Des Moines Metro Brewers-You rank

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
I love Twisted Vine! It's the old Coconut Joes building. They have board games, themed parties, food trucks, and the beer is really good. Them and 515 are my 2 favorites in DSM.

Reactions: cycloner29

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
They aren't a locally owned company, but everything they make is brewed in house. They've got their core beers every location is required to make and then they also allow their brewmaster to brew his own stuff. I've enjoyed quite a bit of the original stuff from Flix.

I know not everyone is a beer nerd, so these types of posts make me conflicted. I'm glad people enjoy the beers they do and I'm glad there's a brewery that brews beers you enjoy. However, every single beer I've had from Fox is utter trash. Watery, off flavors, weird yeast profile, just technically not good beer. It's unfortunate that some people drink it and think it's actually good beer. Their IPA looked like an amber, had little to no hop presence, and tasted like someone poured Dial soap in it.

I like their beer, I like beer from a lot of places. Its unfortunate that you think everyone has the same flavor profile or palate you do. I like dark malty beers and everyone ive had from there has been decent, some I like more then others. I also like a lot of other breweries but maybe the put dial soap in it because you seem like a DOOSH (yes i know the correct spelling)

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I like their beer, I like beer from a lot of places. Its unfortunate that you think everyone has the same flavor profile or palette you do. I like dark malty beers and everyone ive had from there has been decent, some I like more then others. I also like a lot of other breweries but maybe the put dial soap in it because you seem like a DOOSH (yes i know the correct spelling)

I think you need to go to the doctor and see if they can do something about your palette.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like their beer, I like beer from a lot of places. Its unfortunate that you think everyone has the same flavor profile or palate you do. I like dark malty beers and everyone ive had from there has been decent, some I like more then others. I also like a lot of other breweries but maybe the put dial soap in it because you seem like a DOOSH (yes i know the correct spelling)
Fox and Olde Main are about the same quality/taste to me, and that means not good.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Anyone had Barntown's Sticky Juice?
I've heard they are finally catching back up and should have some in stock.

Yes, had a crowler about a month ago and have a couple bottles coming my way. I am actually more excited about the BA Cicada Killer bottle.

--Also, Double Hop Skewer was really good too...especially for a 12% IPA.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Looks like Fox(which I had never heard of before today) has a NEIPA on tap right now. Would be interesting to see what some of you IPA guys thought of it. Hard to see a brewery these days survive without an IPA.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I literally said the opposite. I fully understand not everyone has the same palate and can appreciate that. I cannot appreciate a brewery putting out a product unfit to be consumed. I've worked around beer/breweries/brewers/distributors for nearly half of my life, so while I may seem like a DOOSH, I am also aware of my knowledge of beer. Fox Brewing has several off flavors in their beers which are a byproduct of many things including unsanitary practices, improper brewing techniques, fermenting at the wrong temperature, among many other things. It's really too bad because Fox really does have an incredible set up. Their brew system is one of the nicest I've seen for a brewery of that size. It's been a month or so since I last tried Fox, perhaps you've found something I have not and I need to give it another spin.

I really do hope the brewer or brewers at Fox can get things figured out. They're near me and I really liked the space they have. There's nothing wrong with having a bunch of breweries in the Des Moines metro, I just wish we had a bunch of breweries making good beer.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'd go
  1. 515
  2. Barntown
  3. Confluence
  4. Firetrucker
  5. New American
  6. Madhouse
  7. Peace Tree
  8. Exile
  9. CAB
Never had Reclaimed Rails, Brightside, Fox or Twisted Vine. Been to Flix, but none of their beers either. Never even heard of Fenders

I don't get out much, especially to breweries, having a few young kids. So most of my beers are bought at the store.

MikeinWDM

Feb 12, 2018
How do you not like Fox Brewing? I love their beer, their Artic Breakfast is probably my favorite beer in des moines right now. I don't drink IPAs though, I find the flavor of piss to be quite gross. And I see most of the beers on your list are IPAs and Fox doesnt really brew them so thats why I like their stuff.
I love Fox Brewing also. Just a block west of the big brewpub/food truck barn off of Railroad in WDM. Good beer, and yeah, none of that vinegar piss IPAs.

Reactions: Cypwr

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Barn Town- Sticky Juice/ Hop skewer
Confluence- Thomas Beck/ DM IPA
Peace Tree- East Village/ No Coast
Exile- Mosaic Crown/ Chill Hop
515- OJ IPA
Firetrucker- Tropical Burn
Twisted Vine- Dynamo Haze
Madhouse- Carpe Diem
Fenders- 8:13
Brightside- East Coast
New American- Double Freedom
Reclaimed Rails- Blood Orange Wheat
Fox- nothing

Haven’t tried Court Ave, Flix

Last edited:

ShortBus

Jul 16, 2010
Ankeny
If you really enjoy good beer and haven’t been to Twisted Vine do yourself a favor and stop by. They have one of the most extensive line ups of any of the local breweries, something for everyone. I’m a hop head so I love both their Westown IPA and Green Banshee IPA. My other favorites breweries are Confluence, Peace Tree, and 515.

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
If you really enjoy good beer and haven’t been to Twisted Vine do yourself a favor and stop by. They have one of the most expensive line ups of any of the local breweries, something for everyone. I’m a hop head so I love both their Westown IPA and Green Banshee IPA. My other favorites breweries are Confluence, Peace Tree, and 515.
Did you mean expensive or expansive?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Now that I’m back from my ban I can finally give my list!

1)Confluence-quality and consistency matters
2)515-tastes really good. Sticking to what they know and are good at which leads to quality
3)Barntown-working it I hope they go the quality over quantity route as well
4) everything else but with a special shout out to Firetrucker for their Mango IPA. that’s a fantastic special beer

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Twisted Vine just upped their game with their new NEIPA release- Dynamo Haze. It’s not as good as Sticky Juice but pretty good.

Reactions: dmclone