Does banning a team from post season play hurt the school or the current player more?

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
If the issues happened with past players, should the new players be penalized? I would like to see penalties be financial to the schools. IMO, let the school compete but receive zero dollars for going to a bowl. Why penalize the players that had no knowledge of the previous infractions.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Re: Does banning a team from post season play hurt the school or the current player m

If they got zero dollars i bet a lot of schools would turn down the bowl invites, as its not cheap at all to go to a lot of bowls. Also, it would affect northern teams that are more likely to be farther from their bowls more.

The way to make it fair is to let players transfer w\o penalty, especially if the violations occurred before they ever started at the school.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Re: Does banning a team from post season play hurt the school or the current player m

If they got zero dollars i bet a lot of schools would turn down the bowl invites, as its not cheap at all to go to a lot of bowls. Also, it would affect northern teams that are more likely to be farther from their bowls more.

The way to make it fair is to let players transfer w\o penalty, especially if the violations occurred before they ever started at the school.

Then it would be on the schools to tell the players they are not getting the perks that come from a bowl.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Then it would be on the schools to tell the players they are not getting the perks that come from a bowl.

Well yeah, but a lot of those players will be locked into those schools before the penalties are put in.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Well yeah, but a lot of those players will be locked into those schools before the penalties are put in.

Exactly. Look at USC.... Every current player was given the opportunity to transfer with no penalty and the recruits that had signed with USC were given the opportunity to get out of their LOI's if they chose to do so.

I would imagine the same thing will happen at Ohio State if they receive a post season bowl ban or other significant penalties that will severely harm the program.