Defense This Season - Perspective (BYU Stats not included)

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I am guilty of this as well, but I think its important we keep in mind that the defense - by age - is YOUNGER than the offense. And I know we've had bad moments but all in all, this year's defense has been great.

Top 30 in total defense.
Tied for 31st in 3rd down defense.
54th in completion percentage.
50th in red zone defense.
41st in first downs allowed
5th in Interceptions
30th in rushing defense
48th in passing defense
31st in scoring defense

The only areas we ware really struggling in is tackles for loss and then sacks (91st) for TFL and 111th in Sacks - hello Will McDonald -

We might not be "elite" this year defensively but given how insanely young we are there.
Given our front that we have 1 senior who plays in our front 6 and we only two more juniors.... I think the defense is doing really, really well. The offense is more mature than the defense in terms of older players and Vaughn has missed the earlier part of the season or was limited and arguably the worst of the injuries has been on defense (Cooper and Verdon being out) losing Tampa for a half for targeting.

As much as people try to give the offense the out of being young I think the defense has been really, really good given the youth. If we can find a few more consistent players to get the TFL's and sacks improving and maybe a little quicker at LB - I think everything else is in place

Even with our limitations there, we are essentially a top half to top third defense nationally. With this young a group, I think that's really darn good