

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Anyone able to list all the categories from last night?

Wife and I can only remember 6

Famous iowans
Movies scenes
Songs and math
Emoji states
Us history
Meteorology
1. Famous Iowans
2. Clone cones
3. Movies in a picture
4. US history
5. Beginning of business
6. Musical math
7. Emoji states
8. Cyclone weather alert

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We contested three questions in the emoji states category that we got "wrong" and got them changed for everyone. Some of the emojis were ambiguous at best, definitely with more than one correct interpretation. I heard there was some debate by those putting together the questions about that category and that it might cause some confusion. I'm glad that the judges have always been willing to listen to someone with a valid point on why there might be more than one correct answer for some questions. They really have been good about that.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We contested three questions in the emoji states category that we got "wrong" and got them changed for everyone. Some of the emojis were ambiguous at best, definitely with more than one correct interpretation. I heard there was some debate by those putting together the questions about that category and that it might cause some confusion. I'm glad that the judges have always been willing to listen to someone with a valid point on why there might be more than one correct answer for some questions. They really have been good about that.

Was one of them the beaver that looked like a gopher? We went with Beaver.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Was one of them the beaver that looked like a gopher? We went with Beaver.
We got that one right. Our dedicated answer-writer-downer person started to write gopher after someone else said it and I said "Look at the tail - that's a beaver. It's Oregon."

Let's see if I can remember... there was the diamond emoji which we interpreted directly as "Diamond State", which is Arkansas (their answer was the "Gem State", Idaho); there was the one with two mountains which we interpreted as "Rocky Mountain State", Colorado (their answer was "Mountain State", West Virginia); and I don't recall the third one now. I'll come back and edit this if I can figure it out.

Edit: Now I remember - it was the one with the three trophies, pointing out the golden one. We said "Golden State", California. I can't even recall what they had as the answer, but we got that one accepted, also. Ended up with 10/10 in that round, thanks to the challenges.

Second edit: Looks like "Diamond State" is not the official nickname of Arkansas. It's the Natural State (really?). Although, there used to be diamond mines in Arkansas and it has been referred to as such unofficially. Delaware is the official "Diamond State". This stuff is kind of the reason I didn't like the category a lot. Many states have multiple nicknames, some only regionally known, many unofficial. It was a good concept, but not executed well, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We got that one right. Our dedicated answer-writer-downer person started to write gopher after someone else said it and I said "Look at the tail - that's a beaver. It's Oregon."

Let's see if I can remember... there was the diamond emoji which we interpreted directly as "Diamond State", which is Arkansas (their answer was the "Gem State", Idaho); there was the one with two mountains which we interpreted as "Rocky Mountain State", Colorado (their answer was "Mountain State", West Virginia); and I don't recall the third one now. I'll come back and edit this if I can figure it out.

Yeah we went with Arkansas and Colorado also.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Edit: Now I remember - it was the one with the three trophies, pointing out the golden one. We said "Golden State", California. I can't even recall what they had as the answer, but we got that one accepted, also. Ended up with 10/10 in that round, thanks to the challenges.

Second edit: Looks like "Diamond State" is not the official nickname of Arkansas. It's the Natural State (really?). Although, there used to be diamond mines in Arkansas and it has been referred to as such unofficially. Delaware is the official "Diamond State". This stuff is kind of the reason I didn't like the category a lot. Many states have multiple nicknames, some only regionally known, many unofficial. It was a good concept, but not executed well, imo.
So you got them to accept Arkansas even though that is wrong?

CyAg

May 22, 2006
5th place for our table. Down a bit from last year, but holding strong to always in the top 20. Arkansas as an answer is questionionble. Irony is ND as the peace garden state...home to many ballistic missle sites and frozen more than 2/3 of the year. New Jersey was a viable confusing choice.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Emoji completely destroyed us. We were 3rd last year and ended this year in 23rd?

I don't know why they didn't do big intro like they normally do? Not many big name celebs. Got to hang with Soares, Holmes, Campbell, and CJL. Soares was awesome to hang out with. Enjoyed having her on our table.

We dominatd weather questions because one of our guys were meteorogist.

I really wanted to steal that Ames helmet. Some lady want red chrome helmet. I was extremely jealous of that. I wish they would do smaller prizes rather than big ones.