Dead Week?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Its supposed to be a week of nothing but reviews. No tests, quizzes or homework but no teachers really follow it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
best week of school. no tests, no extra activities allowed. basically it was aweek off for me.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Dead week is a joke. There isn't supposed to be tests or homework but it seems like every semester dead week is my worst week. Final week is much better because once tests are done, usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday, it is time to get blackout drunk and be someone. Nothing like Wednesday night fishbowls to celebrate another worthless semester of classes you will never use.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
true...haha will my academics suffer if i happen to be "sick" that week?

Depends on the teacher. As a freshman, it might not be a big deal. Some teachers like to have quizzes, projects, and exam reviews during that week. And some professors, knowing that lots of students skip class that week, will give extra credit opportunities for showing up.

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
It is "supposed" to be the week for no tests and to relax before finals week. Beware of your professors though. I had a professor that had his finals during dead week. The first time I had him for class (Had him 3 times for 3 different classes), I skipped during dead week, thus missed the final.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Dead week is a thing of the past at ISU. It used to be a time for studying reviewing, no assignments/quizzes/tests. It is not that anymore b/c it is not required for professors to follow.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The thing I remember in the dorms was that there was a silent week. You couldn't play music that was loud enough to hear outside of your room. You had to be quiet while walking through the halls. We had 30 minutes a day where this silent period was lifted and everyone turned on their stereos in a loud defiance of "the man".

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Dead week sucks because a lot of professors get behind teaching and use it as a buffer week to catch up and some even give tests during it.

4ISUnUI2

Dec 1, 2008
When I was there, dead week didn't have much to do with classes, but "quiet hours" were in force in the dorms and student orgs. weren't supposed to meet.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
It's pretty much just a normal week anymore. This week I have two tests and a quiz. Of course, by having those two tests I have two less finals during finals week... it's not too bad in that case. But I still have homework and a quiz to study for...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It's your week to get drunk and be somebody
Fair warning. One thing I learned later (much later, nobody told me) is that when you get drunk, it takes two weeks for your brain to recover from the alcohol effects. It simply mucks with your memory and thought processes. So if you really want to max your finals, you might want to not shave off a few IQ points first.

On the other hand, some people either feel they have plenty to spare--or don't really care about getting the best possible grade on their finals. :wink:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Basically it has lost all it's original meaning. It's just another week that happens to take place before finals.