Do you want to own a brewery?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I have doubts Mistress will last. Ever try their beer? First rule when opening a brewery make sure the beer is good.
Their labels are enough for me to pass. If your core lineup is made up of hair colors, I'm going to pass.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Their identity issues go back farther than that. It starts with their foundation as Old Man River in McGregor, back in like 2009 or so. Which is why I initially thought of them.

That said, from a beer stand point, they've been pretty solid recently. As soon as I saw the "tourism" angle, I was assuming it was Millstream. And their beer is a definite step behind Backpocket.
When I was still behind the bar at el Bait Shop, we still sold a ton of Schild Brau. Always sell a ton of their Root Beer too.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
When I was still behind the bar at el Bait Shop, we still sold a ton of Schild Brau. Always sell a ton of their Root Beer too.

I think John's White is generally popular too.

I don't think they lack fans, I'm just saying I think Backpocket makes generally better beer. There are some well done Millstream beers, but they've been pretty stuck in the mud.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This. I'm no boomer, but their naming and whole schtick is really stupid.

AND the beer sucks. :mad:

...and their radio ads??? I don't get it.

" We came up with this name as a deduction to our wives" (paraphrasing)

What? Isn't "Mistress" the opposite....i.e... basically anti-wife? I've never understood that line in their ads.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
...and their radio ads??? I don't get it.

" We came up with this name as a deduction to our wives" (paraphrasing)

What? Isn't "Mistress" the opposite....i.e... basically anti-wife? I've never understood that line in their ads.
The story is their wives came up with the name because their husbands spent so much time brewing beer it was like it was their mistress. I live in north Ankeny and have been there a few times. It's ok, but Fire Trucker is only a little further away and I like it better.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The story is their wives came up with the name because their husbands spent so much time brewing beer it was like it was their mistress. I live in north Ankeny and have been there a few times. It's ok, but Fire Trucker is only a little further away and I like it better.

That is the story I've heard on the name as well. I actually don't mind the name. You need something catchy/edgy in the craft beer industry, but I can see why people are put off by it.

Their Little Black Dress black IPA is my go to. They also have a dopplebock that is decent. Most of their others I don't care for, but that is true of a lot of breweries. I have had good service most times , and appreciate that there is wait staff that takes care of you instead of having to crowd the bar to get a beer.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I gotta think things like breweries and dispensaries are overpriced due to the fun factor. Plus the sheer volume of them. Wait until a recession when people start doing their drinking out of Black Velvet bottles rather than going to breweries.
In the late 90's, I predicted that expensive coffee shops (like Starbucks) would never make it through a recession.

Reactions: Doc

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
What type of legalities are involved when a business like this is sold...but the sale includes language that the new owners must continue to produce specific products? What/when can the new owners make decisions that impact the business they bought? For example, in this case what if a new owner noticed a drop in sales of a legacy product and decided it wasn't worth producing anymore due to lack of sales? Is there specific language that will dictate those types of decisions?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What type of legalities are involved when a business like this is sold...but the sale includes language that the new owners must continue to produce specific products? What/when can the new owners make decisions that impact the business they bought? For example, in this case what if a new owner noticed a drop in sales of a legacy product and decided it wasn't worth producing anymore due to lack of sales? Is there specific language that will dictate those types of decisions?

Usually there are timeout clauses for those things. If they are too long, you produce enough in a couple five gallon pails to make a couple cases and fulfill your obligations

Reactions: cyfanatic

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
The short answer to the question posed in the title of the thread is "No". The market is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over-saturated and we are on the backside of the wave of craft breweries. If I am going to invest in a vice it is going to be weed.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy