Degand is drawing interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I think this is somewhat telling. While these are generally major conference schools they are not really basketball powers and I'm being kind by using the words "not really." I wouldn't consider this major interest. But hey, good luck to Farnold.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Per Ames Tribune article,

Degand said he felt good about new coach Greg McDermott and the system he'd put in place, but would not have enjoyed his experience at ISU as anticipated.
Morgan's firing left him without the key figure who led him to the middle of Iowa from the big city.
"It was a decision of whether or not I was going to be happy," said Degand, one of seven 2006 recruits or underclassmen from last year's roster no longer a member of the team. "I'm not saying the people are bad, it's just that this is a dramatic change from where I'm from and what I'm used to.
"(Morgan) helped a lot of players feel comfortable. There were a lot of us that struggled with being in Ames. We're from the East Coast or the inner city and everything was completely different. He understood the things we were going through."
It may be a while before Degand settles on new home.
"This time, I'm going to be wiser in the decision I make," he said. "I still believe this was the right choice for me to make at the time ... certain things just didn't pan out."

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Obviously that isn't what he is missing, and clearly you've never lived in a city.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
[quote1146844977=mt85]
I guess he didn't feel comfortable with the safe neighborly enviroment of Ames, IA. The lure of gangs, drug dealing and drive by shootings just aren't available in Ames.
[/quote1146844977]

Maybe you didn't notice that the large majority of residents in Ames and Iowa for that matter are, ummm, WHITE! Go live in Farnold's neighborhood and tell me you fit right in. Or, better yet, just try not to make everyone in Iowa seem so naive.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
bryceC, kberyldial-have neither of you heard of sarcasm? Maybe you shouldn't take everything so seriously. It was a joke.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Mt I have to agree with Bryce & Kbery. It may have been a joke, but it doesn't come across well

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
BryceC I have lived in a large metro area, so why is it obvious I haven't?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Absolutely ridiculous that my post was edited. Jeremy I'm dissappointed.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
I disagree mt, to make a statement that implies things about a kid like Degand who was great acedemically (didn't turn 16 till 2/3 of way through senior year) is in poor taste. Only reason to make it with a kid like Degand is b/c all big city kids are that way, all east coast kids are that way, or all black kids are that way and I am sure none of those were your reasons.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ha, Kler... I would say Michigan is a major school basketball wise... just saying.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
[quote1146846899=JCloned]
I disagree mt, to make a statement that implies things about a kid like Degand who was great acedemically (didn't turn 16 till 2/3 of way through senior year) is in poor taste. Only reason to make it with a kid like Degand is b/c all big city kids are that way, all east coast kids are that way, or all black kids are that way and I am sure none of those were your reasons.
[/quote1146846899]

You have injected your own opinions about my response. If you censored it, that is because of your own prejudices not mine. I listed a few of the negative attributes about the inner city that aren't part of Ames. None of which is unture and they were solely intended as humor.

I didn't imply any of the things you suggest. You've created those inferences on your own.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
[quote1146847366=mt85]

I didn't imply any of the things you suggest. You've created those inferences on your own.
[/quote1146847366]

So what about Degands character would lead you to say those things. You must be aware of something I am not since none of the obvious inferences apply. Please tell us what is the flaw you have personal knowledge of in Degands character that would lead to such statements.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And Notre Dame... Frankly I don't see how Michigan or Notre Dame are any less appealing to recruits right now. They all seem to be in about the same position. Except for McDermott being a better coach than Amaker anyway.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hey, this forum has PM's for a reason fellas, so you don't have to air your dirty laundry for everybody to see. And I see some skid marks on your whitey tighties.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
MT - I think what you are missing is the FACT that a kid like Farnold can grow up in a large city on the east coast in a predominantly black neighborhood and not have to deal with any of those things that you mentioned. Iowa and Ames are a far cry from the east coast. For students of all color and ethnic makeup.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
[quote1146847660=JCloned]
[quote1146847366=mt85]

[/quote1146847366]

So what about Degands character would lead you to say those things. You must be aware of something I am not since none of the obvious inferences apply. Please tell us what is the flaw you have personal knowledge of in Degands character that would lead to such statements.
[/quote1146847660]

My comment had nothing to do with Degand's character. My comment was about living in a big city as opposed to Ames Iowa. Ames gets dissed on because it is a small boring town, but at least you don't have to deal with gangs, drive by shootings and drug dealers. This wasn't a statement about Degand it was statement about the differences between a small town in IA and the inner city.

This is where you injected your own prejudices. I wasn't talking about the person rather the differences between the enviroments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron