Do I really need a credit score?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I am graduating in the spring and looking to buy a home to move into immediately after graduation. I haven't ever had a credit card and don't have a credit score. It is my understanding that a credit score is absolutely necessary to buy a house and get a mortgage, is this true?

I will have 20% for a down payment and on a 15 year fixed rate mortgage my payments will be below 25% of my monthly income. (for the price range that I am looking at).

I guess I feel that if a college grad has no debt, the down payment in hand, and a stable income that easily supports the house payment, they should realize that I am a good money manager and they shouldn't need a credit score.

TIA for your comments!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
They'll pull your scores for sure.

20% down, low debt ratio, and small payment:income will help you.

Just speaking from previous buying experience.

The big banks will probably have issues approving you with a "lack of history" but a credit union or small town bank will likely be more willing to work with you especially with 20% up front.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You could get a credit card and just make like one purchase a month on it and pay that in full. I've been doing that for about 4 years now.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
That is an interesting case. I'd be surprised if you don't have a credit rating, even without credit cards. My guess is the right lender will give you a loan, but the interest rate may not be the best. If nothing else, get some credit cards and use them as credit. Build your credit AND earn some nice kickback perks. We use our card for everything we can, then pay it off every month. Every few months we deposit a $250 check for using it.

TallKidIsTall

Mar 4, 2012
Fairfield
good credit score equals lower interest rates

despite having a job and no student loan debt they have no idea how well you will manage your money once you do have debt to pay off

get a credit card

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
You're going to get nicked on the interest rate for the credit score, and your (probable) lack of W2s showing a solid income for the last two years.

And having all the things you listed doesn't necessarily make you a good money manager. A skeptical mortgage officer is going to say "well mommy and daddy made sure they were taken care of."

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Sorry. Right or wrong, the system is set up so that you need a credit score. You might have to put your plans of home ownership on hold, unless maybe you could find a seller willing to sell on contract.

Otherwise, get some credit cards and pay them off every month.

It's a longshot, but would your parents be willing to cosign? That could work, but like I said, it's a longshot.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Some advice from a bad experence I had. Make sure you are where you want to be and doing what you want to be doing before buying a home. You may think it at first but once you get out there it may not be the situation you thought it was.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
holy **** yes. Your Credit Score is pretty much the most important thing from here on out.

Also what college grad wants to buy a house right out of college? And for that matter what college grad has 20% down?

Revenge of the Nerds - NERDS! - YouTube

Last edited:

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
You could just focus on a small bank.... But in reality you will want to get a credit card and not have to mess around with the game. Put $100 on it and pay it off

.Btw- holy crap, way to go. I am very, very jealous!

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
You want one, I have a good job, have no debt, etc but have never had a credit card so therefore no credit and had to pay an extra months rent deposit at my apartment.... just bs but get one and use it once a month and more importantly pay it off

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Go get a credit card right now, one with cash back, put what you buy on it, and pay it off every month.

Nov 11, 2011
First go to annualcreditreport.com to get your free credit report. Check to see if it is accurate. Any file will be scored and there are many scores used in the industry but save your money and don't purchase a score

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
First question any good banker will ask you is: where did you get all your money? You're graduating from college flush with cash? They'll need an explanation for that before they even hand you a pen.

I am graduating in the spring and looking to buy a home to move into immediately after graduation. I haven't ever had a credit card and don't have a credit score. It is my understanding that a credit score is absolutely necessary to buy a house and get a mortgage, is this true?

I will have 20% for a down payment and on a 15 year fixed rate mortgage my payments will be below 25% of my monthly income. (for the price range that I am looking at).

I guess I feel that if a college grad has no debt, the down payment in hand, and a stable income that easily supports the house payment, they should realize that I am a good money manager and they shouldn't need a credit score.

TIA for your comments!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I better get a credit card and buy groceries and gas on it and just pay the balance in full every month. It just seems like a dumb concept to me, but oh well.

Thanks again for all the advice, I appreciate it.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
First go to annualcreditreport.com to get your free credit report. Check to see if it is accurate. Any file will be scored and there are many scores used in the industry but save your money and don't purchase a score
Transunion, Experian, and Equifax will give you one free credit report. This year I'd consider filing two of them and then next year do the third. Your score won't match on all three more than likely.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I better get a credit card and buy groceries and gas on it and just pay the balance in full every month. It just seems like a dumb concept to me, but oh well.

Thanks again for all the advice, I appreciate it.
Get something with no annual fee and cash back, put all your bills on it, pay it off, get cash back. 1% doesn't sound like much but it adds up fast. You're spending extra by buying in cash/check as credit card fees and other overhead are added into the price of goods.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'd consider paying for your fico score as well just to see what it is before you buy, the non fako scores are at myfico.com.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron