DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Official Concept Art released of the Cinematic Justice League. Features Aqua Man, Cyborg, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash

http://io9.gizmodo.com/our-first-official-look-at-the-justice-league-is-here-1753776320

attachment.php

Buff Ezra Miller (The Flash)..... ppplllllaaaeeeasssee. Still hate that casting choice and who knows if he is even the one in the picture. Hope they prove me wrong with hating on Ezra.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Here is the new Suicide Trailer that they showed during their DC Films Presents: Dawn of the Justice League special last night:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/suicide-squad-trailer-tktkt-031941747.html

Don't know what to think about it to be honest. It isn't that I dislike what I'm seeing, but I can't say I'm loving it quite yet either. Maybe its just that I can't stand the music and how they set up the trailer too because that is true. Anyway, I'm still keeping an open mind because I do think it could turn out to be really good. What is everyone else's thoughts?

With that said, I still haven't seen the Dawn of the Justice League special yet. Got it recorded and planning on watching it this morning.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Here is the new Suicide Trailer that they showed during their DC Films Presents: Dawn of the Justice League special last night:

Don't know what to think about it to be honest. It isn't that I dislike what I'm seeing, but I can't say I'm loving it quite yet either. Maybe its just that I can't stand the music and how they set up the trailer too because that is true. Anyway, I'm still keeping an open mind because I do think it could turn out to be really good. What is everyone else's thoughts?

With that said, I still haven't seen the Dawn of the Justice League special yet. Got it recorded and planning on watching it this morning.

I'm the exact opposite - that trailer just made me WAY more interested in that side of the DC universe than BvS.

That to me is what a comic book movie should look like: fun & action-packed. The one thing that worries me is that DC now has competing tones set to try and establish their cinematic universe. The heroes have less personality than the villains!

Edit: Here is an article io9 published yesterday addressing the difference of marketing strategy between Suicide Squad and BvS

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-suicide-squad-poster-shows-us-everything-wrong-wit-1753859683

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Agents of Shield bored the crap out of me. I watched most of Smallville as it came out and it was always much more interesting even though it went on a little too long. I haven't watched Arrow or Flash yet but I wish I had instead of sticking out a whole season of Agents of Shield. And this is from a guy who has a stack of about 500 Marvel comics and probably 30 DC comics. I'd want to try Marvel's other TV series but I'm skeptical of reviews from people who were entertained by Agents of Shield.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
FYI.... apparently a new Suicide Squad trailer is about to be dropped soon as well:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=127582

Apparently after Marvel dropped their Civil War trailer, DC felt they had to keep up with the Joneses. Also, it seems that everyone is looking to load the new Star Wars movie up with their trailers in order to pump up and entertain all the comic book fanboys in the preshow.

I almost threw up in my mouth when my Star Wars audience cheered for the Civil War trailer. It didn't look that good plus you're about to see a new Star Wars movie that seems to be a genuine continuation of the original trilogy.

Ditto for all the Marvel fanboys who were ANGRY at the end of Star Wars that there wasn't extra content after the credits. Chalk me up as a lifelong Marvel comics collector who is starting to be very annoyed by Marvel movie fans.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm the exact opposite - that trailer just made me WAY more interested in that side of the DC universe than BvS.

That to me is what a comic book movie should look like: fun & action-packed. The one thing that worries me is that DC now has competing tones set to try and establish their cinematic universe. The heroes have less personality than the villains!

Edit: Here is an article io9 published yesterday addressing the difference of marketing strategy between Suicide Squad and BvS

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-suicide-squad-poster-shows-us-everything-wrong-wit-1753859683

I think DC's problem is the same problem their comics have had since the 80s.

The Batman universe is dark and awesome with interesting characters everywhere, the rest of it is all a little too campy for broad devoted fan appeal leading to a long chain of top grossing movies. I think it's a small miracle Marvel has been able to make Captain America and Iron Man so popular when they couldn't sell a Cap Am or Iron Man comic for 3 decades compared to dozens of other properties they have. DC's not automatically going to be able to do that with Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman. They can but it won't be easy.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Agents of Shield bored the crap out of me. I watched most of Smallville as it came out and it was always much more interesting even though it went on a little too long. I haven't watched Arrow or Flash yet but I wish I had instead of sticking out a whole season of Agents of Shield. And this is from a guy who has a stack of about 500 Marvel comics and probably 30 DC comics. I'd want to try Marvel's other TV series but I'm skeptical of reviews from people who were entertained by Agents of Shield.
Tbh, you lost all credibility when you said Smallville was better than Agents of Shield. As a watcher of both, Smallville was the twilight of superhero shows. Refused to watch arrow and flash for that very reason. CW = Cheese.
I am going to give legends of tomorrow a shot though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Tbh, you lost all credibility when you said Smallville was better than Agents of Shield. As a watcher of both, Smallville was the twilight of superhero shows. Refused to watch arrow and flash for that very reason. CW = Cheese.

Oh Smallville was off the charts cheezy for sure. But it didn't get boring until it had gone on for years. Agents of Shield is just boring right out of the gate and doesn't stop.

I'd rather watch old scifi episodes of X-Files and TNG for a 4th or 5th time than see what the new season of AoS has in store. I'm definitely going to give the DC hero shows a shot before I watch another episode.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Oh Smallville was off the charts cheezy for sure. But it didn't get boring until it had gone on for years. Agents of Shield is just boring right out of the gate and doesn't stop.

I'd rather watch old scifi episodes of X-Files and TNG for a 4th or 5th time than see what the new season of AoS has in store. I'm definitely going to give the DC hero shows a shot before I watch another episode.

You thought season 2-3 was boring? I'll give you most of the first season wasn't very good but the show got way better as it went on.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I definitely get where you are coming from on the Agents of Shield stuff as there is definitely a very high cheese factor, especially with the 1st season. While if you absolutely hated AOS, this might not matter, but it is worth noting that the series gets better and better as time goes on. I really liked Season 2. However, I'd encourage you to not write off all the series out there because, while I did like AOS overall, it isn't like it is super high on my rankings of shows out there. In fact, it is towards the bottom. If I've got to rank the shows out there, here is my rankings:

1. Daredevil
2. The Flash
3. Arrow
4. Jessica Jones
5. Agent Carter6
6. Agents of Shield

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

How many episodes of Agents of Shield have you watched? If you are bored with it right now then you are not right in the head. This current season has been really entertaining.

I haven't watched much Flash, but Arrow isn't some teen drama. It's pretty good. It has it's silly moments, but really good.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Suicide Squad doesn't get made if not for the success of Guardians of the Galaxy? Seems pretty obvious that they're trying to echo that movie. Doesn't mean it will be bad, but it's pretty clearly derivative. I'm interested, but wary. In other news, they could make a 2 hour movie of Harley Quinn walking around in those shorts, breaking glass with a baseball bat, and I'd watch.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I almost threw up in my mouth when my Star Wars audience cheered for the Civil War trailer. It didn't look that good plus you're about to see a new Star Wars movie that seems to be a genuine continuation of the original trilogy.

Ditto for all the Marvel fanboys who were ANGRY at the end of Star Wars that there wasn't extra content after the credits. Chalk me up as a lifelong Marvel comics collector who is starting to be very annoyed by Marvel movie fans.

You didn't like the Civil War trailer???? I thought it was awesome and EXACTLY what I was looking for. I love the tone that the Russo Bros set in their movies, and if it is anything like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I'll be stoked and love it. Should be much better than the direction Whedon went with Age of Ultron. Anyway, sorry to go too much into Marvel stuff on a DCEU forum, especially when I've got a Marvel Cinematic Universe forum for that. Full disclosure too on my background: I'm not a Marvel or DC fanboy, but a lover of both and want both to be awesome.

As for the lack of an ending credits scene after Star Wars... whatever, I don't really care either way.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

One thing to note with my rankings and comparison of shows that I did above in response to the OP, I have not seen Smallville, so I can't compare the current stuff to the past. Interesting to see your thoughts on it though.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I saw Arrow mentioned a couple times in this thread. I've seen most of Season 1. What am I missing? It feels like someone accidentally mixed together the $cripts from a Batman movie and an episode of Gossip Girl. Does it get better? Trying to find reasons to keep watching, because so far it's been almost painfully bad.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
You thought season 2-3 was boring? I'll give you most of the first season wasn't very good but the show got way better as it went on.

For sure, it is very widely adopted common knowledge by everyone that AOS Season 1 was pretty terrible for nearly the whole first half of the season, only to get some redemption by the end. Again, Season 2 is much better overall and they also start to taper off some of the cheese factor too.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Suicide Squad doesn't get made if not for the success of Guardians of the Galaxy? Seems pretty obvious that they're trying to echo that movie. Doesn't mean it will be bad, but it's pretty clearly derivative. I'm interested, but wary. In other news, they could make a 2 hour movie of Harley Quinn walking around in those shorts, breaking glass with a baseball bat, and I'd watch.

You raise a good point as there is probably some truth to what you are saying. However, in their defense, the Suicide Squad is a very big storyline in their comics nearly as big as any other characters out there. Also, putting it to the screen was an idea founded before GOTG when they introduced the squad on Season 2 of Arrow where it was very popular. So, I do think the popularity of the Squad on the show played a factor in the movie too. Overall though, I think the main reason they are doing a Suicide squad is to go along with their obvious strategy overall of getting as many characters out there as early as possible to get their universe rolling as quickly as possible. In general, fans are getting bored of origin stories, so they are trying to do their best to not fall into that trap. Even Marvel is trying to limit origin stories as much as possible now.

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I saw Arrow mentioned a couple times in this thread. I've seen most of Season 1. What am I missing? It feels like someone accidentally mixed together the $cripts from a Batman movie and an episode of Gossip Girl. Does it get better? Trying to find reasons to keep watching, because so far it's been almost painfully bad.

I think it gets better, but that's my opinion. I would say finish up season 1 and then watch a few episodes of season 2. If you don't like it, then you probably should move on.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Hmm, interesting. Like Mapnerd said, I'd give Season 2 a shot beings how that is widely accepted as the best season so far before taking a step back in Season 3. However, most also really liked season 1 too, so it may just not be your cup of tea. So, give season 2 a shot and if you still aren't having it, I'd just move on. Part of what is fun about the DC shows is the shared universe and crossover concepts, so, if you stop early, you will miss out on all of that.