Darian DeVries

Minnyclonenut

Mar 1, 2021
You are damn right we don't! When DD took over after Medved they had the fewest returning letterman of any team in the nation. He didn't have a Mike Daum when he arrived at Drake. The MVC may not be a power league....but he has done more with less than TJ ever has. It's not his fault the MVC is usually a one bid league. You think TJ could have done at Drake what DD just did this year......with the roster they have?

I'm not promoting the guy however I'm sick of all the TJ bark chewing. And I'm fairly certain Drake this year could have beat Benedict Mesa, St. Katherine's...New Mexico(2), Air Force(2)San Jose State(2), KSU and maybe even knocked off Utah State and Fresno. So you want to keep worshiping at the alter of Otz....have a good time. ISU can do better.
Look at the team otz had when he walked into SDSU not to mention one of the best home court advantages in conference tournaments in the country and he still found a way to botch it Daums senior year. TJ is way in over his head at UNLV and it’s concerning because he won’t be coming into a situation like he did at SDSU if he comes back here.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
They'll be heavy underdogs tommorrow. The game they beat Loyola a couple weeks ago they still had Penn at least.

I think Loyola will get more respect this year be an 8 or 9 seed. They were an 11 I think the year they went to The Final 4.

You are correct; they were an 11 seed back in 2018.

Loyola is really reminding me of the UNI Sweet 16 team from 2010; a ridiculously good defense with an efficient and methodical offense that might not be too exciting but gets the job done. I think even as an 8 or 9 seed they would be under-seeded, just like that same UNI team was.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You are correct; they were an 11 seed back in 2018.

Loyola is really reminding me of the UNI Sweet 16 team from 2010; a ridiculously good defense with an efficient and methodical offense that might not be too exciting but gets the job done. I think even as an 8 or 9 seed they would be under-seeded, just like that same UNI team was.
Yeah, for sure, they'll be an extremely tough out in the 2nd round for a 1,2, or 3 seed.

Reactions: isutrevman

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I heard Devries wants to stay at Drake. Not sure if it will play out that way.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
DeVries' wife would struggle at a more high profile job. Let's just say that she's 'outspoken'. Lynn Marshall without the booze and Margaret McCaffery without the overt physical threats.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I heard Devries wants to stay at Drake. Not sure if it will play out that way.

I totally respect that.....but also getting 4-5x your salary is also hard to not consider (especially since our job is 30 miles up the road).

Reactions: isutrevman

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I haven't read the whole thread, but does anyone think Creighton could talking to him about their situation and asking him to wait until they figure things out?

Edit- I mean are they talking to Devries

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
It feels kind of weird of me as a UNI alum to write, but good for Drake! DeVries is a fellow alum, after all, and it would be a good thing for the MVC to get two teams in the tournament.

I don't know how much of a chance they have against Loyola tomorrow. Loyola is going to get drastically under-seeded and then ruin a highly ranked Power 6's teams season a couple of weeks from now.

Drake has the same advantage today they had yesterday. Loyola has had to play one more game in this tournament than Drake.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Not to bag on this ISU team in what is a historically awful season, but how big would the margins of victory be for both of these teams against us? With the way Loyola plays defense I could see being a Texas Tech-type of whooping.