Dash Cam

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Thinking about getting a dash cam. Any recommendations from current users?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have the RedTiger F7N 4k (got on Amazon) and like it. It's been good enough that we got one for my wife's car, too. They both came with a back cam as well but I'm too lazy to run the cables to hook those up.

They make a hardwire kit but I just have them plugged into a cig lighter port (are they called that anymore??). They capture really good wide video and it's easy enough to connect to your phone and download videos when needed. Just overwrites a microSD card but they hold quite a bit.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

cyfantastic

Feb 28, 2024
I've had a Viofo A129 duo for about a year now, and I love it. The video quality is excellent, and it comes with a front and rear camera, which is super handy. Setup was easy peasy using the app. It gives me peace of mind while driving.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
If you make your living driving, they are a no brainer. At least 4 of them.Drive safely.
Go Cyclones

Wait, what? Educate me. Why four? Do I need a front facing cam and a rear facing cam or are their products that do both?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Wait, what? Educate me. Why four? Do I need a front facing cam and a rear facing cam or are their products that do both?

I'm guessing he means if you're job is driving in some capacity (especially trucks) it makes sense to have front/rear/both sides. For regular Joe's I tend to think front is sufficient, but rear could be useful at times.

Many come with a separate rear, those just require more work to install as you have to run a wire from the back of your car to the main unit up on the windshield.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For some reason, this is no longer in 4k, but here is a video I did a couple of years back. Not sure if this one is still available, but I've been pretty happy with the A129 Pro Duo.

At 2:14 I show both the front and rear

Instead of going through the app, downloading, etc. If I have a clip that I want off of it, I just remove the tiny sim card, and plug it into a USB stick. I believe I also upgraded the memory card to be larger.

I have it hardwired and it's a clean install. This was the first time that I've ran cable through the ceiling, and it wasn't too bad. I just needed to make sure that I was interfering with the side air bags. I was thinking about having Ford and Garland do it if I ran into problems.

Last edited:

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
I have not researched cameras for trucks so I am up on all the latest stuff . We have cameras on farm equipment to try and keep us aware of on coming traffic that over takes us . 4, if you are driving on multi lane roads this this would help you with drivers merging from both sides. But it’s your deal, do what you gotta do.