Do some Moms take joy in filling kids schedules?

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Anybody know people or is your wife like this? Like they define themselves based on the number of activities their kids are in on a given day. Some sort of misguided self worth. They'll also usually comment on how expensive it is or how they're always running around. Make the kid pick one thing and be done with it.

The girls don't need dance, softball, soccer, music lessons, gymnastics, girl scouts and volleyball to make them viable citizens. They boys don't need to be in baseball, soccer, football, wrestling and band.b in most cases the kids may be good in one and going through the motions in the other. Let the kids do nothing sometimes - its not that bad.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Someone had a run in with a soccer mom and had to tell the world. Either that or someone is mad their mom is making them take dance classes, just step up and tell her you don't want to dude.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Anybody know people or is your wife like this? Like they define themselves based on the number of activities their kids are in on a given day. Some sort of misguided self worth. They'll also usually comment on how expensive it is or how they're always running around. Make the kid pick one thing and be done with it.

The girls don't need dance, softball, soccer, music lessons, gymnastics, girl scouts and volleyball to make them viable citizens. They boys don't need to be in baseball, soccer, football, wrestling and band.b in most cases the kids may be good in one and going through the motions in the other. Let the kids do nothing sometimes - its not that bad.

Do you even have kids?

If not, perhaps you should save your judgment of the way people "parent" until you go and have a family of your own.

If so, wow... :rolleyes:

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I wouldn't call dropping the kid off for the soccer coach to watch for an hour and a half parenting.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I wouldn't call dropping the kid off for the soccer coach to watch for an hour and a half parenting.

But letting them spend hours upon hours in front of the TV or computer is?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The thing is kids want to do these things. My daugher asked to play tball, she loves her dance class, and she has been waiting to play soccer for a year now. Is it too much for extra few hours of physical activity a week?

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
But letting them spend hours upon hours in front of the TV or computer is?

No. I think thats part of the problem. Some parents either lack the ability to interact with their kids in a positive manner so they minimize true quality family time and replace it with weekends full of games and activities. One couple I know doesn't get home until 830 on weeknights. Thats enough time to get the kids to shower and bed in order to start the cycle all over again.

I guess I'm just upset my neighborhood baseball team is dwindling. We can only play right and left field poison for so long.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I'd much rather have my kids involved in a sport or other outside activity than have them watching TV or playing video games all the time. But I know what the OP is getting at, and kind of agree. Some parents over do it when it comes to their kids. They have them running here, running there...involved in this, involved in that...and that doesn't even include school. It's almost as if they're living vicariously through their kids or need those activities to define who THEY are, not their kids.

ISUSwimmer

Sep 9, 2010
Ames
So are you saying kids are in too many activities cuz you think it is bad for them?
Or are you saying kids are in activities because parents don't want to interact with their kids.

Either way don't you think it is a little hypocritical to gripe about how parents interact with their families when what you truly wants to have those parents you are judging to leave their families to come play baseball with you?

I am guessing you don't have kids, but maybe you do. Either way you need to understand that maybe some of these people would just rather spend time with their families or watch their kids practice or compete or perform instead of leaving them and playing baseball.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Soccer moms can schedule as many activities for their kids as they want.

Just so long as they don't send me a condescending 3 page newsletter at X-mas telling me how awesome their kids are at whatever they happen to be in.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Soccer mom can do whatever she wants to keep that *** of hers in business, as long as I see her at Denny Arthur's every Saturday night dancing it out.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I think the important thing is to follow your kids' lead. If they love being active, and are doing a good job on their schoolwork and household chores, more power to them if they want to be in a ton of things.

Conversely, if a kid doesn't want to be involved in anything, I think it's a good family rule to say you have to do something. We won't allow our kids to be home being lazy or bored all the time.

Personally, for our family, having the kids in one activity per season is enough. By the time we get home from a 6PM activity, it's hard to get homework done, do the bedtime routine, and get them to bed at a decent enough hour for them. When you have multiple children, you can easily have this be the case most days of the week.

Bottom line: Do what works for your kids first, your family second.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

Just so long as they don't send me a condescending 3 page newsletter at X-mas telling me how awesome their kids are at whatever they happen to be in.

This right here. I don't even read the christmas newsletters from people anymore. Most of them are just ridiculous.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I have to admit, my dad does this, and from the first time he did it it came off as straight up d-bag. I'm proud of my daughter. Any of my friends that keep up with me on Facebook already know I'm proud of my daughter. Any parent that has a great relationship with their children knows that I'm proud of my daughter. I think a year-end summary of why I'm so proud of her is ridiculous.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the important thing is to follow your kids' lead. If they love being active, and are doing a good job on their schoolwork and household chores, more power to them if they want to be in a ton of things.

Conversely, if a kid doesn't want to be involved in anything, I think it's a good family rule to say you have to do something. We won't allow our kids to be home being lazy or bored all the time.

Personally, for our family, having the kids in one activity per season is enough. By the time we get home from a 6PM activity, it's hard to get homework done, do the bedtime routine, and get them to bed at a decent enough hour for them. When you have multiple children, you can easily have this be the case most days of the week.

Bottom line: Do what works for your kids first, your family second.

That's a pretty good summary of how I handle it.

I give my boy the option of being in anything he wants, with the rule that he has to go through a whole season once he starts- no quitting allowed.

He's had one year of Tae Kwon do (decided to quit at green belt), one year of little league baseball, three years of basketball, one year of flag football, and now is in his second year in tackle football. We don't let him do things that overlap, so he has to pick one. Tackle football has been by far his favorite.

I get what the OP is saying though- while encouraging participation is a great thing, the final word on how much participation is enough should be the child's. My son gets a little burned out by the end of football, with three practices and one game a week, his free time is somewhat limited. The relationships and confidence that he has built through football has been a great thing for him.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale

This is perfect.

Seems like FaceBook and Twitter has created an I need to one up you, brag-a-thon society.

Help Support Us

Become a patron