Directv HD

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Back when we only got a handful of HD channels, that $10 for the Directv HD package felt a little steep. Now however, it looks cheap. How long til they raise it?

You're correct. Pretty soon they are going to add another $5 HD package. HDNet is suing Directv over this new package.

In an e-mail sent to customers this week, DIRECTV said HDNet, HDNet Movies and Universal HD will be moved to a new programming package called "DIRECTV HD Extra Pack."

The three channels have been available for years as part of the satcaster's basic $10 a month HD package,

However, on December 15, the HD Extra Pack, which will also include three recent channel additions (Smithsonian HD, MGM HD and MHD), will cost an extra $4.99 a month.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I love my HR10-250, but I'm starting to miss the ability to watch so much HD content. It's frustrating watching TV and knowing that show is available in HD, and that I'm paying for it in HD, but can't watch it due to the limitations of my receiver.

I have 2 of the HR10-250's, I just cannot bear the thought of losing these. I really want to get the new directv receivers, but they are not honoring their promise right now. Originally when I paid $799 for the HR10 I was promised a low or no cost upgrade, well now they want $300 each even though I have been a customer for 10 years. It would actually be cheaper for me to drop DTV and resign up in a few months.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
I have a dumb question. Right now we have Directv on our main tv but we're paying for mediacom so we have something on about 4 other tvs. What hardware and money does it take to get directv throughout my house? Gotta be cheaper than paying mediacom every month.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I have a dumb question. Right now we have Directv on our main tv but we're paying for mediacom so we have something on about 4 other tvs. What hardware and money does it take to get directv throughout my house? Gotta be cheaper than paying mediacom every month.

$5/month per receiver. I have DTV on 4 tivos in my house. I think I pay $70something a month for 4 tivos and the base package.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Ohh one more thing, if you get them to wire your house up, make sure they run 2 lines to each tv, you will need that if you add a DVR in any of the rooms.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

The hardware is pretty easy, generally. It's the cabling that's a pain. Unlike Cable, you can't just use splitters all over the place. You have to have the house wired quite specifically for satellite. It will basically require all the cables/wires in the house to terminate in one location, and then the wires from the satellite dish to also terminate there. Depending on how your house is laid out, this can be a serious PITA. If you're lucky, it won't be too bad, but if you have to start climbing through attics and drilling holes in walls, it can turn into a pretty big ordeal.

This is the time of year to wire it, if you're planning on doing it yourself though. It's always best to be in the attic when it's cool out :)