David Grant commit

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
When did he show up on the list? I just noticed him on CR free list. 6'6", 278 and 4.9 3 star. That makes 2 new 3 stars in the last 3 days. Looks like our OL will get a real boost. Now if we can land a LB and DB I will be thrilled with this recruiting class.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
What does a "soft verbal" mean?

I'm thinking of it dating terms...
a "Soft Verbal" could be like dating in colllege. Wouldn't be suprised if he blows town.

A "solid Verbal" could be getting engaged. He is committed. But there is still a chance to back out.

Signing your letter of intent could be like getting married. Pretty much over for him.

Pretty good pickup though.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
What does a "soft verbal" mean?

I'm thinking of it dating terms...
a "Soft Verbal" could be like dating in colllege. Wouldn't be suprised if he blows town.

Soft verbal could mean one of two things....

Gave his verbal without visiting the school.

Gave a commitment to a school, and then like what happened to us with DJ Marshall someone else comes along that the recruit thinks is a better fit and they may take a visit to another school and as happened with DJ open back up recruiting, de-commit and then recommit. Actually, i'm not sure why they even consider the gentlemens rule of recruiting being closed because someones committed to a school....its funny how the coaches and administration speak to ethics, being genuine, truthful, honest etc etc but that should also apply here....it does not........Recruiting is cut-throat!!!!
Recruiting is open until Feb 6 National Signing day...then you have something...

In fact, i would expect a few late surprises with our recruiting class as it happened last year with Chizik....i think if he's got a few "Sleepers" from his connections and worked it behind the scenes, those guys come out on signing day.....

Love it....gonna call in sick on the 6th!!!!!

K

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
A "solid Verbal" could be getting engaged. He is committed. But there is still a chance to back out.

There is one major flaw in your thinking, though. If a college recruit goes looking for another school, the school that they originally committed to would be glad to have them back.

Not so if you go looking for a new girl... :biglaugh:

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
A new survey finds that 50% of men kiss their wife goodbye when they leave the house, but 100% of men kiss their house goodbye when the leave their wife.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Soft Verbal means, the coachs best come visit them again or their not coming to your school....