Did Hollywood Higgins miss this one???

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought so when I saw it. HIggins didn't lean over until too late. By the time he had a good view, the Tech player had lifted his foot off the line. The fact that Higgins leaned over told me that he knew he missed it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Close, but they'd need to be broadcasting in 16k to be able to tell on the TV feed.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I thought so when I saw it. HIggins didn't lean over until too late. By the time he had a good view, the Tech player had lifted his foot off the line. The fact that Higgins leaned over told me that he knew he missed it.
Good

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I could be wrong, but I think the over and back rule is set up so the player is like a 3 legged stool. The players two feet and the ball are the 3 legs. One foot can cross the line if the ball and the other foot are still in the frontcourt.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I could be wrong, but I think the over and back rule is set up so the player is like a 3 legged stool. The players two feet and the ball are the 3 legs. One foot can cross the line if the ball and the other foot are still in the frontcourt.
I could also be wrong, but I think once you are fully established in the front court, anything crossing the line is a violation.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You have it backwards. As Cyclonepride said, once you establish, anything crossing back is a violation. It is establishing in the front court where all three "legs of the stool" have to be across for you to be considered in the front court and can't go back. Sometimes guys get burned by receiving a pass from a teammate in the front court before they "touchdown" while jumping across the line. I have seen it several times this season where I thought for sure that ISU was going to get whistled for it but they didn't.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
By the way, wasn't it Tech that ended up losing late in the Tourney on a back court violation because the referees didn't have the balls to call the foul when the dribbler got bodied across the line? I'm not sure this one was missed but I'm perfectly okay with them getting a little bit of good luck go their way even if it was missed.

EDIT: Sorry, that was TCU I was thinking of...

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Quite odd, that player went right to the edge more than once, never seen that before. Good no call by Higgins IMO.
On another topic, did ya hear there's an active shooter coming to the ISU campus? Check out who is watching...:

Dude.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I think Higgins misses a lot. Ball goes out of bounds and he wasn't even looking. Other ref points for ISU opponent, Higgins then points same way and grabs the ball. But I have noticed he regularly is looking the wrong way. Like he can't stay focused.

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You have it backwards. As Cyclonepride said, once you establish, anything crossing back is a violation. It is establishing in the front court where all three "legs of the stool" have to be across for you to be considered in the front court and can't go back. Sometimes guys get burned by receiving a pass from a teammate in the front court before they "touchdown" while jumping across the line. I have seen it several times this season where I thought for sure that ISU was going to get whistled for it but they didn't.
After a brief look at the rules, I never saw anything that suggested '"3 legs of a stool". I would be interested in seeing that explained.

The closest I found (to 3 legs of a stool) was this:
A basketball player may not dribble the ball from the backcourt to the frontcourt and then return to the backcourt again. This is called an over-and-back violation. However, the dribbler has quite a bit of leeway when in the process of dribbling. The dribbler is not considered to be in the front court until both feet and the basketball are in the front court. If the dribbler has one foot in the backcourt while the ball and the other foot are in the front court, the dribbler is still considered to be in the backcourt. However, once the dribbler has both feet and the ball in the front court, the ball must remain in the front court from that point forward.

Here, it further defines 'over and back':
[Well, this site wouldn't let me copy and paste, but look at the "Over and Back Rule" there.]

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
After a brief look at the rules, I never saw anything that suggested '"3 legs of a stool". I would be interested in seeing that explained.

The closest I found (to 3 legs of a stool) was this:
A basketball player may not dribble the ball from the backcourt to the frontcourt and then return to the backcourt again. This is called an over-and-back violation. However, the dribbler has quite a bit of leeway when in the process of dribbling. The dribbler is not considered to be in the front court until both feet and the basketball are in the front court. If the dribbler has one foot in the backcourt while the ball and the other foot are in the front court, the dribbler is still considered to be in the backcourt. However, once the dribbler has both feet and the ball in the front court, the ball must remain in the front court from that point forward.

Here, it further defines 'over and back':
[Well, this site wouldn't let me copy and paste, but look at the "Over and Back Rule" there.]

That is how I've understood "the 3-legged stool" (one foot, the other foot, and the ball). Until you have both feet and the ball in the front-court, you are still considered to be in the back-court (and therefore no over-and-back can be called).

Help Support Us

Become a patron