David Johnson

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I think he ran the 4th fastest 40 among the running backs at the nfl combine. Not bad for a 230 pound running back and with that speed and size, he should land somewhere.

allday4cy

Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
Similar build and NFL combine results to Darren McFadden. I am still concerned about the transition to the NFL from an FCS level.

He wasn't even the best RB (statistics wise) in the FCS for 2014.

Rush Yards Per Carry: Not in the top 30
Rushing Yards: 7th
Rushing TDs: Tied for 11th

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/469

UNI's offensive line and passing game was not very good the majority of the year. He is also a great blocker and has great hands for a RB. I think he will be just fine in the NFL.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Similar build and NFL combine results to Darren McFadden. I am still concerned about the transition to the NFL from an FCS level.

True, but he also stepped up on the big stage and had huge games against FBS competition like us, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

They probably played about the hardest schedule out of all FCS teams. Johnson had a lot of receptions too, IIRC.

He was really, really good. I would have loved to have him. I think he has the talent to make it, but we all know how the next level can be tough.

Good luck to him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's not a stretch to think he'll be one of the first ten running backs off the board. His ability as a route runner and receiver out of the backfield should seal the deal. I'm hopeful he's hanging around at the bottom of the fourth round for the Colts.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think he makes it to the NFL and good for him, he deserves it.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
The guy is going to be a major steal for whoever picks him up. Better than any RB we've had in the past ten years and would have started for most Big XII teams.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
David Johnson and Jake Waters both wanted to play at ISU. Let those to recruiting wiffs sink in for a minute.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yep, DJ would have gone to Iowa State if they would have allowed him to play offense.

Iowa State was interested, but as a linebacker.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Yep, DJ would have gone to Iowa State if they would have allowed him to play offense.

Iowa State was interested, but as a linebacker.

That was the thing about Johnson, in high school he was a terror on both offense and defense. With his size, speed and hands, he could have played linebacker or safety on defense and rb or receiver on offense at the FBS level. I think he will make it as an NFL running back, maybe even make it big.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
David Johnson and Jake Waters both wanted to play at ISU. Let those to recruiting wiffs sink in for a minute.

Makes sense. Theres a big front page article on Johnson in the register today that says Iowa offered him a greyshirt, ISU didn't offer. Obviously he took the UNI scholly. Still shaking my head over that one since he was a phenom at Clinton with great size, speed and hands. Mel Kiper has him going in the 2nd or 3rd round and mike Mayock of the NFL Network has him in the 3rd, but said he could go higher.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's not a stretch to think he'll be one of the first ten running backs off the board. His ability as a route runner and receiver out of the backfield should seal the deal....

Saw on the NFL network last night that he was 6th best back in the field. Would love to see him in a Vikes uniform in the fourth round if they still need a RB.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Saw on the NFL network last night that he was 6th best back in the field. Would love to see him in a Vikes uniform in the fourth round if they still need a RB.

Yeah, he seems to be generating a little bit of buzz as the draft gets closer. My initial hope was that he'd be available late in the fourth round for Indy but at this point I won't be surprised if he's gone by the middle of the third; possibly earlier if there's a run on RBs early.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yeah, he seems to be generating a little bit of buzz as the draft gets closer. My initial hope was that he'd be available late in the fourth round for Indy but at this point I won't be surprised if he's gone by the middle of the third; possibly earlier if there's a run on RBs early.

Similar to Adrian Peterson