Des Moines-New Taprooms

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
My guess, absolutely not happening. "Big" craft beer is in freefall right now.
Ehh, Barn Town, Lua, Big Grove and Confluence don’t seem to be having any problems packing the house every weekend so I doubt TG would either. I’m guessing they’re just having some sort of construction delays. Haven’t drove through the drake neighborhood lately to see if they’ve even started yet.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Ehh, Barn Town, Lua, Big Grove and Confluence don’t seem to be having any problems packing the house every weekend so I doubt TG would either. I’m guessing they’re just having some sort of construction delays. Haven’t drove through the drake neighborhood lately to see if they’ve even started yet.
Well they said it wouldn't be done until 2025, so I'm not shocked we haven't heard a lot.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
And it’s just a taproom, not a production brewery.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
And it’s just a taproom, not a production brewery.

I think they were planning on brewing some beer there, but obviously nowhere near what their main facility produces, sounded like mostly unique stuff for the des moines location (500-1000 barrels)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think they were planning on brewing some beer there, but obviously nowhere near what their main facility produces, sounded like mostly unique stuff for the des moines location (500-1000 barrels)
Right. It’s going to be a neighborhood brew pub, basically. Those kinds of places still work

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
None of these expanded with the hopes of growing into a national company the way TG did. Barn Town/Lua/Big Grove have the working template, local hubs offering more than just beer. Confluence is more of a New Glarus IMO, serving as a production brewery for this state and not expanding beyond that. A local TG hub could definitely be successful, but as a whole, TG is not selling the beer they need to be selling for the destination brewery they built. Therefore, I don't see it being viable to expand to a second taproom.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
None of these expanded with the hopes of growing into a national company the way TG did. Barn Town/Lua/Big Grove have the working template, local hubs offering more than just beer. Confluence is more of a New Glarus IMO, serving as a production brewery for this state and not expanding beyond that. A local TG hub could definitely be successful, but as a whole, TG is not selling the beer they need to be selling for the destination brewery they built. Therefore, I don't see it being viable to expand to a second taproom.
good post

not to turn this into a CyTown debate thread but bolded part gives me concern for the rumored taproom/brewery allegedly planned out

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
good post

not to turn this into a CyTown debate thread but bolded part gives me concern for the rumored taproom/brewery allegedly planned out
I don't think it should. Most of the breweries in Iowa still are regional/local breweries which don't seem to have been hit nearly as bad as larger breweries. Yeah, Lua has great food and excellent beer, but most of the people who are going there are locals/young folks just coming to socialize. Same with Big Grove who has been really successful building neighborhood hubs.

Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I don't think it should. Most of the breweries in Iowa still are regional/local breweries which don't seem to have been hit nearly as bad as larger breweries. Yeah, Lua has great food and excellent beer, but most of the people who are going there are locals/young folks just coming to socialize. Same with Big Grove who has been really successful building neighborhood hubs.
big grove woud be my number 1 pick for cytown.
solid beer. good food, cool aesthetic and most importantly, experience

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Sounds like Big Grove is planning to open another location in Omaha.