Does every fanbase overhype their potential draft picks?

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
I've been following the Cyclones for 20+ years and more often than not people say how so-and-so is a sure thing draft pick. And then they don't get drafted. One example that comes to mind is Kirby Van der kamp. Obviously Lazard and most recently TJ Tampa.

I know every fan base is excited for their players, but does this happened to every fan base with the frequency it happens to Iowa State?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Of course. Much like every coach says a lot of coach speak but we always think ours are the worst. Or special teams.

Reactions: Aclone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I've been following the Cyclones for 20+ years and more often than not people say how so-and-so is a sure thing draft pick. And then they don't get drafted. One example that comes to mind is Kirby Van der kamp. Obviously Lazard and most recently TJ Tampa.

I know every fan base is excited for their players, but does this happened to every fan base with the frequency it happens to Iowa State?
There is more than one round in a draft. Also, using a punter as an example!?! Odd post

Reactions: cyputz

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Sometimes. We also underrate some guys too. Like Abdel Nader getting drafted, or Kene Nwangwu going in the 4th round.

Fans were hoping Will McDonald would be a first rounder, but going 15th was probably higher than most predicted.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Sukeyes are always over hyped by their
fan-boys (journalists )

I expected to see a LOT more tears coming from the Hawkroaches when Cooper DeJean didn't go in the first round. I think ISU fans had tempered their expectations a bit more on TJ Tampa and had said he "could" go as high as a first rounder, but when DeJean didn't go I think everyone knew he'd stay in the 2nd.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I want to meet these people that were hyping up Kirby Van der Kamp's draft stock and ask them what the **** they were thinking.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Who overhyped TJ? I don't remember seeing anyone who gave TJ much chance at the first round after he put up those 40 times. Most were/are projecting 2nd or 3rd after that. Along with the Kirby Vanderkamp take this is a weird post.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and Tailg8er

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
I want to meet these people that were hyping up Kirby Van der Kamp's draft stock and ask them what the **** they were thinking.

@demoncore1031 https://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/van-der-kamp-to-the-jags.187452/#post-3969301

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
It doesn’t help that the TV people also list 70-80 players as guaranteed first round picks.
I was going to say there are probably 100 kids who "have a 1st round grade" or it's said "could be taken in the 1st round" about them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron