NSCR: Did he do it?

Did Kevin Harvick intentionally cause the final wreck?

• YES

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • NO

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I DON'T CARE

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Some people think Harvick purposefully caused the accident to keep himself in the chase. To me seems like a totally Harvick thing to do. In my opinion if NASCAR knew his engine was blowing, they should have made him park it or go to the end of the longest line at the very least.

Also of note, this would have never come to this, if they hadn't thrown the caution for the original green white checker when there were only two cars that were both still moving. In other words there was no danger to any drivers.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-fans-think-this-ridiculous-race-ending-wreck-was-1738589171

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'll preface this, while I do race dirt tracks I do not watch NASCAR. But yesterday I was at my dad's and he was watchign the race so I joined him. I honestly think Harvick was trying to move to the top side and get out of the way and thought the car passing him was already clear.

A side note, I didn't know until yesterday that they now have the chase format as a tournament. As if the the chase wasn't dumb enough they went and made it even dumber.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Impossible to know if Harvick did it on purpose but its a pretty big coincidence that Harvick needed a wreck, and quickly, to have any chance at advancing in the Chase and he got it (and I'm a fan of Harvick).

A side note, I didn't know until yesterday that they now have the chase format as a tournament. As if the the chase wasn't dumb enough they went and made it even dumber.

Personally, the new format makes the Chase races WAY more exciting. You can call it manufactured drama but the new format is much better than the old Chase format IMO.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I don't think so. It's plausible but I would be interested in hearing his radio during that time period.

One thing I would like to say is that Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the biggest joke in all of sports. He had the fastest car and blew it on several occasions. Too bad one of the elite cars is taken up by a joke of a driver.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Impossible to know if Harvick did it on purpose but its a pretty big coincidence that Harvick needed a wreck, and quickly, to have any chance at advancing in the Chase and he got it (and I'm a fan of Harvick).

Personally, the new format makes the Chase races WAY more exciting. You can call it manufactured drama but the new format is much better than the old Chase format IMO.

Understandable, but I prefer the pre-chase format.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I don't think so. It's plausible but I would be interested in hearing his radio during that time period.

One thing I would like to say is that Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the biggest joke in all of sports. He had the fastest car and blew it on several occasions. Too bad one of the elite cars is taken up by a joke of a driver.

Losing Jeff will be a blow to Hendricks. They only picked up JR for the money....

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Losing Jeff will be a blow to Hendricks. They only picked up JR for the money....

Agree with both your points. I'm done with Nascar once Jeff is gone. Him and Tony are really the only guys I ever liked and since Tony has regressed after his incident in NY, I'm out. Jeff Gordon is the GOAT imo.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Several drives said they think he did it on purpose. He went on the radio saying he would stay in his lane and for others to go around him, then at the restart he doesn't stay in his lane and turns up.

Yesterday was such a wasted of my time, every time I tune into a race, it stinks. Yesterday fans were robbed of getting an actual race to the finish that makes Talledega.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Agree with both your points. I'm done with Nascar once Jeff is gone. Him and Tony are really the only guys I ever liked and since Tony has regressed after his incident in NY, I'm out. Jeff Gordon is the GOAT imo.

I'm only watching for Jeff, so, I'm with you. I have been a fan of Jeff's for a long time, and have actually been to a couple races he won. I've met Jeff a couple times, and have a couple signed Jeff items too, which is very rare because he only signs for kids or fundraiser auctions.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Understandable, but I prefer the pre-chase format.

I agree, but NASCAR has become a sport catering to a bunch of people who don't understand what a season championship is (at least in respect to other racing series)...sure it's sometimes boring (sealed up before the last race), but the definition of a season championship is (or should be) who did best all season. I quit watching NASCAR shortly after the chase started because it's become a cartoon caricature of racing.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

:rolleyes:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Between the crew chief comments, the in-car video, and the overhead video, it was on purpose. Not even a question to me.

This new format is completely manufactured drama and I can't stand it. It's driving fans away and certainly not picking up anyone new. It'd be hilarious if someone like Gordon wins it without any wins and a mediocre year like Newman almost did last year.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I agree, but NASCAR has become a sport catering to a bunch of people who don't understand what a season championship is (at least in respect to other racing series)...sure it's sometimes boring (sealed up before the last race), but the definition of a season championship is (or should be) who did best all season. I quit watching NASCAR shortly after the chase started because it's become a cartoon caricature of racing.

I get the sentiment for the pre-Chase format but NASCAR needs to do something. Every other major sport has a playoff system. No reason NASCAR shouldn't have one too IMO.

The best regular system doesn't always win in any other sport, the NASCAR Chase format is no different.

Personally, I like the current format WAY more than the old format. Like I said, it may be manufactured drama but that's better than no drama IMO.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'm only watching for Jeff, so, I'm with you. I have been a fan of Jeff's for a long time, and have actually been to a couple races he won. I've met Jeff a couple times, and have a couple signed Jeff items too, which is very rare because he only signs for kids or fundraiser auctions.

My brother in law has about 10 pieces of items he had signed while at races in Indy, Michigan, Kansas, and a couple others. It's really not that hard to get it. You just have to be in the right spot.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I get the sentiment for the pre-Chase format but NASCAR needs to do something. Every other major sport has a playoff system. No reason NASCAR shouldn't have one too IMO.

The best regular system doesn't always win in any other sport, the NASCAR Chase format is no different.

Personally, I like the current format WAY more than the old format. Like I said, it may be manufactured drama but that's better than no drama IMO.

all they had to do to the old version of the Chase was actually give bonus points for wins. Significant points. That makes winning more important, but still rewards consistency.

Last edited:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
all they had to do to the old version of the Chase was actual give bonus points for wins. Significant points. That makes winning more important, but still rewards consistency.

I agree with this. Give bonus points for wins. There is no reason someone wins 6 or so races before the "playoffs" and then gets knocked out at one fluky race like Dega where it's luck almost if you finish the race.

All you have to do to get into the playoffs is win 1 race and/or be in the top 16 for points. Seems stupid to try to reward someone who was 16th in points with a chance at winning it all.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I agree with this. Give bonus points for wins. There is no reason someone wins 6 or so races before the "playoffs" and then gets knocked out at one fluky race like Dega where it's luck almost if you finish the race.

All you have to do to get into the playoffs is win 1 race and/or be in the top 16 for points. Seems stupid to try to reward someone who was 16th in points with a chance at winning it all.

I agree with this in the context that there are so many races. Honestly come up with a way to reward winning, that is all you have to do. If the sport was only about winning races it would be fun as all hell. Maybe they should just do away with the season championship, that way the only way you are making money is being at the front. That would be fun (potentially).

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Only in America. Take any other sport in any other country, and the league champion is the regular season champion.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I agree with this in the context that there are so many races. Honestly come up with a way to reward winning, that is all you have to do. If the sport was only about winning races it would be fun as all hell. Maybe they should just do away with the season championship, that way the only way you are making money is being at the front. That would be fun (potentially).

If they want to keep a Chase, then give like 20 bonus points per win over the year. Reset points at Chase time, but keep bonus points. So now you've made winning a priority during the year. No just working hard to get one win and then cruising the rest of the year or helping your teammate win instead. And it helps balance a ****** race - like Hamlin and his roof flaps. 20 points is half a race's worth of points with the current 1 per spot. Benefits guys like Busch who clearly are good enough to compete, but are forced to miss a couple races. (More than a couple, in his case)

So now at Chase time, Harvick or Logano are going in with a lead (again, rewarding them for their performance the first 26 races), but Gordon down in 9th or something, can rattle off a couple wins and be right there with them. It makes winning a priority, without destroying your chances if you have one bad race due to a $10 part like Johnson. And allows for the possibility of drama like NASCAR wants.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron