Dental insurance

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Anybody who doesn't have employer-provided dental insurance have any suggestions? Either for individual or families? In Iowa, if it makes a difference

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
The University of Iowa Dental School is a good option, I believe. I went there years ago. The students do the work but are closely supervised. The prices weren't as high as the private sector, and you know they are not going to recommend something be done unnecessarily. There is some risk in that someone inexperienced is doing the work, but they tend to be risk averse as a result. It takes more time because of the supervision and review of the profs, and students not wanting to go too far on their own (e.g. drilling). The prof might get involved if necessary in the actual work, which wasn't much the times I went.

And if you go somewhere else next, it gives you a good objective look, or baseline where things stand.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The University of Iowa Dental School is a good option, I believe. I went there years ago. The students do the work but are closely supervised. The prices weren't as high as the private sector, and you know they are not going to recommend something be done unnecessarily. There is some risk in that someone inexperienced is doing the work, but they tend to be risk averse as a result. It takes more time because of the supervision and review of the profs, and students not wanting to go too far on their own (e.g. drilling). The prof might get involved if necessary in the actual work, which wasn't much the times I went.

And if you go somewhere else next, it gives you a good objective look, or baseline where things stand.

Treason!!! You should be banned.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Unless braces are coming up in your family, dental insurance is one of the poorer options to get. When you find out the caps on annual payments it looks less appealing. I guess if you are in need of caps and crowns left and right it would help pay for about half of one each year, so it would pay then.

• Winner
Reactions: Bryce7

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Unless braces are coming up in your family, dental insurance is one of the poorer options to get. When you find out the caps on annual payments it looks less appealing. I guess if you are in need of caps and crowns left and right it would help pay for about half of one each year, so it would pay then.
Even with insurance I think my crown cost me about $400 out of pocket

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Braces have come and gone for 2 kids. 100% out-of-pocket. I've always blown off the insurance since it's so expensive and it looks like it hasn't changed. I was hoping somebody had a brilliant idea!

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Braces have come and gone for 2 kids. 100% out-of-pocket. I've always blown off the insurance since it's so expensive and it looks like it hasn't changed. I was hoping somebody had a brilliant idea!

Two kids in the same year for me. The out of pocket, upfront for a discount price was a $13-$14k check for me.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Like brushing your teeth? I'm here all week

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Two kids in the same year for me. The out of pocket, upfront for a discount price was a $13-$14k check for me.
Man, I was able to make no interest installments over 2 years. But, I also had to pay an ex-wife for "child support" which she spent on herself. Don't get me started. :)

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Like brushing your teeth? I'm here all week
200.gif

NealAlexander

Jan 16, 2017
Hi there, I have a chipped tooth and infection in my gums, which leads to severe pain. As per my family doctor's suggestion I decided to have a treatment of root canal in Los Angeles and searching for dental plans if you have any please tell me.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Dental insurance seems to not recoup what you pay for it. They do not seem to have contracts which cut the initial charge like health insurance. It sucks. My dink lower titanium tooth $5k and caps still cost $500 with blue cross/aetna/cigna combo. They pay for three cleanings of $90. Whoopee.

Reactions: NealAlexander