David the MAN Montgomery

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It seems like we tried several times to have David pass the ball to the Lan Ram, I suppose because he was a high school quarterback, and Joel always dropped it. Kept waiting for that today but he tossed it back to Goff.

So happy he at least was rescued from the Bears.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
One of Detroit's biggest mistakes was not going to him more. He was a nightmare for the Niners D.

Some people want to pile on Campbell for the loss, but I thought he/the staff made 3 glaring mistakes. One, was going for it on 4th down the second time, where momentum, time left, and situational dynamics (down 3 on the road) dictate you kick it. I thought the first attempt was the right move. Two, was handing the balk off on 3rd down near the goal line at the end of the game (forcing him to use a TO). The other was not handing it to Montgomery more. He was automatic 5 yards per carry and should have had his carries in the 20s.

Detroit lost because of individual mistakes. Bur one of the few coaching mistakes was not feeding the beast. Monty showed up in a big way.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
As someone that was ultimately cheering for the Niners I had a sigh of relief whenever I saw Gibbs in the backfield. Sure, he has the potential to explode on nearly every play but I'm not sure any Detroit ball handler had more negative plays than Gibbs.

Detroit wins that game going away if they use David to control TOP in the second half. Plus he wouldn't have fumbled.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I had to laugh when they ran a story about Purdy’s family being of modest means running a hot tub store in Arizona.

Even before this matchup came to fruition, I thought of David being raised by a single mom and improvising when various utilities were disconnected. Also of Anthony Johnson growing up in a motel room with a large family.

putsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
Harlan, IA
During the win over Oklahoma in 2017, I remember watching with my boys and just saying "he's really good" every time he touched the ball. They started making fun of me for saying it so often, but it was true. They still like to bring up the "he's really good" when we see him on TV now.

Contact in the backfield for what should have been a loss of 4 ended up a gain of 1. He broke tackles like no one else I've ever seen.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
For those that haven't noticed, DM is one Helluva a blocker, in pass protection. Kinda rare these days.
End all. We saw two of the greatest Cyclones EVER, going face-face today. Both won.
It is absolutely insane we went directly from DM to Breece Hall. Both were culture changers at ISU.

I am still irked in the Liberty bowl he clearly broke the plain before the ball came loose but they stood with the call on the field. Was literally his only fumble all season.

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
It is absolutely insane we went directly from DM to Breece Hall. Both were culture changers at ISU.

I am still irked in the Liberty bowl he clearly broke the plain before the ball came loose but they stood with the call on the field. Was literally his only fumble all season.
He never fumbled that whole season. That is still one of the craziest things about him at ISU. (I've blocked out the hose job of a fumble in the liberty bowl.):cool:

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
I had to laugh when they ran a story about Purdy’s family being of modest means running a hot tub store in Arizona.

Even before this matchup came to fruition, I thought of David being raised by a single mom and improvising when various utilities were disconnected. Also of Anthony Johnson growing up in a motel room with a large family.
As well, David's brother is in prison for a "spell."
Pretty sure, murder-related.
Between David and Brock...damn different upbringings.
How David became an Eagle Scout, growing up in his environment? Just Wow.
There's a great DM "life story" video, out there, somewhere. Can't find. Maybe someone here can.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron