• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Good thing we don’t have a huge NIL presence. Namaste
What? It is all about return on investment, even putting the amount of money that we put in play, makes people overreact. We lost a bundle of experience through the betting situation and small mistakes in these games makes our young team lose it, taking about giving the boot in this situation is overreaction!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
They did when they lost 40% of the offensive starters to the gambling fiasco. What did people expect. Even Alabama/Texas would be set back by that.
It doesn’t matter who the back is when they’re met in the backfield. Brahmer is just as good as Hanika and they weren’t using him properly anyway. The only real loss was Remsberg and while Neal has been very not good, the rest of the line hasn’t been good either. I rewatched offensive snaps tonight and I’m not sure I’ve seen so many blockers on the ground and turned around in a single game. We also had tackles with such poor steps that undersized LBs were beating them with a bull rush. What I don’t understand is how they are pretty damn organized in terms of pass protection and knowing what to do with stunts and everything.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
And I ope.

If you want to have a futile existence you could spend your life trolling these threads, picking out stupid comments (that didn't age well), and reposting. For every 1-11 prediction there were some saying 8-9 wins was very realistic. As always the truth falls somewhere in the middle.

I will say Campbell is very fortunate in that the Big 12 is VERY bad this year, maybe the worst it's ever been in it's existence. You have OuT, maybe Kansas, maybe KState if they can get their **** together, then a bunch of *******. It's entirely possible that a bad Iowa Stae team wins 6..maybe even 7 games this year. If the conference was as good as it's been for most of the last decade we'd be lucky to win 4-5 (we wouldn't have beat TCU or OSU most years with the team we have right now).

To be honest I don't give two ***** about our record as I couldn't care less about going to some mediocre bowl that shouldn't even exist in the first place. More than that, I want to see Campbell show he is willing to adapt (add Scheelhaase...an overall offensive philosophy chancge), Heacock to be slightly more aggressive/adaptive with his base defense, and to (more than anything) see SOMETHING from our offensive line. I'm so sick and ******* tired of seeing a below average oline year after year when virtually every other Power 5 school has shown glimpses once in a blue moon.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If you want to have a futile existence you could spend your life trolling these threads, picking out stupid comments (that didn't age well), and reposting. For every 1-11 prediction there were some saying 8-9 wins was very realistic. As always the truth falls somewhere in the middle.

I will say Campbell is very fortunate in that the Big 12 is VERY bad this year, maybe the worst it's ever been in it's existence. You have OuT, maybe Kansas, maybe KState if they can get their **** together, then a bunch of *******. It's entirely possible that a bad Iowa Stae team wins 6..maybe even 7 games this year. If the conference was as good as it's been for most of the last decade we'd be lucky to win 4-5 (we wouldn't have beat TCU or OSU most years with the team we have right now).

To be honest I don't give two ***** about our record as I couldn't care less about going to some mediocre bowl that shouldn't even exist in the first place. More than that, I want to see Campbell show he is willing to adapt (add Scheelhaase...an overall offensive philosophy chancge), Heacock to be slightly more aggressive/adaptive with his base defense, and to (more than anything) see SOMETHING from our offensive line. I'm so sick and ******* tired of seeing a below average oline year after year when virtually every other Power 5 school has shown glimpses once in a blue moon.
We've seen both of these in the past couple weeks, and the defense has generated plenty of turnovers this year. Sure, the conference is bad, but we are supposed to be the worst of it. We aren't so far. What's next?

You can't throw out suggestions while refusing to acknowledge when they've already happened.

Reactions: CyDude16

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

1.) one there were far more comments of 1-11 than 8-9 wins lmao
2.) a 6th bowl game that you may find meaningless is far better than any previous coach has done here

• Dumb
Reactions: ICCYFAN

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
2.) a 6th bowl game that you may find meaningless is far better than any previous coach has done here
I didn't engage in any "fire Campbell" threads following the Ohio U game, but I'm tired of hearing the "better than any previous coach here" rhetoric. He's not a better coach than Earle Bruce, who went 8-3 when the Big 8 was arguably the best football conference in the land. Had Earle Bruce not been snagged by Ohio State, I believe he would have established ISU as a solid football program.
I'm also sick of the fans who advocate for having low expectations because "we are Iowa State", and there are many. We deserve a competitive football program with the resources allotted over the past eight years, way more than those provided to any previous coach. Campbell needs to deliver winning seasons, plain and simple.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I didn't engage in any "fire Campbell" threads following the Ohio U game, but I'm tired of hearing the "better than any previous coach here" rhetoric. He's not a better coach than Earle Bruce, who went 8-3 when the Big 8 was arguably the best football conference in the land. Had Earle Bruce not been snagged by Ohio State, I believe he would have established ISU as a solid football program.
I'm also sick of the fans who advocate for having low expectations because "we are Iowa State", and there are many. We deserve a competitive football program with the resources allotted over the past eight years, way more than those provided to any previous coach. Campbell needs to deliver winning seasons, plain and simple.

Campbell is better. And I love Earle Bruce. Earle never came close to ever beating Oklahoma.

And the 12-10 debacle losing to Iowa without scoring an offensive TD in 1977 was not good.

Reactions: aauummm

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
We've seen both of these in the past couple weeks, and the defense has generated plenty of turnovers this year. Sure, the conference is bad, but we are supposed to be the worst of it. We aren't so far. What's next?

You can't throw out suggestions while refusing to acknowledge when they've already happened.

By saying the defense has generated plenty of turnovers this year do you mean Cooper? Basically it's been (mostly him) and a few others sprinkled in. Definitely steps in the right direction but hardly what I was getting at.

You can say this about a lot of defenses but Heacock's defense needs 3 things to really work. One is having a competent secondary that keeps plays in front, can play decent enough man coverage to prevent big/sideline plays, and safeties to take away homeruns. Over the past several years that's probably been the most consistent part of our defense in various forms (sometimes the safeties beng better than the corners and vice versa). The problem is we have also had either (sometimes both) elite LBS (or LB like a Rose) and elite lineman like a Bailey or McD.

Problem is we don't have a great line, nor do we have a good LB corps. It's probably the first time since Campbell's first or second year that's been the case. The result is we struggle to stop the run (dl don't make plays and LBs don't fill gaps/shed blockers) and the LBs aren't as adept at dropping into coverage. The result is we are relatively getting eaten alive at the line and the short/middle of the field. QBs have had all day to throw the ball most of the time so if you aren't/can't generate pressure with 3 DLs OR have your LBs make plays in your base defense you need to make some adjustments. We've been fortunate we played Bowman (who was ******* terrible against us) and a backup QB and the weakest TCU team in years last week.

This doesn't mean the defense is perfect. I still maintain, short of the LBS (which is where we probably have the biggest chance for gains) stepping up big time, we will need to be more aggressive with our base to minimize the defensive damage. Our secondary is pretty stout, why not lean on them more than we do? We also don't play enough press/shorter drops on third and long situations. Again, the lack of pressure and lack of LB playmaking ability gives too much time and ground in the middle of the field.

Am I happy with more TOs? Yes, I am. But we are also giving up a fuckton more yardage than we have the last few years. We simply don't have the personnel to sit back and have the base defense keep teams under 20 points consistently. Nor do we have the offense to rely on scoring 20+ consistently.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011

I don't know if I would go quite that far.... I agree it is down from last year for sure. If you want VERY BAD football, look no further than the Big 10 West.

Reactions: aauummm

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Campbell is better. And I love Earle Bruce. Earle never came close to ever beating Oklahoma.

Can you imagine what Bruce could have accomplished at ISU with these facilities, this type of support and scholarship limits for everyone?

I doubt Campbell would have lasted more than 3 seasons with what Bruce had to coach with. That doesn't make him bad.....just a different time and animal football was at ISU back then.

You can keep arguing but it's pointless. They are both great coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.