Darth Gator and other reptiles

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Their are a couple or three interesting reptile breeders out there who do good work exposing humans, and their misconceptions, to a part of the natural world.

My favorite was Brian Barczak, who estabalished, ran and operated an exceptional zoo in Michigan. Brian created a number of videos that revealed his surprising diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and what it meant for himself and his lifework in zoology. Loved his personality. His enthusiasm for his life's chosen path was elevating.

The other personality that I've grown to appreciate over time is Jay of Prehistoric Pets in California. Both men, imho, are exceptional but different. Brian was wildly enthusiastic about his work but, I think, a bit more educational about his approach. His passion was electric.

Jay is more freelance, down to earth, a guy you'd ask to have a beer at the corner bar. But, his ability to handle dangerous reptiles is natively inborn. So often, as a breeder of pythons, angry moms coiled atop their eggs, would strike at him. I think it is mostly performative, he knows what he's doing and creating a bit of excitement.

Both Brian and Jay have allayed my fears (a bit, anyway) about big, dangerous reptiles. It is humankind that rules this world, they demonstrate. And both of them, the best I recall, were nondescript students in their teens but found their passions and enjoy(ed) fulfilling lives.

Everyday people who found their passions. Thought I would share.

Brian (he died during the holidays):

Jay: