Divorcing the Cable Company - Advice Needed

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'm a recent Roku convert -- love it! Right now I live in a house w/ 3 other guys, so we split the DirecTV, making it pretty cheap. But once I'm out on my own, I won't have it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Happy with Dish. Dumped Mediacom since our cable never worked and instead of fixing it, the serviceman called me a b!tch in my house in front of my kids. Less expensive and actually works. Our entire neighborhood for a four block radius dumped Mediacom since they would never actually fix our cable and we have a lot of satellite dishes around, lol.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
What about kids' channels like Cartoon Network? That'd be a deal breaker for our family.

Cartoon network is only available on their website. I was hurt by this too. However, my kids may have to suck it up.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
What about kids' channels like Cartoon Network? That'd be a deal breaker for our family.

There's a ton of kids stuff on netflix though. Maybe you'd get away with it, depending on how old your kids are.

Also saw today that Hulu may be changing their business model to make it only available to people with certain cable providers. Seems like a dumb move that they'll change their mind on, a la Netflix, but it might affect your decision making.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
There's a ton of kids stuff on netflix though. Maybe you'd get away with it, depending on how old your kids are.

Also saw today that Hulu may be changing their business model to make it only available to people with certain cable providers. Seems like a dumb move that they'll change their mind on, a la Netflix, but it might affect your decision making.

True, but its older stuff. However, this is why my kids can suck it up, because they watch Phineas and Ferb and SuperWhy on netflix without issue.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
True, but its older stuff. However, this is why my kids can suck it up, because they watch Phineas and Ferb and SuperWhy on netflix without issue.

****, I made it all the way to my senior year of high school without cable and there wasn't any sort of internet streaming or netflix back then. I turned out relatively well-adjusted and accepted by my peers.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
****, I made it all the way to my senior year of high school without cable and there wasn't any sort of internet streaming or netflix back then. I turned out relatively well-adjusted and accepted by my peers.

I figure now is as good as time as any to tell you. You are not accepted.

:smile:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron