Does every fanbase overhype their potential draft picks?

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I've been following the Cyclones for 20+ years and more often than not people say how so-and-so is a sure thing draft pick. And then they don't get drafted. One example that comes to mind is Kirby Van der kamp. Obviously Lazard and most recently TJ Tampa.

I know every fan base is excited for their players, but does this happened to every fan base with the frequency it happens to Iowa State?
If you had followed the NFL for 20+ years, you might have noticed that there is more than 1 round. Also, in 100+ years of ISU having a football program, we've really only had the option to be excited about draft picks within the last 5 years. Tampa will be drafted, but i dont think it surprises anyone that he wasnt a first rounder. The last guy to be hyped as a first round pick was a first round pick to the Jets, literally last year. What frequency are you referring too?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

@demoncore1031 https://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/van-der-kamp-to-the-jags.187452/#post-3969301
It even says in the article he wasn't expecting to get drafted. 1 or 2 punters a year get drafted total. It's laughable you think there was some kind of "hype" around Kirby getting drafted.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone and Tailg8er

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes. The draft is kinda fun but there's plenty of examples of nothing being guaranteed.

Same with college recruiting.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022

@demoncore1031 https://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/van-der-kamp-to-the-jags.187452/#post-3969301
imagine linking an april fools thread and an article from the Iowa State Daily that states he wont get drafted, as evidence of overhyping. OP, you good?

Reactions: Cyclonsin

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I just love the draft room reactions. All 32 teams can't possibly get their guy.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I want to meet these people that were hyping up Kirby Van der Kamp's draft stock and ask them what the **** they were thinking.
Once Blake Bortles got picked #3, Kirby looked down at his phone to make sure he had enough battery for the upcoming call.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
KXNO has covered Sandfort as an NBA lock more than they’ve covered Cyclones who were actually lottery picks and NBA All Star Starters.
KXNO is not a barometer for national hype. Hell, it isn't even a good way to judge local hype.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
EVERY fanbase (though not every fan) overhypes everything about what they are fans of. That's why every offseason people start to over hype new players, their impact, the season outcome, etc. That's why everybody from ISU says Tampa is better than DeJean while everybody from Iowa says the exact opposite.

I'm not a psychology person - but I have to think that the entire pyramid of sports rests on that very core belief/hype about what's to come. If everybody had apathy, people would start to tune out. You see that play out when programs struggle - the fanbase loses hope, the hype dies, and the apathy kicks in.

It's very hard to be a fanatic and still rationale, non-biased, and realistic. You have to have a "scientific" and "data driven" mindset. I try my hardest to be those things and always get called out for being an optimist or pessimist, hater or whatever - all based on the perspective of the other person. But that overall hype of the "fanbase" is necessary to keep fans engaged and buying tickets, merchandise, donating, etc.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
KXNO has covered Sandfort as an NBA lock more than they’ve covered Cyclones who were actually lottery picks and NBA All Star Starters.
being a DSM local kid probaly amplifies that a bit

for all the ISU NBA success, none of them have been Iowans, sans Fred 30 years ago

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
being a DSM local kid probaly amplifies that a bit

for all the ISU NBA success, none of them have been Iowans, sans Fred 30 years ago

there have been quite a few Iowan NBA draft picks who played college in Kansas, North Carolina and Nebraska though. All four of those guys were essentially locks, not fringe picks like Sandfort would/will be. You're right the Iowan who stays in state and goes to the NBA has been very rare.

They treat Garza like a local (from DC) but not Monte who is Mr ISU and Mr Big 12 in terms of career stats. Ironic that they're on same team now with Monte getting playoff minutes and local Garza riding pine.

Reactions: Frak

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I will die on the hill that Mike Brandtner could have been an NFL punter. Lord knows he had plenty of practice at ISU.