Misc: Disc Golf Pro Tour

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Ahhhh. The old arboretum days. Took too much time away from studies, but our makeshift course was a ton of fun....way before it became this popular.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Love me some disc golf. Gateway in Ames was always my favorite course. Big Creek is up there too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I tried looking it up and I can't find this years prize money, but last year winner took $5500, 2nd (2 were tied) took home like $3200. So I'm guessing he made about $3500

Yikes. So these men/women aren’t making a living doing this, huh?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I'll defer to @discydisc on this but it sounds like being sponsored and part of a team might be semi-lucrative to at least stay afloat.

Although the announcer asked the winner tonight about seeing him in 2 weeks in Waco, the winner, and his response was I can't play Waco because I have to move us into a different house.

Edit I mean all sports have to start somewhere 'for the love of the game'. Think of sponsored skaters in like the 80s, they didn't make ****. Or bands that tour forever on nothing.

I do video production and I always feel bad for the early YouTube pioneers. They didn't make **** and put out some amazing stuff that blew up the platform. Now you get your 5 year old to unbox a Barbie or stream yourself 'pwning noobs' and your a millionaire.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I'll defer to @discydisc on this but it sounds like being sponsored and part of a team might be semi-lucrative to at least stay afloat.

Although the announcer asked the winner tonight about seeing him in 2 weeks in Waco, the winner, and his response was I can't play Waco because I have to move us into a different house.

Edit I mean all sports have to start somewhere 'for the love of the game'. Think of sponsored skaters in like the 80s, they didn't make ****. Or bands that tour forever on nothing.

I do video production and I always feel bad for the early YouTube pioneers. They didn't make **** and put out some amazing stuff that blew up the platform. Now you get your 5 year old to unbox a Barbie or stream yourself 'pwning noobs' and your a millionaire.
Paul McBeth made around 32 g in winnings last year but Discraft pays him a quarter mil every year. Obviously not every pro disc golfer has a sweet sponsorship deal like that but I'm sure the top 5 maybe even 10 are doing more than ok.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Yes over the last couple years people have been getting more value from the disc manufacturers. Probably 20 or so players making 6 figures or more. Certainly where Gannon is headed. Sport is growing rapidly, very low cost of entry and Iowa has more courses per capita than any other state. Get out and throw!

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Catching up on the Vegas open now on the Jomez YouTube channel. Nice spotlight on Gannon (from Urbandale) in the beginning of the 2nd round.