Do you want Campbell gone?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You can't pin anything on the defense. First off, they are exhausted being on the field constantly. Second, I think you see some scheme and individual play type things you wouldn't normally see because they know how badly we need a turnover/defense touchdown.

You hold a team to 10 points you've done your job. You can't expect them to be perfect, especially with the amount of time they spend on the field.

This. "Complimentary football" is having your offense keep the ball a long time so your defense doesn't have to ball out for 70 plays. USUALLY, that means running a lot of plays, especially runs, to keep the clock moving and shorten the game. You trade explosiveness for less defensive effort.

HOWEVER, if you go 3 and out all the time, it doesn't matter if you are running or passing. The key thing for "complimentary football" ISN'T running the ball -- it's KEEPING the ball. Which means getting first downs. HOW isn't important. WHAT is important. And I think offensively they have lost the plot on this idea.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I dont think anyone out there could do what campbell did to this program and for this program.

no I don’t want him gone but he’s gotta adjust and make changes to his overall philosophy, I feel. another year or two of it and then I could see wanting a change.

he’s iowa states greatest coach for crying out loud.

Listen, I like Campbell. I want to see him succeed. But I guess my more tempered view of him is based on the following:

1) I think you first have to look at the Big 12. I don't think there is any denying that the Big 12 Matt has faced is nowhere near what Rhoads faced. Are we really much improved, or is the Big 12 easier with teams like Texas Tech, K-State, Oklahoma State and Baylor not being what they were in the 2010s?

2) I also don't think you can disregard the fact his most successful year (2020) was a very weird one where we played some seriously undermanned teams.

3) I don't know you can view 2021 as anything other than a massive underachievement, especially now that we've seen several of those guys start successful NFL careers.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think Campbell should be fired yet, but I'm as disappointed as anyone. It IS time for Campbell to be very very introspective. I understand that nobody wanted to lose Scheelhause (sp?), but to put him in at OC without hiring a very senior "consultant" to be sitting beside him is just pathetic. If CMC is going to act as a GM then BE an actual GM and recognize all of the needs and plug those holes. It is unconscionable to be a P4 coach in YEAR 8 and be in this situation.

Heacock deserves so much more than this. God bless that man!
I am so torn on what to think of Scheelhause. After all, it was Campbell who hyped him to be a future head coach a few years back. Yet now, it is the same man that is really not doing Scheelhause any favors whatsoever. I had started to question the overarching statement Campbell made about him all those years ago. A future HC, yet he can't even coach a position group to be successful (WR). Then he gets promoted to OC on the basis of...coaching a terrible WR room the past couple years? And like you said, without any sort of consultant with experience to help him out. If Scheelhause is ever going to make a name for himself in the coaching industry, things better turn around fast. Otherwise, he is losing luster awfully quick, and might just see his career go down with Campbell's and the ship.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
With a 3rd straight disappointment of a season brewing I am checked out and it's only September and for that reason I voted yes. CMC is a great guy and coach but I sincerely don't see him pulling this program out of its current and continued nose dive.

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Listen, I like Campbell. I want to see him succeed. But I guess my more tempered view of him is based on the following:

1) I think you first have to look at the Big 12. I don't think there is any denying that the Big 12 Matt has faced is nowhere near what Rhoads faced. Are we really much improved, or is the Big 12 easier with teams like Texas Tech, K-State, Oklahoma State and Baylor not being what they were in the 2010s?

2) I also don't think you can disregard the fact his most successful year (2020) was a very weird one where we played some seriously undermanned teams.

3) I don't know you can view 2021 as anything other than a massive underachievement, especially now that we've seen several of those guys start successful NFL careers.
This is exactly where I am at. During that 2021 season you could really feel the program momentum stall. I said at the time that 2022 was going to be a huge season for Campbell's future trajectory at ISU. After last season it was undeniable that the program had started moving backward fast. I said at that time that I don't see Campbell ever turning this thing around. I really really want him to turn things around, and I want him to be the head coach here for a long time, but if this continues thru the end of this season I would absolutely vote to bring in a new coach. A new coach obviously doesn't guarantee any more success in the future, but this current regime doesn't appear to be capable of long-term success. I also want to note that I am totally happy that Campbell at ISU happened. He brought some truly successful seasons and NFL talent and is definitely one of the best coaches in ISU history. But over these past 3 seasons.....what happened?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
This is exactly where I am at. During that 2021 season you could really feel the program momentum stall. I said at the time that 2022 was going to be a huge season for Campbell's future trajectory at ISU. After last season it was undeniable that the program had started moving backward fast. I said at that time that I don't see Campbell ever turning this thing around. I really really want him to turn things around, and I want him to be the head coach here for a long time, but if this continues thru the end of this season I would absolutely vote to bring in a new coach. A new coach obviously doesn't guarantee any more success in the future, but this current regime doesn't appear to be capable of long-term success. I also want to note that I am totally happy that Campbell at ISU happened. He brought some truly successful seasons and NFL talent and is definitely one of the best coaches in ISU history. But over these past 3 seasons.....what happened?
Ohio's defense appeared to know our plays before we ran them, especially in the run game. For as much as Campbell has talked about being "multiple," we sure don't look it and opposing defenses don't act like we are in any way challenging to scheme against. This apparent obsession with the offense being "vanilla" in the non-conference is a joke.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Other teams figured us out, and many now have superior talent.

We apparently refuse to adjust our offensive philosophy and playcalling.

Our O-line play probably suffers because we tip plays, and are routinely forced to attempt to block more people than we have blockers at the line of scrimmage.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Defense certainly isn't at fault BUT they don't create like Iowas defense does and we had Ohio pinned inside the 5 three times in that game and every time they were able to string together at least a couple 1st downs and flip the field. Unfortunately they are going to need to be more than really good, they are going to have to take advantage of those situations and get the offense the ball back around midfield.

How dare you question the almighty defense?

People need to come to the realization the defense can "not be the problem" while also leaving potential impact plays on the table at the same time. Heacock acknowledged last year's team didn't make enough impact plays: turnovers, scores, sacks and that it likely mitigated the unit's impact on outcomes. He talked about being "more agressive", went out and showed it against UNI, and some of those big play results were evident. But these last two games, and especially against Ohio? Mostly base defense, and little in the way of defensive impact plays in either of those two games.

The offense is a ******* dumpster fire and is likely going to have a hard time improving over the course of the year. If this team wants to win games they have to create on defense, play great special teams (more capable of that this year), and limit penalties/mistakes. Those chances go up if we (somehow) go more pass heavy, with more middle of the field rhythm throws for Rocco. I think he showed, if given a chance, he can get into a good rhythm and move us down field.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Other teams figured us out, and many now have superior talent.

We apparently refuse to adjust our offensive philosophy and playcalling.

Our O-line play probably suffers because we tip plays, and are routinely forced to attempt to block more people than we have blockers at the line of scrimmage.

It's crazy how easy we make it for teams to demolish us. No misdirection, deception, or disguising. We also make it easy for them to defend our routes with minimum coverage given the route trees and depth of our routes.

The offense has failed before the ball is even snapped (like last year).

• Dumb
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
How dare you question the almighty defense?

People need to come to the realization the defense can "not be the problem" while also leaving potential impact plays on the table at the same time. Heacock acknowledged last year's team didn't make enough impact plays: turnovers, scores, sacks and that it likely mitigated the unit's impact on outcomes. He talked about being "more agressive", went out and showed it against UNI, and some of those big play results were evident. But these last two games, and especially against Ohio? Mostly base defense, and little in the way of defensive impact plays in either of those two games.

The offense is a ******* dumpster fire and is likely going to have a hard time improving over the course of the year. If this team wants to win games they have to create on defense, play great special teams (more capable of that this year), and limit penalties/mistakes. Those chances go up if we (somehow) go more pass heavy, with more middle of the field rhythm throws for Rocco. I think he showed, if given a chance, he can get into a good rhythm and move us down field.
We gave up 10 points. A team shouldn't have to pitch a shut-out to beat a MAC team.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Reality is this:

CMC will get a pass this year for the following reasons.

1. 5 starters, all upperclassmen gone because of gambling
2. Changes were made to coaching staff last year for better or worse, hey we qb sneak effectively now.
It’s too soon with Clanton and strength coach. No way they have had time to be successful in implementing their approach. Hopefully both contribute to building an improved Oline, if that occurs then winning will as well.
There is not an offensive coordinator in the world that can scheme a run game with the line we have, it’s the reality of where we are at.
3. There are some very young and talented pieces to this team. The young running backs would be much more successful if they were taking on dbacks instead of dlinemen and linebackers. Cartevious would be nasty with cleaner holes to get through. See above with need for an Oline.
4. The buyout and the support for the program is too high to go in a different direction. The support will reduce with losses that’s for sure. But not yet.
5. CMC has faults but how he wants to play is how we should play. We need to pound the rock and use multiple tight ends. Our ability to get big time receivers may be tough. We can have good ones but there won’t be a plethora.
6. CMC has shown he can recruit diamonds in the rough, we need that here. He has gotten the best qb, 2 of the best running backs, best tight end, best d lineman, to come to ISU, EVER. Before anyone says TD was our best back ever, TD never did much in the NFL and certainly wasn’t a multiple year starter.

When was the last time we had a first round draft choice before last year? They found Will and developed him.

I’m fine with turning up the pressure on CMC, but to want him gone is stupid.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Reality is this:

CMC will get a pass this year for the following reasons.

1. 5 starters, all upperclassmen gone because of gambling
2. Changes were made to coaching staff last year for better or worse, hey we qb sneak effectively now.
It’s too soon with Clanton and strength coach. No way they have had time to be successful in implementing their approach. Hopefully both contribute to building an improved Oline, if that occurs then winning will as well.
There is not an offensive coordinator in the world that can scheme a run game with the line we have, it’s the reality of where we are at.
3. There are some very young and talented pieces to this team. The young running backs would be much more successful if they were taking on dbacks instead of dlinemen and linebackers. Cartevious would be nasty with cleaner holes to get through. See above with need for an Oline.
4. The buyout and the support for the program is too high to go in a different direction. The support will reduce with losses that’s for sure. But not yet.
5. CMC has faults but how he wants to play is how we should play. We need to pound the rock and use multiple tight ends. Our ability to get big time receivers may be tough. We can have good ones but there won’t be a plethora.
6. CMC has shown he can recruit diamonds in the rough, we need that here. He has gotten the best qb, 2 of the best running backs, best tight end, best d lineman, to come to ISU, EVER. Before anyone says TD was our best back ever, TD never did much in the NFL and certainly wasn’t a multiple year starter.

When was the last time we had a first round draft choice before last year? They found Will and developed him.

I’m fine with turning up the pressure on CMC, but to want him gone is stupid.
When the defense was sucking a few years ago, they were able to make scheme changes mid-season and actually finish with some improvement.

When the offense was sucking last year, they did not seem to have an answer. A change was made in the offseason as a result. We do not appear to be noticeably better at all this season so far. If there isn't any signs of progress or creativity within the offense through the remainder of this year, it gets harder to give CMC another pass. Last Saturday's offense performance did not look like a player issue to me.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
We gave up 10 points. A team shouldn't have to pitch a shut-out to beat a MAC team.

Dude please read the post, think about what's being said, and evaluate the merit before responding. NOBODY is saying we give up "too many points" or that the defense is the primary problem. What we ARE saying is that the unit needs to be more aggressive to create more impactful plays in order for this team to win games. That's 100% true (sadly).

Did you know we have "created" 6 sacks and 3 TOs the entire year? Five of those sacks came against UNI, as did 2 of those TOs, which are all (btw...which I'm sure you do know) INTs by Jeremiah Cooper. No forced fumbles and only one sack and TO the last 2 games.

We have to be more aggressive and force teams into making more mistakes. Another illustrations of (both) our defensive lack of aggression and offensive deception (us being predictable) is the amount of penalties the opposition's been flagged for. In 3 games our opposition has been flagged a paltry 7 times for 67 yards. While yes, Iowa is historically a disciplined team, any team that avgs 2.3 penalties per game for 22.33 yards per game is doing something wrong.

The entire team is too vanilla. Our offense is a disaster yet they (likely) have an inability to change due to a lack of talent up front, in the receiving corps, and between the ears on the sideline. Our defense is not only the BEST unit, it's also the unit more capable of making impact plays. We need that from them whether you like it or not. It's also not "fair" but it is what it is.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Dude please read the post, think about what's being said, and evaluate the merit before responding. NOBODY is saying we give up "too many points" or that the defense is the primary problem. What we ARE saying is that the unit needs to be more aggressive to create more impactful plays in order for this team to win games. That's 100% true (sadly).

Did you know we have "created" 6 sacks and 3 TOs the entire year? Five of those sacks came against UNI, as did 2 of those TOs, which are all (btw...which I'm sure you do know) INTs by Jeremiah Cooper. No forced fumbles and only one sack and TO the last 2 games.

We have to be more aggressive and force teams into making more mistakes. Another illustrations of (both) our defensive lack of aggression and offensive deception (us being predictable) is the amount of penalties the opposition's been flagged for. In 3 games our opposition has been flagged a paltry 7 times for 67 yards. While yes, Iowa is historically a disciplined team, any team that avgs 2.3 penalties per game for 22.33 yards per game is doing something wrong.

The entire team is too vanilla. Our offense is a disaster yet they (likely) have an inability to change due to a lack of talent up front, in the receiving corps, and between the ears on the sideline. Our defense is not only the BEST unit, it's also the unit more capable of making impact plays. We need that from them whether you like it or not. It's also not "fair" but it is what it is.

I would tend to agree with this. The defense is playing really, really well. But we spend an awful lot of time dropping 8 and having our front 3 get absolutely no pressure. I think it also leaves us very susceptible to the QB scramble, as we saw.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
With how we've been wanting to run our offense in that it's insanely conservative, you HAVE to be more aggressive defensively to create havoc. If our offense doesn't get a short field to work with it's screwed. Now, if we become more aggressive offensively (which has to happen), then you don't have to be as aggressive defensively because the other team's offense is going to press more and create their own mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.